Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Wow thanks for all the suggestions. i'll probably put in order into amazon for some of these this week and see how they are. I didn't really expect this thread to explode as it is has, but it seems I have alot of options now.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Annah
Annah began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I've only recently gotten into manga and graphic novels in the last year or so but I'm pleased to have found another dimension of story telling to enjoy. I'm not familiar with many manga so I'm going to look into some of the recommendations here as well.

Out of curiousity, what would deathnote be categorized as? I've started reading that one last week and so far I'm really enjoying it.
Annah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
deathnote would be shonen mystic/mystery. (good story, but I find the part after <..> death not suiting..)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Death Note was so popular it spawned a couple of live-action movies, not to mention its own anime series. Pretty good for something that started in a pulp-grinder mag!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Death Note was so popular it spawned a couple of live-action movies, not to mention its own anime series. Pretty good for something that started in a pulp-grinder mag!
The same could be said off GTO which has it's movies, series and of course anime

And Detective Conan too. Actually a lot of manga gets it's fair share of real-live action, but the question is.. how good are the live-action conversion
Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
with so many mangareaders here, I don't understand why my manga2ebook didn't get more responces
Hey, give me a minute. I've only got my librie a few weeks ago.

Apart from that, no offense Athlon but I disagree with you about the choice of mangas.
Basically, except for Gunnm which is seinen (manga made for young adults), all your other recomendations are shonen manga (manga made for boys/teenage boys). I'm not saying an adult can't enjoy them (especially GTO), but I'm fear an adult starting with these will feel mangas really are for children and not look back.

Yes, my suggestions include pretty harsh books (hint for those who don't know: Berserk), but on the other hand they have adult's themes and treatment. As a side note I have every volumes (in some cases original AND translated version) of the series you suggested - except 'Love Hina' which I find gets old really fast.

I would advise anybody in doubt about this to check out the first volume of the series mentionned - either on the net or at a bookstore - and get a feel about all these.

Last edited by Trenien; 07-14-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Hey, give me a minute. I've only got my librie a few weeks ago.

Apart from that, no offense Athlon but I disagree with you about the choice of mangas.
Basically, except for Gunnm which is seinen (manga made for young adults), all your other recomendations are shonen manga (manga made for boys/teenage boys). I'm not saying an adult can't enjoy them (especially GTO), but I'm fear an adult starting with these will feel mangas really are for children and not look back.

Yes, my suggestions include pretty harsh books (hint for those who don't know: Berserk), but on the other hand they have adult's themes and treatment. As a side note I have every volumes (in some cases original AND translated version) of the series you suggested - except 'Love Hina' which I find gets old really fast.

I would advise anybody in doubt about this to check out the first volume of the series mentionned - either on the net or at a bookstore - and get a feel about all these.
But you have to remember that the topicstarter is a "mangabeginner" and adult so we should be careful with the title suggestions. My titles are targetted more for the common public, while yours are already on the edge of specialized manga themes (and as far as I know, harder to purchase too). Wouldn't want to get them a tunnelvision right away

And once the interests has started, they will get their own style too (noticed how I know and read the manga you've suggested even though I don't recommend them to beginners. They'll get there on their own. )

Oh yeah, Tokyopop now has the first volume/chapter of a lot of manga online, so you can check their style out before you buy.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

So, to summarize:
  • Athlon and I enjoy(ed) both sets of suggestions (to various degrees of course)
  • Athlon feels his proposed set are more mainstream, both in availability (to which I guess I must agree), and in theme and treatment.
  • I feel that what he calls "more mainstream" is familiarity with the manga's "boy style storytelling" only. I'd agree with the assessment only to the extent that they are the Japanese comics equivalent to most US's superheroes comics as they were in the 80's/90's (nowadays these get to be more difficult to categorize).
  • My view is that if you start to read manga with no prior knowledge of them, "mainstream" is irrelevent: you should go for those that are the most appropriate for your age range for fear of getting quickly bored by the repetitiveness of Shonen manga - especially those where action/fighting/martial arts are the main theme.

Well, notwithstanding whatever anybody chooses to start with, I guess at the very least everybody will have understood that available choices are much more numerous than whatever it is you pick up first.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #24
emuty
emuty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2,iLiad
I interested read Manga of the English version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima
http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/ca...=9780345470461

Negima has the sleeve notes of Japanese special words and is easy to read.
emuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well, if we're going to talk about variety, in addition to making recommendations specifically for volworth, who likes Orson Scott Card, Philip Pullman, and Terry Pratchett (among others), I should say that I'm fonder of Aa Megamisama (Ah My Goddess) than nearly anything else we've been talking about. I also like a lot of shoujo titles such as Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Sailor Moon. I find that these stories have quite a bit of depth, especially when compared to what's sold in the US for the same audience. :/

But the reason I asked what volwrath likes to read is so we could make recommendations suited to the particular reader. I think age and presumed gender are less accurate indicators of what manga someone might like than finding out what written fiction they like. I could make a pretty strong case for the better shoujo stories being more like Pullman than any of the other titles we've been discussing. And I think someone who likes Pratchett would probably like Rumiko Takahashi, and her stuff is pretty easy to find.

Orson Scott Card is harder to match. That's where I'm thinking Evangelion would be a good suggestion, but again, the manga isn't quite like the anime. Does anyone have a manga to suggest that's somewhat similar to the Evangelion anime? Revolutionary Girl Utena, maybe. Nausicaa reminds me a little bit of Wyrms, or a little bit of Speaker for the Dead. That's why I think it might be a good recommendation here.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
athlonkmf
Guru

True, but problem for me is that I don't know the authors he named, so I had to go with the fantasy/scifi stuff.

But then again... asian fantasy is soooooo much more different than western....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #27
Trenien
Groupie

Quote:
Orson Scott Card is harder to match.
Very true. Planets, maybe. For the hardscience SF and introspection part.

That said I'm not sure that what books someone reads are more than a slight indication to what a might enjoy in manga. I know for a fact that although I like the affored mentioned Ah, My Goddess in its manga form, I'm not so keen of some novelization I've seen (by the same author, mind you).
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm a huge fan of:
- Lone Wolf & Cub
- Gunm (& Gunm Last Order)
- Akira
- Monster
- 20th century boys
- Sanctuary
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a Star Trek manga and there will be a second Star Trek manga coming out.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote