Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad available for preorder to everyone (who is invited)

Not with a bang but with a whimper iRex opened their online store today. Although it's still not officially announced, as our savvy readers pointed out, you can now preorder your own iRex iLiad e-book reader for 649 Euro (plus 20 Euro for shipping). *bummer* turned out I was a bit too euphoric -- you still need to be "invited" by iRex in order to complete the pre-order.

Watch out though: the iLiad is not expected to be in stock before the last week of June, and iRex doesn't exactly have a good track record of meeting their deadlines.

[via Engadget]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So who has ordered one...? Do I trust Irex with 600 euros...? Oh... You still need that elusive invite...!

Last edited by jęd; 06-16-2006 at 04:31 PM.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Not with a bang but with a whimper iRex opened their online store today. Although it's still not officially anounced, as our savvy readers pointed out, you can now preorder your own iRex iLiad e-book reader for 649 Euro (plus 20 Euro for shipping).

Watch out though: the iLiad is not expected to be in stock before the last week of June, and iRex doesn't exactly have a good track record of meeting their deadlines.

[via Engadget]
Either I am missing something , or this isn't quite right. You cannot preorder unless you have an invitation email, as discussed in other threads. You can add the Iliad to your cart, but to check out you need to login, and to login you need an invitation (the register button doesn't allow you to register, only to login). So today is no different from the situation this since earlier this week - Engadget was a little behind the curve... .

Out of curiosity - is there anyone from the US who has received an invitation email?
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't, but I'll let y'all know if I do (though I'll be out for a couple of weeks starting the 22nd).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Oliver, thanks for the correction. I was too excited for a moment so I didn't complete the check-out process to find out that you indeed still need an invitation.

Edited the first post accordingly.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Oliver, thanks for the correction. I was too excited for a moment so I didn't complete the check-out process to find out that you indeed still need an invitation.

Edited the first post accordingly.
I wish that you had been right, believe me... !! I am scanning my inbox for that elusive invitation, which seems more desireable around here than tickets to the World Cup Final!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What a tease... what is that with the "on invite-only" crap companies like to use so much these days? Looks like ever since Google introduced its invite-only Gmail service, everyone finds it hip to do so alike. It's ridiculous.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, the bright side is that I cannot be tempted to buy one now because I don't have an invite anyway. Really dumb communication on their part, though.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Well, the bright side is that I cannot be tempted to buy one now because I don't have an invite anyway. Really dumb communication on their part, though.
Communication seems to be the Achillesheel of Irex.
Or, as a spokesman of Irex put it:
"yes we do have those readerthingies and we do sort of ship'm... sometimes... to certain people... in certain countries... if we feel like it... for a certain amount of money... I think."

As I said earlier, this is what you get if you unchain labrats and toss them in the big bad world of commerce.
+ =
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5
+ =
Brilliant - first mathematical use of smilies I have seen!

You are the !!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
I got the invite, only because some weeks back I registered interest with their 'email us' form.
However, reluctant to order as I read that the reader was to get added 'functionality' for the non-business consumer in Sept/Oct. I want a reader mainly for e-books and maybe for getting news/blogs etc.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can sense a second-hand market for dealing with invites here
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #13
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
what is that with the "on invite-only" crap companies like to use so much these days? Looks like ever since Google introduced its invite-only Gmail service, everyone finds it hip to do so alike. It's ridiculous.
Not from the point of iRex. I suspect the one thing they don't want to have now is a support problem: lots of single tech-happy users with problems and questions that are of comparatively small interest to solve on a bit by bit basis. Particularly if their customer support isn't geared to that kind of situation. It just steals time better spent on supporting B2B customers -- i.e. where the money iRex will live on is --, and rarely generates anything else but heat. The heat that comes from 'I can't get my hands on one' is of a different kind than 'It doesn't work -- it must be crap'.

That, I suspect, is the reason for the 'invite': do you represent a company that reasonably can be expected to provide content or application or other interest that can be expected to increase the demand for the device? That is, is a unit sold to you very likely to generate future sales? Yes? Welcome, step right in. No? -- sorry, you'll have to wait a bit longer. Of course, I'm guessing here ... but my guesses are based on experiences from a company in much the same situation that iRex is is now. You don't want to spend money on the wrong thing until you have a reasonable economy. I'd be surprised if iRex thought their cashflow would come from enthusiasts and early adopters of the platform.

I'm waiting for September myself -- or rather when iRex opens their shop for end-users. That's when they think the device as well as their customer support is at a level where they can handle it. Or ... when they have decided that they won't give any support to end-users at all, but only to companies. There is a possibility that iRex may prefer to see themselves as a platform provider, and such companies are very rarely interested in supporting end-users.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #14
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Ah sorry but i think you overrate what Irex do or not do. I don't think they do a selection about who to invite and who not. They are just a little bit unorganized and need some time (and probably miss some people).

I contacted them on 2 different ways. One time for a company which has nothing and really nothing to do with ebooks or technical gadgets in general but i used the e-mail form they had on their site to get informed when shop opens.

The second way was for my own company which could generate many distributors for a device like the ilead. I contacted them 2 times but not with the email form mentioned above and what should i say for the first company nothing to do with ebooks i got an invite for the second i not even got a reply ...

Hope they will get their things done in the next few month or act more professional with other companies cause if not the iLead will be the next "money run out and product line shut down" ebook thing out there (which would be a pity).
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I can sense a second-hand market for dealing with invites here

LOL. If I get one I will offer it for free. I still want the device, but my crazy lust for it has ebbed where I would not pay an estimated $850 for it. I will wait to see what their B2B partners offer it for come late summer early fall.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote