Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
[Old Thread] Alternatives to calibre?

are there any alternatives to this program I really dislike it instead of just being able to put books and documents onto my device it fights me every step of the way if its not one thing its another from being limited in functions to crashing altogether i think this would be a great program if it was faster, more user friendly, and had proper loading bars whats the point of putting the percentage to finished if it says unknown the whole time or freezes untill its done this program is so bad its actually easier and less time consuming to convert and move my files directly onto the nook itself the books might not be as well organized and pictures may not fit the screen as well as calibre can but it still is a lot easier anyways suggestions for alternatives please
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well for one, I love Calibre. It does everything I want it too and I've never had a problem. Maybe instead of insulting the creators on THEIR forum section, explain the problem you are having and maybe it can be fixed.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Well for one, I love Calibre. It does everything I want it too and I've never had a problem. Maybe instead of insulting the creators on THEIR forum section, explain the problem you are having and maybe it can be fixed.
im not insulting the creators at all i think it can be useful just i experience problems all the times and new ones seem to arise frequently id rather use an alternative
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It is complicated! So I agree! I never seem to get any answers to my questions....I gave up! I only use it for Bare Basic conversions! Anything beyond that You have to get this plugin or that program UGH Then you get them ALL on your computer they Still Dont work! Cripe!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
It is complicated! So I agree! I never seem to get any answers to my questions....I gave up! I only use it for Bare Basic conversions! Anything beyond that You have to get this plugin or that program UGH Then you get them ALL on your computer they Still Dont work! Cripe!
i havent been refereed to other programs to help but i really just want some suggested alternatives there are good things about calibre that i like i like how it can convert things and make it exactly the right size for your device this is great the problem lies in other aspects
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
i havent been refereed to other programs to help but i really just want some suggested alternatives there are good things about calibre that i like i like how it can convert things and make it exactly the right size for your device this is great the problem lies in other aspects
Asking for an alternative to a piece of software on that software's forum generally isn't a great idea. That'd be a better question for the General forum.

To put that in context -- you don't go to Apple's forums asking for alternatives to iTunes, or Adobe's forums asking for alternatives to Photoshop, or Microsoft's forums asking for alternatives to Windows.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
are there any alternatives to this program I really dislike it...
I don't think calibre does anything that can't be done other ways you can buy news from amazon instead of using calibre recipes and of course you can manage your book files yourself which is one thing you were complaining about in another thread also if you throw large multi-megabyte files of dubious origin at calibre or any other program don't be surprised if they choke plus the people in this forum are very helpful to everyone including rude trolls like you see how hard it is to read one continuous stream of babble with no punctuation my advice to regular forum contributors is to ignore you
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just do everything by hand, since that's what you seem to want, why bother having any software in the way?

If all you want is a converter, make a little batch file to _just_ do simple conversions without starting the whole app. There's also "hampstersoft"?'s ebook front end for calibre, tho it looks... ugh, it is meant to be for simple folk.

lastly: http://alternativeto.net/software/calibre/
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Asking for an alternative to a piece of software on that software's forum generally isn't a great idea. That'd be a better question for the General forum.

@GoldThreader - I don't know what you were thinking but I agree with toddos, this is not the place to be asking about alternatives. There are other forums here at Mobileread that are suitable for this conversation.

As an alternative try googling ebook management software.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
GoldThreader
Zealot

ok well first off i dont appreciate the remarks here and all i was trying to do is seek assistance for this program or alternatives i wasnt getting the help i needed so of course i asked for a different program if the people here dont feel like assisting me then dont
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You original post was not asking for help - just for alternatives.

Since the people who frequent this forum will be those who have NOT found suitable alternatives to Calibre you are unlikely to get a useful answer to that particular question.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You original post was not asking for help - just for alternatives.

Since the people who frequent this forum will be those who have NOT found suitable alternatives to Calibre you are unlikely to get a useful answer to that particular question.
no i never said this one did but my other posts have and thats unfortunate for this site to be limited to just calibre as if other things couldnt exists
Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
no i never said this one did but my other posts have and thats unfortunate for this site to be limited to just calibre as if other things couldnt exists
Mobileread != calibre, but you're posting in the calibre forums. What did you expect? This is not the "Ebook management software (including calibre)" forum. It's the calibre forum, about the piece of software called calibre, and asking a question like, "Hey guys, this calibre thing kinda sucks for what I want to do. Can you point me to alternatives/competitors?" isn't really productive, as you've seen

You'd not go over to the Nook subforum on Mobileread and ask Nook owners to point you to alternatives for Nook, would you? (Insert other forums as desired -- Kindle, Kobo, Android, Apple, Sony, etc)
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
You know, if your primary complaint with calibre is because it's not handling your manga collection as well as you'd like, you might be better off replacing your current e-ink reader with something that's more manga friendly.

The iRiver Story HD (cheapest I found was $99 at Target) has built-in CBZ/ZIP support and has a higher resolution than the Nook.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You know, if your primary complaint with calibre is because it's not handling your manga collection as well as you'd like, you might be better off replacing your current e-ink reader with something that's more manga friendly.

The iRiver Story HD (cheapest I found was $99 at Target) has built-in CBZ/ZIP support and has a higher resolution than the Nook.
i happen to like the nook i just need a way to get this stuff on it calibre seems to be the best way to do it but i have no idea how to get it to work the way i exspect it to and without crashing or things like that and no my primary complaints are its speed, lack of step by step instructions and things like that if i could get it to work then it would be worth the extra wait because it fits the images perfectly might help if it could create a table of contents or combine books but those arent features it has even then it doesnt like the file sizes