Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
Pred17
Pred17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Best firmware for PW4

Hey there, just got my PW4 today and noticed it shipped with the 5.11.2 firmware. My question is, should I update to the newer versions or just stay at 5.11.2? I've been reading stuff about the newer firmware versions and seen that some people aren't very pleased with them. Would I be losing anything if I just avoid those updates?
Thanks!
Pred17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Hmm...
How do you plan to avoid the updates?
Aren't you already running a version new enough to defeat our update blocker(s)?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Pred17

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
Aren't you already running a version new enough to defeat our update blocker(s)?
Am I? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie. Is there no way of preventing updates from 5.11.2, except never connecting to the wifi?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
My PW4 is on 5.11.2 with "Block updates" switched on in KUAL, and it blocks updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred17 View Post
My question is, should I update to the newer versions or just stay at 5.11.2?
I've never had any problems with 5.11.2 which is why I have stayed on it.

Last edited by RandomGiraffe; 06-09-2020 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Adding more info
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I just read books on my Kindle PW4. I don't want to "break" it and I don't want to surf the net and I don't want to download books from strange sources. I have more books than I'll read in my lifetime now. I don't keep up with changes from one firmware to another but I have no problem reading my books and the new features are, for me, generally either welcome or something I ignore.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Pred17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
My PW4 is on 5.11.2 with "Block updates" switched on in KUAL, and it blocks updates

I've never had any problems with 5.11.2 which is why I have stayed on it.
I'm assuming KUAL is something you can install only on a jailbroken Kindle. Since my Kindle shipped with 5.11.2 and the jailbreak guide says I can jailbreak Kindles only on 5.10.1.3, I haven't even attempted to jailbreak it. Am I wrong in assuming that my current version is not jailbreakable?

@patrickt: ty for your input, I might just go for the newest firmware version, if there are no negatives for it