Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Is this a DRM issue?

Previously I could convert .azw to .epub for my Nook. Now I no longer can.

I thought there was no problem purchasing an .azw from Amazon, so I downloaded Kindle For PC so I would have a place to put the file. Though I am able to import the file into Calibre, I can not get it onto my Nook.

Ideas?
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Could be DRM. The wiki entry says that AZW is available with and without DRM. If the file you're trying to convert is infested, you should get a warning from Calibre that it cannot convert due to DRM.
It would, by the way, help if you fleshed the part where you "no longer can" convert the file out a bit. Details are good for troubleshooting, otherwise we're guessing.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Previously I could convert .azw to .epub for my Nook. Now I no longer can.

I thought there was no problem purchasing an .azw from Amazon, so I downloaded Kindle For PC so I would have a place to put the file. Though I am able to import the file into Calibre, I can not get it onto my Nook.

Ideas?
Probably DRM, the error message when you try to convert or open the file in Calibre should be fairly clear. You'll want to install version 1.4.1 of Kindle for PC (not the current 1.5 version). And consult Apprentice Alf, of course.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You'll want to install version 1.4.1 of Kindle for PC (not the current 1.5 version). And consult Apprentice Alf, of course.
How do I download 1.4.1 version? (I see no choices on the Amazon site)

Apprentice Alf?

Thanks
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Apprentice Alf?
LMGTFY. (I've always wanted to use that )
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
WTF ?

PS ( for OP ) google" kindle for PC version 1.4" - plenty of download sites till available.
Once installed turn off auto-update + put the installer in a safe place.

PPS. get into the habit - with ALL software, of stashing previous versions of installers - you never know when you're gonna need one & it saves a lot of searching.

Last edited by cybmole; 05-15-2011 at 02:14 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
WTF ?
Seems pretty clear. I guess you could search on Google for "let me google that for you".
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
WTF ?
And certainly nicer than GIYF. FWIW, I thought his answer was appropriate. I'd given the OP what he needed, without violating the rules here, and all the OP needed to do was search on the phrase I'd given him to get the answer to both who Apprentice Alf is, and how to download 1.4.1 which is linked off of Alf's site.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

As a clarification, I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, I just always wanted to use that link. I think it's mildly funny
Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
As a clarification, I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, I just always wanted to use that link. I think it's mildly funny
Nope, didn't think you were. (And I agree, it's mildly funny. But also instructive.)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
That's a first for me...now I want to use it too.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
i use "the k4 one" without having to install any version of kindle for pc - hell i'm using it on linux - you can just use the azw files from your kindle.

Last edited by sej7278; 05-19-2011 at 07:31 AM.
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
FWIW I thought it was a bit more than MILDLY funny
Like kiwi I want to use it to!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
i use "the k4 one" without having to install any version of kindle for pc - hell i'm using it on linux - you can just use the azw files from your kindle.
But if you don't have a Kindle, but another type of reader, Kindle for PC is the only way to download books from Amazon, AFAIK.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
But if you don't have a Kindle, but another type of reader, Kindle for PC is the only way to download books from Amazon, AFAIK.
Or Kindle 4 Mac or Kindle for iPhone or Kindle for Android...

Whatever your computer, there seems to be an app for it.

IAC, to read it on another reader, you'll need to remove any DRM on it.

Tags
drm