Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
3rd party software from iLiad to DR1000?

Hi

Still I am deciding if I shall buy the DR1000 or not (or lets say, I try to be more patient )

One question is: Will it be easy to port the existing iLiads 3rd party Software to the new DR1000? Or will it need completely new approach?

I like the 3rd party software very much (Abiword, emel, Wiki etc.) and ask myself if it will take a long time to port them for DR1000...

Maybe someone who is porting can say more.
Thanks very much!

Gogolo

P.S.: Tribble, do you hear us calling from the deepness of the Internet?
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Will all users have the ability to run 3rd party software out of the box or is there a need to install a developer package like with the iLiad?
A: Custom application can be build using the SDK, the executable can be stored on the SD-card and started using a link in the Home location. The SDK will be available in the first week of October.
The FAQ is generally informative, but this is a non-answer. If ALL 3rd-party software has to go through the SDK, then it depends on what the SDK allows.

We will know more when the SDK, and the source code for the Open Source software that is on the DR1000, is released.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
If you believe iRex then it should be very difficult. They are saying the two systems are so different that the earlier decision to upgrade older Liad readers will not happen. They maybe using more low level calls than third party applications but this might be an indication of what to expect. If it is easy to port old applications then one might wonder why they are abandoning the iLiad platform. Maybe some application developers can pipe in to agree or dispute my assumption. Or as wallcraft suggested it might be too early to tell.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I suspect the screen refresh procedures have changed. I'll take a look at the SDK when it's released to see how much work it will be to port iLiad apps to the DR.

It also has a different processor, so code will likely need to be recompiled.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
And a newer version of Linux.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
If you believe iRex then it should be very difficult. They are saying the two systems are so different that the earlier decision to upgrade older Liad readers will not happen.
Porting from iLiad -> DR (what this post is asking) is probably easier than the other way around (what iRex was talking about).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Please don't buy DR1000, if you wanna use 3rd party software with GUI. You will need at least a DR1000S [wacom, stylus].

The interface got a shift from a icon toolbar/stylus based [iLiad] to menu-based [DR] environment.
Do you know how to enable functions like zooming in the iLiad pdf viewer w/o a stylus? There is none! [EDIT: Ok, it is in unofficial ipdf only]
On the DR you press the menu button and select the fuction with arrow keys/stylus [S/SW only].

How do you port an app which has an exclusive mouse input to DR which has no mouse input [DR1000 only]?
It is much easier to ignore all DR1000 users instead of bothering with a solution. ;-(

It is not clear whether we get any USB-keyboard attached. Imho the mini-usb won't work. It's not a master. This "ipod like connector" is obscure. Bluetooth should work maybe.

As Adam said "refresh procedures" will differ.
Management of buttons input: is there still a "contentlister" which collects all input as a "black box" and tunnels it to the running app?

Last edited by yokos; 09-29-2008 at 05:41 PM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote