Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Any information about Pocketbook IQ?

I'm very interested in Pocketbook IQ that will be avaiable from 1st. Nov. (Am I right?)

From my short research, it seems that there are several sellers of this gadget.

http://www.pocketgoods.de/eBook-Read...ro-603-75.html
http://www.ebookreaderdiscounter.com...er/pocketbook/

The sellers listed some features and the specification of Pocketbook IQ but it's quite vague to me. I know that they employed Android 2.0 OS (which will be updated to 2.2 Froyo in December) and it will not have 'Market' but allow third party apps installed. Actually, the hardware is almost same as that of Pandigital reader white. (I read this somewhere on the web.) It has tts functions and can read lots of document formats. The manufacturer emphasized the 'entertainment' feature of this gadget compared to Pandigital reader. You also explore web browser with it.

Now, I need more information to decide my purchase.
1. How does the touch screen work? (resistive? capacitive?)
2. The multimedia capability of IQ? (avi? mkv?, H264? any codec needed and limited on it?)
3. Is there any demo video on IQ? No clue about interface or speed..
4. Functionality as an ereader? (dictionaries (which langauges?), note-taking? PDF fucntions available on pocketbook 603...? )
5. Does this have a stylus pen? (no picture shows the stylus pen...)

I am also considering a galaxy tab as a 7inch tablet (including ereader functions). The price and functions of IQ are very attractive to me though the weight is somewhat heavy considering it is 7inch. Anybody who would share your information for me? Thanks for reading.

Katzki
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
I'm very interested in Pocketbook IQ that will be avaiable from 1st. Nov. (Am I right?)

From my short research, it seems that there are several sellers of this gadget.

http://www.pocketgoods.de/eBook-Read...ro-603-75.html
http://www.ebookreaderdiscounter.com...er/pocketbook/

The sellers listed some features and the specification of Pocketbook IQ but it's quite vague to me. I know that they employed Android 2.0 OS (which will be updated to 2.2 Froyo in December) and it will not have 'Market' but allow third party apps installed. Actually, the hardware is almost same as that of Pandigital reader white. (I read this somewhere on the web.) It has tts functions and can read lots of document formats. The manufacturer emphasized the 'entertainment' feature of this gadget compared to Pandigital reader. You also explore web browser with it.

Now, I need more information to decide my purchase.
1. How does the touch screen work? (resistive? capacitive?)
2. The multimedia capability of IQ? (avi? mkv?, H264? any codec needed and limited on it?)
3. Is there any demo video on IQ? No clue about interface or speed..
4. Functionality as an ereader? (dictionaries (which langauges?), note-taking? PDF fucntions available on pocketbook 603...? )
5. Does this have a stylus pen? (no picture shows the stylus pen...)

I am also considering a galaxy tab as a 7inch tablet (including ereader functions). The price and functions of IQ are very attractive to me though the weight is somewhat heavy considering it is 7inch. Anybody who would share your information for me? Thanks for reading.

Katzki
The hardware of the IQ is the same as the one from the Pandigital Novel, but with extra PocketBook software, of course

The weight is quite important, but the tablet is encased in metal, so no plastic here, it's all metal.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I just checked the Pandigital Novel website, and the presentation of the device was quite nice. Reviews on some websites weren't that positive. Would it be possible to see some screenshots of the IQ any time soon, and to see that extra Pocketbook software?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
The hardware of the IQ is the same as the one from the Pandigital Novel, but with extra PocketBook software, of course

The weight is quite important, but the tablet is encased in metal, so no plastic here, it's all metal.
So you mean the way of touch screen is "resistive" as tht of Pandigital Nove?

I understand why it weighs that much... all metal... but don't see pros of metal case... maybe need more information.

To little information on IQ has been revealed. Not many screen shots. No youtube videos... Cannot guess the software part of this device.

One more question I have is,
when will IQ be available in the USA?
I heard that IQ has passed FCC in the USA so expected coming out soon...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
katzki
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I just checked the Pandigital Novel website, and the presentation of the device was quite nice. Reviews on some websites weren't that positive. Would it be possible to see some screenshots of the IQ any time soon, and to see that extra Pocketbook software?
Reviews on Pandigital Novel are not that positive overally...
Though, it seems that people enjoy that device by hacking android to install third party apps. I agree. I am also eager to see the software difference between pandigital novel and IQ. No screen shots or demo videos available now. Maybe, it is because this device is too cheap compared with other newly launching ereaders.. so they put less resource to introduce this one than for the others

Last edited by katzki; 10-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
Reviews on Pandigital Novel are not that positive overally...
Though, it seems that people enjoy that device by hacking android to install third party apps. I agree. I am also eager to see the software difference between pandigital novel and IQ. No screen shots or demo videos available now. Maybe, it is because this device is too cheap compared with other newly launching ereaders.. so they put less resource to introduce this one than for the others
Well, it's not us. We have shown the device at the IFA and Buchmesse.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, it's not us. We have shown the device at the IFA and Buchmesse.
Are there any videos showing the device up close? Or any reviews describing the device? Most of what I found has been on the 601&2/901&2 e-readers.

I will most likely get this, but I would still like to see as much detail as I can. Took me months of research and reading and asking questions before settling on my e-reader.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
katzki
Zealot

Another concern I have over IQ is the battery duration time of IQ as Pandigital novel has been notorious for its short battery time.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is the PocketBook IQ software similar to the other PocketBook products? That is, open source? Will I be able to download any Android apps I want? I've read about some Android tablets being closed-source which prevents you from downloading apps.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
If you want some balanced reviews of the PDN, check out the Newegg reviews of the Cruz Reader (another PDN clone). Most people say it functions pretty well, but you need to have realistic expectations going in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

At the US price of 140, it seems like one heck of a deal.

And if you're concerned about the screen (and live in the US) just go down to a Borders and play with a Cruz. They should have them on display.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
emini_guy
emini_guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
And if you're concerned about the screen (and live in the US) just go down to a Borders and play with a Cruz. They should have them on display.
I did and I was not impressed. Slower than iPad, to begin with.

I hope IQ is faster (more responsive), and its battery lasts at least 10 hours for normal reading. Then the price of $140 is indeed a very good deal. Otherwise, I would rather choose iPad.
emini_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by emini_guy View Post
I hope IQ is faster (more responsive), and its battery lasts at least 10 hours for normal reading. Then the price of $140 is indeed a very good deal. Otherwise, I would rather choose iPad.
Uh, you want an Android webpad (with a 533MHz cpu) that costs $140 to match the performance of a 1GHz system that runs $500+?
Granted that Apple hardware is built off massive profit margins, but not even Apple overcharges that badly.

IQ is *explicitly* being marketed as a color ebook reader, not a mediapad like the iPad.
If you want iPad features and performance, today, you have to pay iPad prices.
TINSTAAFL!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Q: As Android releases appear, will the PocketBook IQ keep up, or, is Android 2.0 as far as it will go?

Q: Is there a way to add 3G, or, connect via 3G in some fashion?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
katzki
Zealot

I was trying to find any information about Pocketbook IQ
and I found some official site of Pocketbook IQ I guess in Ukreinian site...

http://pocketbook.ua/products/pocketbook-iq/

Here, I got very confused since they say the processor of IQ is Samsung 800 mHz, not 533 mHz as was known in other sites. Which one is right? 800 or 533? Of course I would like to have the higher one.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
katzki
Zealot

Here is my guess.

Since the hardware of PB IQ is the same as that of Pandigital Novel,
I can imagine that the processor speed of PB IQ might be able to reach upto 800mHz with some hacking tool. Am I right? Or maybe the processor speed might be already 800mHz with no need of any hack.