Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Brixie
Brixie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
need help organizing!

Hello, I've been using Calibre for awhile but probably have only used the basic features. I want to learn more about it now as my book collection is expanding.

I bought a Kindle last year and am enjoying reading e-books now as opposed to paper books. Now that my library is getting really big I am confused on how to keep things organized. I read that Calibre makes a copy when I add the book, Does this mean I can throw out the old copy? I don't want to lose my books and ideally want a way to organize my collection and make back ups to an external hard drive. I tried using the search function and wasn't successful in finding my way. Is there a thread that covers this well that anyone could direct me to?

I also want to separate my books and am wondering about using the libraries function. I thought maybe create a cookbook library? Maybe one for fiction and one for non-fiction? Can I move books from one library to another without deleting and re-entering them?
Brixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixie View Post
Hello, I've been using Calibre for awhile but probably have only used the basic features. I want to learn more about it now as my book collection is expanding.

I bought a Kindle last year and am enjoying reading e-books now as opposed to paper books. Now that my library is getting really big I am confused on how to keep things organized. I read that Calibre makes a copy when I add the book, Does this mean I can throw out the old copy? I don't want to lose my books and ideally want a way to organize my collection and make back ups to an external hard drive. I tried using the search function and wasn't successful in finding my way. Is there a thread that covers this well that anyone could direct me to?

I also want to separate my books and am wondering about using the libraries function. I thought maybe create a cookbook library? Maybe one for fiction and one for non-fiction? Can I move books from one library to another without deleting and re-entering them?
Why use multiple Libraries when Tags (and tag browser) will accomplish what you want?
Cookbook
Cookbook-Creole
Cookbook-BBQ
<non-fiction subject>
<fiction subject>

But if you must
select Books: Right click: Copy to Library (it needs to exist)

I always archive my originals. Businesses close every day , relying on them to always make the titles available is asking for pain.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Brixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why use multiple Libraries when Tags (and tag browser) will accomplish what you want?
Cookbook
Cookbook-Creole
Cookbook-BBQ
<non-fiction subject>
<fiction subject>

But if you must
select Books: Right click: Copy to Library (it needs to exist)

I always archive my originals. Businesses close every day , relying on them to always make the titles available is asking for pain.
OK so tags is the way to go then! I'm just trying to find my way so thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Brixie

Can I add all my books to Calibre and then just back up the Calibre folder?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixie View Post
Can I add all my books to Calibre and then just back up the Calibre folder?
Yes - that is what I do.

Having said that it can still be a good idea to have an offline archive of the original files in case you want to revert back to the starting point in any file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Brixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Yes - that is what I do.

Having said that it can still be a good idea to have an offline archive of the original files in case you want to revert back to the starting point in any file.
Thanks! Great information!