Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 03:21 AM   #1
Patrick V
Patrick V began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo weird rendering of complex styles...

Hi,

I read my epubs on a Kobo Aura H2O and write them as a hobby. I use Sigil and Caliber to edit them.

Here is the result I get on both Sigil and Caliber: when I stretch the text, it is correctly redisplayed:

On my Kobo, the lines overlap...

If I sideload the file in kepub, the behavior is correct... but then I have problems with the notes (styles not rendered in popups).

Should render like this:

I know Calibre/Sigil and Kobo don't use the same rendering engine (webkit vs adobe rmsdk).

I would like to create an epub that behaves correctly on all platforms (probably a dream....)

Is it possible to adapt my xhtml and css codes to achieve this goal for this particular epub?

I attached the test.epub file. Maybe you can test it on another platform ?

Thank you for your advice,

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.png
Views:	97
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	206844   Click image for larger version

Name:	img3.png
Views:	92
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	206845   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.png
Views:	90
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	206846  
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (4.0 KB, 24 views)
Patrick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:48 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick V View Post
Hi,
I read my epubs on a Kobo Aura H2O and write them as a hobby. I use Sigil and Caliber to edit them.

Here is the result I get on both Sigil and Caliber: when I stretch the text, it is correctly redisplayed:
On my Kobo, the lines overlap...
In landscape mode? Because in portrait is impossible that lines are not overlapped.

Your epub has many errors; maybe if you first fix them, things work fine in your Kobo Aura.

Quote:
If I sideload the file in kepub, the behavior is correct... but then I have problems with the notes (styles not rendered in popups).
Try fixing the errors because them are in notes.xhtml.

Quote:
I know Calibre/Sigil and Kobo don't use the same rendering engine (webkit vs adobe rmsdk).

I would like to create an epub that behaves correctly on all platforms (probably a dream....)

Is it possible to adapt my xhtml and css codes to achieve this goal for this particular epub?
All platforms? What do you mean? Epub2/epub3? Webkit/RMSDK? Legacy ADE (RMSDK) doesn't support epub3. If for all platforms you mean epub2 for Webkit/RMSDK, well, build an epub for RMSDK and what you get, it will work also for webkit. By the way, Kobo has a nice support for epub3 (at least, Kobo for Android and iOS; I don't know if all eink devices have been updated with the last rendering engine).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert