Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #46
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Smashwords scares me. It's a little ironic, perhaps, given that I'm published on Smashwords, but whenever I glance at their main page it's always cluttered with a long list of books that just look...well, terrible. The blurbs are so amateurish and many of the plotlines so absurd it's almost as if the author had posted a giant sign reading, "Don't Bother With This! It's Not Really Worth It".

I'm sure there's worthwhile content there but I'm not sure where to find it; looking for a good read on Smashwords feels like wading into a sewage canal to go oyster-diving. Maybe there's something out there worth finding, but how much swill will I end up drinking first? It might help if there were a reliable blog that reviewed Smashwords books or something...
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Just butting in on the formatting here: I like a blank space between paragraphs. Maybe it comes from reading too many technical books ... I dunno. I just prefer it that way.
No way.. that just ruins the reading experience. Takes me away from the story to have to deal with a blank line that should not exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #48
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Just butting in on the formatting here: I like a blank space between paragraphs. Maybe it comes from reading too many technical books ... I dunno. I just prefer it that way.
I strongly agree with you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #49
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
I'm about 1/2 way through The Book of Adam: Autobiography of the First Human Clone. Enjoying it very much!

Also, it's free!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #50
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Smashwords scares me. It's a little ironic, perhaps, given that I'm published on Smashwords, but whenever I glance at their main page it's always cluttered with a long list of books that just look...well, terrible. The blurbs are so amateurish and many of the plotlines so absurd it's almost as if the author had posted a giant sign reading, "Don't Bother With This! It's Not Really Worth It".

I'm sure there's worthwhile content there but I'm not sure where to find it; looking for a good read on Smashwords feels like wading into a sewage canal to go oyster-diving. Maybe there's something out there worth finding, but how much swill will I end up drinking first? It might help if there were a reliable blog that reviewed Smashwords books or something...
You know, I always say Smashwords is my favorite place to get books (and it is), but I realize I only go for books I've seen promoted here on MR, either by the author him/herself, or by another member. Even with that, I generally am much more willing to download a free or $1 book than something that costs more, if it's the first book I'm reading by that author. I have found my tastes don't always mirror others'.

I rarely wade through on my own trying to find something good. The sheer amount of erotic literature gets in the way. I'm afraid to turn on the prude filter though, as it may filter out the non-erotic books that just have more adult content/language.

By the way, as to the original topic, my own smashwords page leads to books I enjoyed, if we have at all similar tastes (I wish smashwords would list the reviews on each profile page in order from 5 stars to 1 star instead of by date- would make it easier to wade through if someone has a lot of reviews)

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 08-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #51
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post

As a "smashwords author" myself, I've got to agree. I haven't done much browsing and all of the smashwords books I've downloaded were written by people I'd "met" on other sites. It's not set up in a way that's inviting to consumers. They don't have the search engine set up to show you 99 cent bargains or books that are "hot" that week. It's not fun or attractive. I use it for one reason -- Smash premium will get your books into the other major e-stores, eventually.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #52
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
GraceKrispy, I checked out your page and had to laugh at how many of the books you like are on my own TBR list. We must have similar tastes in some books. I will be checking your page often for other books. Thanks for the resource to help weed out the junk on SW.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote