Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Finishing your TBR books

I never went crazy downloading free books but I bought a lot of books both favorite authors and some that just sounded intrigueing. At one point I had almost 200 bought but not read yet. I've cut down on my buying except for bargains too good to pass up and am making a serious effort to finish all the books I already own. I never had such a backlog with paper books, ebooks make it all to easy to stockpile unreads. Fortunately I read fast. Any one else making a serious effort to finish their TBRs?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I have a huge pile of paper books TBR along with a handful of e-books... unless dngrswife wins the lottery and allows me to retire,I fear I will never conquer either.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I never went crazy downloading free books but I bought a lot of books both favorite authors and some that just sounded intrigueing. At one point I had almost 200 bought but not read yet. I've cut down on my buying except for bargains too good to pass up and am making a serious effort to finish all the books I already own. I never had such a backlog with paper books, ebooks make it all to easy to stockpile unreads. Fortunately I read fast. Any one else making a serious effort to finish their TBRs?
I have a (pulls out Kindle...) 127-book TBR on my Kindle... and that's just the ebooks!

I try to finish them, but they just grow... and grow... and GROW!

I didn't know it was possible to *actually* finish a TBR!

Maybe over the summer? (Default answer to anything which must be pinned down. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have about 1,000 books on my TBR pile. I've cut my buying way back, to one or two books per week, and only if they are off my wishlist and very cheap ($3 or less, got one for $1.99 this morning). However, if I continue at this rate, I won't outlive my TBR pile.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
For well over a decade, my reading has been summarised as "BABLE: Books Amassed beyond Life Expectancy." Both on paper and digital.

Books get added to the to be read list much faster than I cross books off it by completing them.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have over 500 paper books on my TBR pile and over 2000 ebooks. I've lost any hope whatsoever to outlive my TBR pile.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I also have BABLE. But just today, I went through all the books I amassed in 2013, made a reading list in Calibre, created a category on my PW entitled "Reading List" and downloaded about 80 books (out of about 2000). I should be able to finish those this year.

Unfortunately, I do the same thing (accumulate) with yarn, and did so with paperbacks, but I find it hard to read a paperback--so uncomfortable--so they sit in the basement.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I never make the slightest effort. I don't see why I should. I have a bunch of fine servants ready to serve at my whim. They don't worry. They don't get impatient. Why should I?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
My "Unread" library in Calibre currently has 1318 books in it. A few hundred of those were potentially-interesting freebies, which I don't feel any particular compulsion to finish (although I'm not discounting them as I may well read some of them), the rest are bought-and-paid-for books that I really should read at some point.

Then there are a few hundred (exact count unknown) paper books still lying around unread...

I'm under no illusion that I'll manage to read everything - even if I didn't buy new books to read, which is a pretty impossible thing to do as people for some reason keep releasing new books I want to read.

I do, however, want to get to a point where I read more than buy, so that the TBR list will start decreasing this year (by however much, even if it's just by ten books overall!) instead of increasing further. And I'll do my absolute best to stay away from new "this looks like something I might maybe be interested in some day" purchases/downloads and only acquire new books I have every intention to read.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I never make the slightest effort. I don't see why I should. I have a bunch of fine servants ready to serve at my whim. They don't worry. They don't get impatient. Why should I?
Exactly!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
My TBR list is beyond counting. I have got to the point of having a TBR list of authors lol. I tend to read everything I can get my hands on by a particular author or a single series. Much easier to do these days with ebooks.

All my TBR is electronic at the moment as I've been reading ebooks since the 90s and only read a paper version when I can't find an ebook. I find it much easier to read on my tablet as I often read with the only light in the room from the tv or monitors lol. (the main reason I never hopped on the paperwhite ebook readers. My first ebook reader and for over 10 years the brand of choice was my HP or Compaq Ipaq pda with mobipocket as the reader lol. Tablets are so much easier than the tiny screens they had.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'd never want to have a completely empty TBR. What would I read? I do feel a bit glutted, though. When I can sign up for reading challenges and populate them entirely from books I already own, I think I probably have enough to be getting on with.

And even with my foot off the pedal, I'm still buying faster than I'm reading.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.
This
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank god, I'm not alone.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote