Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite bug: Light stayed on while in sleep

Hi,

I'm using my KPW with the Amazon casing/cover, and I really like the sensor feature that puts it to sleep when the cover is closed.

However, last night (after reading in bed) the built-in light did not turn off when the unit went to sleep. I noticed because I saw some faint light leaking out in the gap between the cover lid and the casing, and I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the fact that I was in a dark room.

I tried to open/close it a few times, but while the unit clearly went to sleep (screensaver activated), the light stayed on. I then tried putting it to sleep with the button instead of closing the cover, but no difference. The light refused to turn off, but everything else was normal.

The only way I was able to get the light off was to turn the device completely off and then on again, after which it worked normally again. This is perhaps not a serious bug (and has happened to me only once (that I know of)), but it would drain the battery unnecessarily.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I haven't observed that behavior but I have had the case where I open the cover and the Kindle unlocks but the light doesn't come on. Sometimes closing the cover and re-opening will fix it. Other times I just went to menu>light and then tapped it and the light came on.

This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times and I have had my PW since release day, so it doesn't happen often.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a known bug, and occurs both ways - the light not turning on and not turning off. Rebooting fixes it. As said, it only occurs occasionally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a known bug, and occurs both ways - the light not turning on and not turning off. Rebooting fixes it. As said, it only occurs occasionally.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I should have searched more carefully, because now I see that it has been discussed before.
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote