Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
douwen
douwen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Is there a 3.1 update for kindle

noticed there is a firmware update (3.1) for kindle 3, is there a same update for kindle dx?
douwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
No, sorry. Kindle 2 & DX aren't fast enough to run 3.0-3.1
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
douwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
No, sorry. Kindle 2 & DX aren't fast enough to run 3.0-3.1
AFAIK, kindle 3 and kindle DXG all have a Freescale 532 MHz, ARM-11
Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by douwen View Post
It's not fast enough to run at full speed. That's what I mean. I'm sure amazon CAN do it, but so far, they're leaving DX users in the dust.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
douwen

well , i have the same opinion about Amazon :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
... but so far, they're leaving DX users in the dust.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Yeah but the DX screen is bigger. It's fine to render 480p video with a 1Ghz single core processor, but for 1080p, you need a lot more. I know that example is pretty extreme, but the concept extends on. Amazon could probably tweak it to run, but that would take a lot of time and energy...
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
ZigZagJoe
ZigZagJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Ex-Kindle 2
Very poor example; the needs of decoding higher resolution video are nothing like displaying a UI. It would require a little more CPU time, but nothing like the roughly 4x or so 480p vs 1080p difference.

However, apparently, DX/K2 have half the ram (128 vs 256), which _would_ affect updating, for the browser at least. I heard someone messed around and ranthe K3 firmware on a K2, but it was very unstable due to the lack of ram. Besides that, there is no reason why they could not run it; same CPU, hardware is basically the same with the exception of the RAM.

They could likey make it work if they didn't keep the kindle "environment" (aka all that java shit) loaded, and just launched the browser - it accounts for a very large percentage of the ram on the device. When browser closes for whatever reason, restart the environment. Presto, the browser will have as much RAM available as it does on the K3 series devices.
ZigZagJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:00 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagJoe View Post
Very poor example; the needs of decoding higher resolution video are nothing like displaying a UI. It would require a little more CPU time, but nothing like the roughly 4x or so 480p vs 1080p difference.

However, apparently, DX/K2 have half the ram (128 vs 256), which _would_ affect updating, for the browser at least. I heard someone messed around and ranthe K3 firmware on a K2, but it was very unstable due to the lack of ram. Besides that, there is no reason why they could not run it; same CPU, hardware is basically the same with the exception of the RAM.

They could likey make it work if they didn't keep the kindle "environment" (aka all that java shit) loaded, and just launched the browser - it accounts for a very large percentage of the ram on the device. When browser closes for whatever reason, restart the environment. Presto, the browser will have as much RAM available as it does on the K3 series devices.
Like I said.. It was a pretty extreme example. I guess RAM could be a bigger factor, but CPU will also be affected. Even if it's a minor difference, people will complain to Amazon saying "I want the old faster page turning back". Frankly, that's a perfectly logical argument, since the focus of the Kindle is reading.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
noticed there is a firmware update (3.1) for kindle 3, is there a same update for kindle dx?
no and there never will be. ditto for the DXG.
I gave up hope on one quite a while ago.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Kindle DX is built on the Kindle 2 hardware platform and runs the v2.x firmware. A new v2 firmware version (2.5.8) was released only a few days ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
ZigZagJoe
ZigZagJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Ex-Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Like I said.. It was a pretty extreme example. I guess RAM could be a bigger factor, but CPU will also be affected. Even if it's a minor difference, people will complain to Amazon saying "I want the old faster page turning back". Frankly, that's a perfectly logical argument, since the focus of the Kindle is reading.
There's no reason there should be a difference in page turning speed under 2.x vs a hypothetical 3.x DX version. If one assumes that the DX 2 would be based on kindle 3 hardware, it has the same cpu [as k2 based devices], but more ram... which isn't needed for the java environment when not using the browser.
ZigZagJoe is offline   Reply With Quote