Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
ceilingcat
ceilingcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Conversion adds white space to a cropped PDF

I have a cropped PDF file (cropped using Briss) of 21MB. Converting the file to MOBI format takes 20 minutes and generates a file of 104MB. The generated file has huge margins top, bottom and sides, added.

Other smaller files also cropped with Briss do not give such a problem

Any advice?

cheers
ceilingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
I have a cropped PDF file (cropped using Briss) of 21MB. Converting the file to MOBI format takes 20 minutes and generates a file of 104MB. The generated file has huge margins top, bottom and sides, added.

Other smaller files also cropped with Briss do not give such a problem

Any advice?

cheers
Is the original PDF file pages, an scanned image (you can't select text in the PDF), you can't crop INTO the image, only to its edges.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
ceilingcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is the original PDF file pages, an scanned image (you can't select text in the PDF), you can't crop INTO the image, only to its edges.
OK .. guess what... everything I saw as text in the PDF is a scanned image! The 'text' is very sharp. It had me fooled !

Thanks for your suggestion, it put me on the right track.

Cheers
Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
OK .. guess what... everything I saw as text in the PDF is a scanned image! The 'text' is very sharp. It had me fooled !

Thanks for your suggestion, it put me on the right track.

Cheers
Someone did a Great! job with their scans.
Too bad they did not think to crop them with a image editor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If the scans are that good use an ocr software like finereader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
ceilingcat

Call me crazy, but I have since run the file through an OCR program, done a quick edit of the most obvious errors, and converted it to a MOBI file .. it was only 400 pages.