Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #61
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yes, I know, which is why I haven't let my Kobo Touch connect to the 'Net since I became aware of it.
I'm confident that the hostsfile tweak kills the tracking. If internet privacy is your big concern, I hope you're already using Ghostery, cookie whitelists and a whole lot more. But on topic: Using a current firmware revision is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
My question is, how do I get rid of this [tracking]? Is this like spyware on your computer? I've never come across this tidbit in my reading here over the past year and I'm not happy about this. How do I stop it?

Oh, and to stay on topic, so far my Kobo Touch is working quite well with this new firmware, and also with the newer Calibre upgrade as well. So far I'm happy.
Here's my write-up of the KT's tracking integration. It's not spyware per-se, but it's best to read this and decide for yourself: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897098 Directions on how to disable it (a very simple task!) are included.
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #62
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've had 1.9.17 for a couple of days now and it's working well. I've probably read a couple of hours in that time and the double-tap problem is all but gone (enough to make me think the remaining occasional issues are me not tapping firmly or long enough).

I haven't noticed any change in the top margin with either side-loaded books or kepubs - but I've only tested a few.

When I got my Kobo, having had Kindles, I was surprised how much change goes into a firmware update. I would mainly expect bug fixes and maybe a few minor enhancements, not significant changes to the UI. Having said that if we get collections/shelves then that would be something I'm happy about.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #63
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
I'm not sure many people realize some of the complexities of software development. For example:
- Kobo has several devices, and each device requires both maintenance (support) and new features (development)...not just the Touch
- In order for the software to be manageable, I suspect Kobo tries to keep a single set of source code across all devices where possible. Having to add the same function to each device individually would be cost-prohibitive and would just get passed on to the consumer.
- Most software shops stick to a regular schedule for software releases. Time for requirements gathering (defects + new features); time to design the changes; time to develop the changes; time to test the changes internally; time to beta test the changes with the community. This all takes time. 3 months is very typical.

I've been working in software for 25 years, so I could go on...
I'm not sure some developers realize how frustrating it can be to use buggy software. It is easy to explain the problem away, provide workarounds, or try to ignore it, but at some point, you need to fix it.

I've been a user for 40 years, and working in software for 26.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #64
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Anyone else having problems with 1.9.17 connecting to wifi? Every time I start up the web browser
or press the sync button, I get the loading animation on the top left of the screen for a
while. It then gives me a list of hotspots to connect to and I can choose my home network
and it connects instantly.
+1

Went looking to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Table of contents bug looks much better. It still happens, but only the first time you use it on a new book?
On further use of the table of contents, I would say it misbehaves 1 out of 5 times.
Quote:
... Footnotes are still flakey. Deleting books on the device is still a little flakey (need an extra tap to refresh). Getting a dictionary definition was flakey (need an extra tap.)

Had a strange one with footnotes. I would tap on the footnote, and nothing would happen. I then tap the screen again, and it would go to the home screen. And I don't think this footnote/endnote was on the last page as there were more endnotes after it. Very strange.

FWIW, I have a Kobo Touch with Special offers and the 3/17 plugin is installed. I'm reading side-loaded ePubs.

I also see the top margin difference. I had to reformat my side-loaded epubs to add a margin (using Calibre). I use multiple devices, so it would be be nice if there was an option for this on the Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #66
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Before the update I had no difficulty connecting to my wifi. Now I have to wait for the animation to stop then selecet my connection from the list.
It can also fail to find my connection to save the bookmark when i put it to sleep.

So hoping this will be corrected otherwise no problems and still happy with Touch and Vox.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
I sure understand complexity here, but they could spend some more time working on polishing/fixing already existing features instead of adding a new Facebook thingy, don't you think?
PS. I'd be really content with the new firmware but for the margins problems (just try to imagine reading a paper book without any margins.)
I completely agree that thorough regression testing is essential, but in my experience, not all ePubs are created equal...nor is this problem unique to the Kobo. As for the Facebook integration, although I will likely never use it, I understand why they added it. If Kobo wants to stay competitive, they need to sell devices, and like it or not, this feature will sell devices. I think they are trying to strike the best balance between keeping existing users happy and getting new ones. Perfect? No. But pretty good.
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #68
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin500 View Post
Oh come off it you may not be affiliated with the Kobo company, but you sure sound like you are.
Maybe it's just your round and aboot way of showing your loyalty to a Canadian company( if they are still Canadian)
I think someone needs a hug.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #69
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
So no major new features in this release. That's ok with me, although I wish they would add a proper "Currently reading" list ordered from most recently read to oldest. (No, the Recently Read list doesn't do that - it shows all the books that you have loaded but not read mixed in)
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #70
arnique
arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Nook/Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem the top doesn't have any margin anymore.. My text is freakishly close to the top of the screen.

