Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
which is currently the best device to read on the go?

hello!

which is currently the best device to read on the go?
not in black'n'white only, but in color

there are many factors to consider, battery life, screen visibility under sunlight, screen resolution, other features as connectivity, translation, web, interaction via pen or touch, etc

thanks!

PS: if you know an announced future release that it's worth to wait, please share!

Last edited by user; 04-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No color screen is going to be readable in sunlight. You didn't mention what size you were thinking of. There are smartphones and the iPod in the smaller sizes, and 7" tablets. If they are Android, the app availability for reading is all pretty much the same. Battery life of a color screen is not going to be nearly as good as an e-ink reader.

Were you interested in paying for 3G connectivity, or is wi-fi enough for you?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
user
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
No color screen is going to be readable in sunlight. You didn't mention what size you were thinking of. There are smartphones and the iPod in the smaller sizes, and 7" tablets. If they are Android, the app availability for reading is all pretty much the same. Battery life of a color screen is not going to be nearly as good as an e-ink reader.

Were you interested in paying for 3G connectivity, or is wi-fi enough for you?
readability is a must, I can ignore all the others, since I am looking mainly for a reader, not a device that can do what my smartphone or laptop etc does

other features as connectivity, battery life, etc are just welcomed

so, as for readability, I may go for grayscale, what how do colored pages display there? are they readable?

I also consider its size as a readability factor, not a portability, or whatever factor, so I guess the bigger the better (or the bigger resolution, the better)
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
You've basically got two options: e-ink ereaders, which are grayscale only, or a tablet of some kind (whether it's a regular tablet or an LCD ereader - same thing).

Tablets will not be very readable in sunlight. It's just how they are.

So if you want daylight readability, you have to go with an e-ink reader, which will not do color.

Most e-ink ereaders are 6-inch, which is plenty for reading novels, which is their intended use. There are some bigger ones around the 9-inch range, but they're disappearing quickly due to lack of demand.

E-ink is not fantastic with displaying images. If that's what you want, an e-ink reader is not for you. And while many e-ink readers do have internet connectivity and web browsers, they are not very fun to navigate because the refresh rate is slow. You won't want to do any significant amount browsing on an e-ink device

What exactly are you looking to use it for?
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
user
Connoisseur

reading scientific textbooks and research papers on the go is my intention
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
user
Connoisseur

Neither Triton does the work?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Shouldn't this thread be moved to "which ereader should I get" subforum?

Anyway, there is the Jetbook Color, by Etaco. People have said the software has issues, however. You can see some videos on youtube. The price is pretty darn high.

There is also the Kyobo Reader, which you need to import from Korea. People have not praised it that highly either, though.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Shouldn't this thread be moved to "which ereader should I get" subforum?<snip>
Now moved to the "Which one should I buy?" forum.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
user
Connoisseur

how about Hanvon color eReader?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I've read in the iPad 3 outside without too much trouble and the brightness was about halfway. If you can buy it and afford it, it would give you good resale when you want to sell it a year from now or something.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
semioticwafture
Enthusiast
semioticwafture began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
reading scientific textbooks and research papers on the go is my intention
I've been using my Kindle (4, non-touch) for reading PDF files - including a few-hundred page thesis with diagrams. I've been very pleased with it for that.

I use it in landscape mode. It seems to auto-crop so the whole screen is used without too much white space at the edges - at least, I found I haven't needed to crop before loading PDFs onto it.

Some PDFs end up with fairly small font size, and that font size is not easy to alter due to the nature of PDF -- fine if your eyesight is good like me, maybe not otherwise. You can zoom, but I haven't seen any evidence of usable scrolling behaviour when zoomed (i.e. scrolling that isn't highly labour-intensive). Kindle DX is bigger and I believe designed for this very purpose, but I think not available in UK? Personally I prefer the small size of Kindle 4 non-touch.

Kindle touch used to be poor on PDF. I hear it has got better at that, but have no personal experience with it to share.
semioticwafture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX is saddled with the K2 firmware and PDF functionality. It is larger so that it is easy to use and you get more on the page. You can hack it to add the K3 firmware which does a better job with PDFs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote