Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with quote direction please

I'm currently reading The Lord of the Rings for the umpteenth time, having just bought the Harper-Collins epub version. They've fixed the multiple typos in the first ebook version, but now all the left single and double quotation marks point to the right.

Normally I don't care a scrap about the format of quotation marks - single or double, straight or curly, once I start reading it doesn't even register. But the repeated right quotes where left quotes should be sticks out, and irritates me.

Is there anyway of doing an ePub to ePub conversion which will change all the quotation marks at the begining of a word or sentence to left quotes?

There are several other formatting errors, and I'd be ashamed to put an ebook like this out over my signature. But I can live with them.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Use find/replace to replace all curly quotes (left and right) with straight quotes. If you want curly back again use Smarten punctuation with another round of conversion (or the modify epub plugin).
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Use find/replace to replace all curly quotes (left and right) with straight quotes. If you want curly back again use Smarten punctuation with another round of conversion (or the modify epub plugin).
Thanks, I'll check that out.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote