Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
If you walk in a shop in Italy and ask for a "liseuse", they give you this:

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be a misuse of the word, though: it wouldn't be the first time that a foreign word gets a totally different and unexplainably new meaning in Italian.
one of the meanings in french is a little jacket a woman wears in bed, to keep warm while... reading. it looks like the same thing in italian.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
If you walk in a shop in Italy and ask for a "liseuse", they give you this:

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be a misuse of the word, though: it wouldn't be the first time that a foreign word gets a totally different and unexplainably new meaning in Italian.

They give you a 'lady'? I must visit my Italian relatives more often
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
... Digital Display ....
That was a great song by "Ready for the World"

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #35
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
one of the meanings in french is a little jacket a woman wears in bed, to keep warm while... reading. it looks like the same thing in italian.
Actually I'm referring to the piece of cloth held with both arms behind the lady's back

More of an ornament than a useful piece of cloth (almost as useless for a womand as a tie for a man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe
Yup!
If you do, please tell me first so I'll invite you to have a bowling match with me: the bowling place near where I live has this sign outside:
"Martedì: donna omaggio ogni due biglietti acquistati"
The intended meaning would be "Tuesday: for every couple, the woman doesn't pay", but reading it straight its more like "Tuesday: free woman every two tickets bought".
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Actually I'm referring to the piece of cloth held with both arms behind the lady's back

More of an ornament than a useful piece of cloth (almost as useless for a womand as a tie for a man).

Yup!
If you do, please tell me first so I'll invite you to have a bowling match with me: the bowling place near where I live has this sign outside:
The intended meaning would be "Tuesday: for every couple, the woman doesn't pay", but reading it straight its more like "Tuesday: free woman every two tickets bought".
Now I want to visit Italy even more
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:

ah, well in that case, it's just that you crazy italians are just making stuff up.

Quote:
Yup!

(when to the offer the free men ?)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #38
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:

Men are free* all the time, we're just built that way

*satisfaction not guaranteed, no refunds, no money back
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Men are free all the time, we're just built that way

(also : wow, apparently i was trying to beat the record for "highest typo-to-total-character ratio" with that last one.)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
to me I like Digital Readers or Digital Display Devices(D3 or D³ (altcode 0179))
better then liseuse.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #41
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
to me I like Digital Readers or Digital Display Devices(D3 or D³ (altcode 0179))
better then liseuse.
You could call it a Digital Reading Manager...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #42
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Tuesdays too. Think: two tickets (probably two men), a free woman... there's a free man waiting for you, alone

Quote:
If you walk in a shop in Italy and ask for a "liseuse", they give you this
Any shop?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #43
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Ha, that was my first thought when I saw that post too! Great minds think alike! Or as a German guy I used to work with would say "Two monkeys, one brain"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
dynabook <-- did you click the link?
Dang! No nibbles on my brilliant proposal.

Maybe I didn't emphasize it correctly the first time. That's

dynabook

Get it?

Last edited by rlparker; 08-04-2009 at 12:26 PM.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
better then liseuse.
Well Digital Reader is a name used for the iRex device. I like PADD which is what they are called on StarTrek
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #45
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
does OverPricedElectronicGadgetForReading work as a naming convention?

I din't think so either.

I usually try and show a total lack of imagination and use "e-reading device" when indicating it is a device I am discussing rather than software. But, that is only because there is yet to be an actual name for the class of devices.

Makes me wonder if the "e" is needed when discussing our gadgets we use to read books. WOuld not "reading device" be sufficent...I mean even with TTS, as a rool it seems implied that it is harder to read a paperback, much less a hard cover, on an electronic reading device, than it is to simply hold the book and read it...so the "e" might be redundant? hehehe....

reading device = readdev ~= readev (no need for the double-D's....awwwkkk...we all know THAT is untrue... )

Still, I believe I'll use readev from now on...I would use liesuse but it hurts my tongue to type that word....I feel sort of norty yet very satisfied, after typing it for some reason...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers, ereaders, liseuse