Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
New PRS-300s ..1st Post to the forum!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and had my first eReader only a Month or so. It was a good way for me to get back into reading. I recently have become more high tech with a new Macbook and also netbook (for work) and my first new iPod in 6 years 9the old finally died. I went with the PRS-300 as it took most every format. I now have a little over 150 books that I have gotten from friends and other sources. I have been impressed and can't figure why its reviews are not as good as others (I'm sure its because its not wireless). I still get excited when I see the Nook at the local Barnes & Noble. I think I still want one, but not sure why. It seems there are lots of folks on here that have more than one. I can't imagine using the netbook for reading A book... Not ideal for me. I use it for email on a VPN for work and that's about it. I also bought the leatherette cover from Sony that has the light on it. I'm on my second one as the 2 way intensity switch went bad in 2 weeks. We'll see about the replacement from target (I just exchanged them). Any advice you can offer to get me more in depth to the ereader world would be great. Thanks for having me! Looking forward to it!
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Bltprf502, welcome to MR!

You might consider posting again in "Introduce Yourself" to make sure that everyone knows you're here!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
Hey Bltprf502,

Welcome to Mobileread!
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR and congratulations on your new 300, Bltprf502

Did you know that MR has free ebooks? They have been beautifully handcrafted by some very dedicated MR members. ePub format and Sony BBeB / lrf format

Free ebook sites.. feedbooks.com and manybooks.net

Free and for purchase ebooks .. smashwords.com (we have many MR author members and some MR publisher members there) and baen.com Plus Baen has a free library

You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books. and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

Have fun in the forums and ask if you have any questions.

PS Check my signature and click on the links to find more information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books. and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.
Calibre manages DRM'd books as well it just can't convert or read those books. It is able to update metadata for most all formats.

@Bltprf502 Welcome aboard glad to have another ereader user in our midst.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
Wow cool! Nice welcome for sure. I have been doing other forums for the past several years and just stumbled on this one. I'm glad to see I'm not the minority of getting free books. I already have 150 on mine (which God only knows how long that will take to tackle). I buy the books too, but I started with the free ones first. I do wish mine had wireless so I could get newspapers, but I suppose I can use my laptop like always. For some reason I want a second reader which does not make any sense. But, I want a second (seems so excessive and unnecessary). I guess it the toy thing. I also always use a Mac right next to a netbook because I like the best of PC and Mac. Thanks for the leads. I initially had some crash troubles with the PRS-300s, but when I finally decided to follow the directions and call tech support for help I have been up and running. The exception being I loaded Men's Journal Magazine with pictures and it froze it on page 17. I had to reset it with the paperclip sized hole and reboot. Problem fixed. I have been hearing some bad stuff about these Sony's on various sites and even more bad stuff about the Sony ebook store being a night mare to use. Not sure what to think. I have 90 days to take it back (now 60), but so far so good. I think some folks expect too much sometimes... Thanks again!
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
For what it's worth, Bltprf502, I got my Sony because I really dislike my Nook. I have to give the Sony two (arthritic) thumbs up ; it's thin and light and yet solidly built, and the buttons work with a light touch.

Oh, and the reader software is fully functional, including a "Go To Page" function (which you don't realize you need until you get a brand of ereader that doesn't have it).

Last edited by NNolan; 03-16-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: To add...
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
I do wish mine had wireless so I could get newspapers, but I suppose I can use my laptop like always.
I get manage my ebooks and get news by using Calibre. Calibre has recipes that allow you to schedule and download news from 100s of sources. I even created recipes for two local papers in NC and submitted them for inclusion. I attached an example series from my news downloads via Calibre.

Quote:
The exception being I loaded Men's Journal Magazine with pictures and it froze it on page 17. I had to reset it with the paperclip sized hole and reboot. Problem fixed.
Some html is just not part of the standard epub rendering engine and will lock up or reboot any reader.

Quote:
I have been hearing some bad stuff about these Sony's on various sites and even more bad stuff about the Sony ebook store being a night mare to use. Not sure what to think. I have 90 days to take it back (now 60), but so far so good. I think some folks expect too much sometimes... Thanks again!
I don't think you'll find a better reader for the price this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-1-25_0.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	48217   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-1-25_1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	48218   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-1-25_2.jpg
Views:	208