Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Post Any Free Academic Journals Out There?

Hey, I'm looking for Academic Journals that I can write a recipe to periodically download to my ebook reader. The main obstacle seems to be that 99% of Academic Journals cost money, and I'm broke, so I'm trying to find out if there are any free ones out there.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Try this :http://www.doaj.org/
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
On what topic?

http://arxiv.org/

is the site for math / computer science / physics....

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Oxford University Press offers free summaries which can be very interesting.
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Try the world’s movement to make the science production of Academic and Research Institutions available for free via Institutional Repositories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_repository).

You can get a very complete list of available ones via OpenDoar (http://www.opendoar.org).

In Portugal we have several of them who can be accessed by the RCAAP portal (Repositório Científico de Acesso Aberto de Portugal - http://www.rcaap.pt/index.jsp?locale=en), who by today aggregates information from 28 Portuguese Repositories and has 44.442 documents (most in Portuguese but also lots in English too).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
NASA Tech Briefs ?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Excellent question!! Permit me to recommend PLoS - great collection of journals, publishes a lot of neat research in biology & genetics. If you follow the link, you'll see a list of their journals on the right hand side of the page - PLoS Medicine, PLoS Genetics, PLoS Pathogens (my personal favorite) and so on.

Also check out BioMedCentral, another publisher with some free journals. If you're looking for research on a particular topic, there's no better place to start than PubMed. If you do a search for a particular subject, PubMed is the best place to start; once you do a search, you can filter your results so that only free-access articles show up (it's cheap, I know, but I do that all the time)
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
And while we're on the subject of scientific journals, here's a PLoS Pathogens study I liked so much I thought I ought to share it. (Yeah, I'm a nerd, I know, but hey, biology is cool) Just to summarize briefly: It's about an ongoing evolutionary arms race involving a species of maternally-inherited bacteria that selectively kills males.

Male insects, that is.

The victim is actually a species of ladybird, to be precise. I've read elsewhere about another genus of bacteria that exhibits comparable behavior (Wolbachia), but this one is especially cool because a gene sequence comparison suggests it's most closely related to similar bacteria in aphids, suggesting some unfortunate ladybird ingested this vile bacterium together with their dinner.

Bacteria that selectively kill males, are passed from mother to child and between predator and prey? The sci-fi fan in me loves this kind of stuff. Way too cool
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote