Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #91
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
The Fairplay DRM had never put a limit on the number of iPod you can put the songs, and the applications are not DRMed, so there is no such a limitation
You are right about the unlimited synchronization to iPods, I mixed that up (computers are limited to a number of 5). Apps are indeed DRM'ed, though. Unfortunately their DRM has already been cracked, but maybe Apple will update it with iPhone OS 4.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #92
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
>I'm that small group who looks for an ereader to be just that, a reader of ebooks.
I so agree with you! In particular, I do hope that the rush to copy Apple isn't the beginning of the end for eInk. It is obvious that the technology still has a little way to go.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #93
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
>I'm that small group who looks for an ereader to be just that, a reader of ebooks.
I so agree with you! In particular, I do hope that the rush to copy Apple isn't the beginning of the end for eInk. It is obvious that the technology still has a little way to go.
I hope there isn't a rush just to copy Apple either. I'm hoping companies continue to improve what they do best (like eInk readers) or push new technologies that Apple won't (like PixelQ). You don't challenge a company by just copying them and try to be cheaper, or dump a lot of extra features on them...you push beyond them, and offer something unique.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #94
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I hope that there's a rush to copy Apple--but not at the expense of dedicated readers or e-ink.

I want a deluge of tablets so there's a ton of competition on price and features so I can find one that fits my needs.

But that doesn't mean that e-ink or other reflective screen technology, nor dedicated readers, need to die off. There's a sizable niche of people who just read and want something optimized soley as an e-reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #95
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The likes of asus are not going to run away from e-ink while there is still a market, they'll have their tablets out there alongside their netbooks and their ereaders because that's what works best for them rather than trying to chase after a single smash hit each time.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #96
tom95521
tom95521 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard, kobo touch
I would disable in app purchases. It's being used by software developers to charge for features that should be part of the existing software (add-ons). The normal upgrades are bug fixes only. So now we buy these foot-in-the-door apps that say "level 2 can be purchased by pressing here". When I purchase software on my PC I usually get new features for free. I do not like where this trend is heading, and it should be stopped now.

I also want to lock my existing apps so I will NOT get update notifications. I don't want Apple forcing me to downgrade my app because they decided I shouldn't have a feature (usb/video streaming/...).

I am saving up to buy a 16 GB iPad wifi only and use it for web apps. No way am I buying a $15 e-book or buy a NYTimes e-subscription. What exactly is the loss on e-books that they charge $15? They don't have extra copies that didn't sell so they take a loss. Public libraries are not going away anytime soon thanks to greedy publishers.

Authors should be self publishing at $5/e-book.

Tom
tom95521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #97
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom95521 View Post
Authors should be self publishing at $5/e-book.

Tom
Actually, they are-even at $1.99/book!

http://www.themillions.com/2009/05/f...kindle_18.html Just one of the many stories you can read about by self-publishing authors.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #98
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I have something in mind that could be set up for the iPad but will not be.

I already own an iPhone and pay AT&T for their data plan. I bet a LOT of iPad buyers will be able to say that. So it would be awesome if the iPad could use the iPhone's 3G connection by wireless tethering, say ad hoc wifi. Oh, it'll never happen since AT&T squeezes more data plan cash from customers for tethering. But we can dream can't we?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #99
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Maybe I'll send an email to AT&T about that. "If I already have an iPhone with your data plan, can the iPad serial number be added so that it uses that same data path -- that I'm already paying for? "
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #100
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Just move to Europe then, guys. In Germany you can simply order a second SIM card and use it with your existing plan.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #101
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. Does anybody know that we can't do it that way, here? I have no idea.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #102
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I'm certainly no techie, but from what I've been reading, flash is going to die out. Apparently, lots of people already disable flash in their browsers.
If Flash dying out depends on the number of people who disable it in their browser, I can't see it dying out for many years to come. I'm certain (with only personal experience to go on) that the number of people with the knowledge and desire to turn Flash off does in no way come close to the number of people who: don't know how to turn Flash off, have no idea what Flash is, have no desire to learn anything deeper about computers other than how to 'use it', or who know how to turn Flash off but won't (for whatever reason).

Of the 40+ people I know who actively use computers, I don't think that any of them would fall into the category of turning it off in the browser (for the many reasons mentioned above). Edited to add: they are all Windows users, so maybe that has a bearing on things too.

Last edited by CallOfCth'reader; 02-05-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added bit about Windows.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #103
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
If Flash dying out depends on the number of people who disable it in their browser, I can't see it dying out for many years to come. I'm certain (with only personal experience to go on) that the number of people with the knowledge and desire to turn Flash off does in no way come close to the number of people who: don't know how to turn Flash off, have no idea what Flash is, have no desire to learn anything deeper about computers other than how to 'use it', or who know how to turn Flash off but won't (for whatever reason).

Of the 40+ people I know who actively use computers, I don't think that any of them would fall into the category of turning it off in the browser (for the many reasons mentioned above). Edited to add: they are all Windows users, so maybe that has a bearing on things too.
I agree. And, I think most people won't know (and won't care) if and when YouTube, Hulu and whoever else move from Flash to HTML5/.h264...its all just streaming video and annoying animated ads, regardless.

I think it is mostly the tech crowd who cares about codecs, plugins, and the like, and who uses what. Content providers will make things available to the most eyeballs.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #104
Mr.Hughes
Mr.Hughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & IPhone & Dell Mini 10v (running snow leopard))
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Dunno if you can tell -- but are there ways in the SDK to access the SD card reader that is part of the camera pack? You can see the card reader with the "accessories available" on Apple's page about the iPad. Would be nice to know if only the iPhoto app can read it, or if other apps could be written to use an SD card too.
i had a quick look earlier and as far as I can see, yes there are methods of accessing the reader, BUT dont expect to be able to use it as expandable memory, just for transfering images from the sd and vice versa, there is no way apple would approve any app that would allow you to use the sd card reader as expandable memory for the ipad, it sucks i know, but thats apple for you!
the last big update for iphone and the accompanying SDK allowed you to produce apps that could use/control accessories using the 30-pin connector, but apple had to approve each product and the app to go with it, i know someone who was developing a SD reader/writer, but when it came to getting apple approval it was a no go
Mr.Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #105
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Indeed,