Edit: After checking a few other normal epubs I have to conclude it is just the book I first looked at "The Vampire's Assistant", that I borrowed from the public library Overdrive system.
Nope, not just you. I also have this problem with all my epubs. Before it just used to be weird margins for Kobo epubs but now I also have no top margin and huge bottom margins for side loaded epubs as well.

Any solution short of reformatting using Calibre? I have a lot of books and I don't want to run conversions again.
arnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #71
jgsmith
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Ah, a fellow developer.. I've been working in the field for 20 years myself and it's my experience that the users catch some things that I and the testers missed. I'm pretty sure you have the same experience if you've been doing it as long as you have. The point here is that it may be nitpicking but there are some things that have changed in the newest firmware that we have noticed and have voiced our opinion "It's not as comfortable to read as the previous version". Personally I don't mind that the top margin CAN be touching the top. I would then like the option to SET that top margin larger like I am able with the side margins.
Absolutely! This is what impresses me most about Kobo. They do read this forum, they do reach out to individuals experiencing problems, they do engage users of this forum for Beta testing. There are not a lot of companies doing that. And human nature being what it is, I expect that posts that rant about problems will be skipped over in favour of posts that calmy and clearly report issues and ask for advice...but maybe that's just me.

On your development points, you may be right...I don't know. I used to manage a team that developed multi-platform software, and the code was only developed and unit tested once, then ported to all other platforms for system testing. Much more efficient way to work. That said, I suspect Kobo is a much smaller company than the one I work for, so they could be doing anything.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #72
jgsmith
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure some developers realize how frustrating it can be to use buggy software. It is easy to explain the problem away, provide workarounds, or try to ignore it, but at some point, you need to fix it.

I've been a user for 40 years, and working in software for 26.
Developers are people too. And probably earlier adopters of technology.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #73
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
That depends upon your definition of spyware. Ultimately, features like Reading Life and Facebook integration are about collecting marketing data. Some people think of this as spyware, others don't. Even though we don't truly know what is being sent back to Kobo servers, it is probably safe to say that they aren't collecting passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal information unless you explicitly provide it to them (say to buy a book). So it probably isn't spyware in that sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
A simple hosts file can prevent the device to connect to google-amalytics.
Unzip the attached file to .kobo directory, eject and unplug - the reader will not be able to send any information to google.
(to remove it, you have to do a factory reset)

Attachment 84108
and thank you novou, all very helpful and did a lot of reading! So thank you for your replies. I had kept my Touch in airplane mode since I bought it, until a couple of months ago when we were upgrading our wifi router at home. That's when I enabled wifi on my KT got the 1.9.6 update and things started going wrong.

Anyways, I installed that 'google disabler', so thank you. Another problem solved that I wasn't even aware needed solving.

So, I also posted yesterday in the 'tips and tricks' thread about showing book series in proper order on KT. I *thought* this was my last problem to resolve. Wrong. Although changing the Calibre code did work after I deleted 1 of the book series from my KT and re-added through Calibre, now I am getting this error:

unable to open database file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 436, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 434, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 349, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file

I figured since I would likely get these for each series, I would just start fresh, AGAIN.

So, I wiped out my Kobo, reinstalled the 'google disabler', and now I'm wondering if I should try to re-install the 1.9.7 update or leave it off? Is there a way to download it without connecting to wifi? Because that's where my problems started 2 months ago, when I enabled wifi.

Also, my Kobo's firmware is 1.9.5 r29674 Jun 27 2011. So I can't even revert back to 1.9.1xx where some people say their Kobo was the most stable, because I've never had it on my KT.

*sigh* So I'm stuck, should I upgrade the firmware to 1.9.7 and then rebuild my library, AGAIN? And will I have to do it bit by bit [no more than a few books at a time] to avoid getting this error again:

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 253, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

I thought I had this all solved with the last 2 updates of Kobo and Calibre, but I thought wrong. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Blue2u; 03-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #74
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I am still having difficulty connecting to my wifi since performing the upgrade.
i was wondering if resetting to factory default would solve the problem, then again it may not as it could be a fault with the upgrade. Any thoughts?
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post

unable to open database file

Have you looked at the suggestions in the other thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171786 especially regarding the USB chipset on your PC?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote