Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Access samba shares possible?

Just wondering if there is any way to access samba shares from Kobo devices (Touch and Glo).

I keep all my ebooks on my NAS on my home network and I want to be able to download content to my device without having to mess around with cables all the time...
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Either compile a cifs module for the Kobo kernel, or the smbclient standalone tool. The further allows to mount the remote end as a file system, while the latter allows to make copy operations. I've not yet seen a ready-made version of either of these, but you can probably lift a smbclient binary (plus the libraries it depends on) from a debian ARM installation.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Check out this thread for some info on running samba. Be aware that the samba build in that post is armel and won't run on firmware 2.6 and above. If you're running a recent firmware you'll need an armhf binary.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
As far as I can see these options will both still require me to ssh in to copy files around. The functionality I'm looking for is to browse a smb share from the kobo - select a file and have it download to the device and refresh into the library.

It's a shame that there is so little focus on file management in ereader firmwares. I wonder if we could make a basic plugin file manager...
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
rhernando
rhernando began at the beginning.

Device: Nvsbl L337
any progress on this issue?

Thanks
rhernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhernando View Post
any progress on this issue?

Thanks
This thread might have planted something in Hawhill's head, check out the latest releases of Koreader. There are now a number of wireless options, including OPDS support and zsync.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-08-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
rhernando
rhernando began at the beginning.

Device: Nvsbl L337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
This thread might have planted something in Hawhill's head, check out the latest releases of Koreader. There are now a number of wireless options, including OPDS support and zsync.

Luck;
Ken
that's awesome!

thank you
rhernando is offline   Reply With Quote