Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
sjohnson717
sjohnson717 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad
iPad and Calibre

Having good luck using Calibre with iPad.

The Stanza app works well enough although the screen is somewhat fuzzy in 2x mode since it is an app designed for the iPhone.

I've been using a different app designed for the iPhone and iPad called ReadMe ($2) at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/readme/id335763726?mt=8

While Stanza recognizes Calibre's content server--at least it does for me-- from Readme I had to access Calibre using the web option. On the Mac, go to http://yourcomputername.local:8080/
sjohnson717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Good to know
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson717 View Post
While Stanza recognizes Calibre's content server--at least it does for me-- from Readme I had to access Calibre using the web option. On the Mac, go to http://yourcomputername.local:8080/
What's the difference between "Calibre's content server" which you say Stanza will access and "access[ing] Calibre using the web option" which you say Readme has to access? Aren't these the same things? Are you talking about a difference like the difference between accessing the main content server at http://yourcomputeraddress:8080/ and the mobile version of the content server at http://yourcomputeraddress:8080/mobile?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Starson17: the content server provides exports your book collection as a special XML feed for programs like stanza.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Starson17: the content server provides exports your book collection as a special XML feed for programs like stanza.
OK, but how do you get to that special XML feed? Is it at a special port, or is it at http://yourcomputeraddress/stanza, or what? I presume Stanza knows how to get to it, so most people don't have to worry about this, I was just curious.
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

stanza and other OPDS enabled clients send a special header which the content server uses to know when to send the XML. You can alo always access it via /stanza
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
stanza and other OPDS enabled clients send a special header
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
andrew78
andrew78 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have readme installed but it doesn't show up in the list of programs that I can open an EPUB with when I try to download via the content server. Has anyone else had this problem.
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
I have not had as much luck with my iPad and docs from Calibre. For document reading software on my iPad I have iBooks, Kindle and GoodReader.

I have converted Calibre created documents to EPUB but when I try to transfer them with iTunes the application (iTunes) always crashes. However I am able to download EPUB files from Proj Gutenberg and transferr them without any problems.

I have tried saving one of these documents, The Economist, as a PDF but it seems to show up with a single skinny column in GoodReader and isn't very readable.

Anyone have any advice on what formats to use for Calibre created content on the iPad. Should I try some other reader apps? What format should I use from Calibre?

Are there any readers for the iPad that accept MOBI files?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Are there any readers for the iPad that accept MOBI files?
Doesn't the Kindle app accept MOBI files?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle app in theory supports mobi file format BUT Amazon explicitly disabled manual synchronization of files on iPod/iPhone and I assume it is the same for iPad. Currently you can only download files from Amazon store.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That's good to know. Still planning to get an iPad though.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
I concur with kiklop74 - I haven't found a way to get books into Kindle on the iPad other than by buying them from Amazon's Kindle store.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson717 View Post
Having good luck using Calibre with iPad.

The Stanza app works well enough although the screen is somewhat fuzzy in 2x mode since it is an app designed for the iPhone.

I've been using a different app designed for the iPhone and iPad called ReadMe ($2) at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/readme/id335763726?mt=8

I have been trying to get books into ReadMe without luck. Can you do a short tutorial on how to set up Calibre for the ipad? Does it need to be connected to the PC. I don't have a Mac. At least with Stanza there is a desktop application that helps me get stuff on my readers. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, I think I just needed to update Calibre to get this to work, but I would love a tutorial.
Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 04-22-2010 at 11:14 AM.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Having problems getting ReadMe to connect to Calibre. It seems straightforward. I got my ip address from Network in system prefs of my Mac (the Airport address). I started Cailbre's content server. I started ReadMe and went to Download From The Web. I entered http://<myip:8080> and it just hangs with the rotating cursor in the url field trying to connect. If I go to the Safari browser on the iPad and enter that ip it puts up a password dialog and then shows the Calibre library. My iPhone with Safari does the same thing. However both iPad and iPhone hang with ReadMe. And, here is something weird on both the iPad and the iPhone the "Atomic Web Browser" exhibits the same behavior as ReadMe and hangs! Any idea what could I be doing wrong?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, readme, stanza