Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #1756
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'd recommend every tsundoku to move to Spain and see how expensive it can get to fulfill their passions. Freebies? Fuhgetaboudit. Discounts? Up to 10%, and legally nothing more. Prices? From $10, for shallow romance and other brief stuff to $20 for big name authors. That would cure you...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1757
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'd recommend every tsundoku to move to Spain and see how expensive it can get to fulfill their passions. Freebies? Fuhgetaboudit. Discounts? Up to 10%, and legally nothing more. Prices? From $10, for shallow romance and other brief stuff to $20 for big name authors. That would cure you...
Ouch. Those are painful prices. I very rarely pay more than $10 for an ebook, and the vast majority of my purchases are $5 or less.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #1758
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Confession time! Today I bought Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey for 99 cents. I have the first book in the series which I bought for cheap awhile back, so how could I pass up the second book for that price even if I haven't read the first one yet.

The other books I bought this month were also a dollar each(2 books) and the other one I bought this month was only $2.99. I would say I'm doing pretty good!! Well, except for the hundreds and hundreds of freebies. At least those don't count against my bank account, but they do help feed the addiction of "buying" books!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #1759
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Confession time! Today I bought Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey for 99 cents. I have the first book in the series which I bought for cheap awhile back, so how could I pass up the second book for that price even if I haven't read the first one yet.
It's always risky buying more in a series when you haven't read the first one yet. There's at least one series where I regretted doing that.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #1760
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's always risky buying more in a series when you haven't read the first one yet. There's at least one series where I regretted doing that.
I know, but I paid $1.99 for the first one and $0.99 for the second, so it's not that big a deal.
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #1761
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I know, but I paid $1.99 for the first one and $0.99 for the second, so it's not that big a deal.
Hmm... if you pay $0.49 for the next and $0.24 for the next and $0.12 for the next and .... etc., you can get the rest of the series (no matter how long it is) for less than $1 more.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1762
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... if you pay $0.49 for the next and $0.24 for the next and $0.12 for the next and .... etc., you can get the rest of the series (no matter how long it is) for less than $1 more.
Well, that would be crazy!!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #1763
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I took advantage of the Kobo contest and purchased 6 ebooks spending $17 total. All were on my TBR list. One was on it for 2 years but was rather pricey so I held off waiting for a price reduction that never occurred. But Kobo's 75% promo code did the trick. The other 5 titles were reduced by 55% codes. These were my first purchases for 2013.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #1764
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

$2.83 per book is a pretty good price. My average purchase price for the year so far is $2.99. But I've bought 70 books, not 6!

I think one of us is managing their addiction better than the other.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #1765
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I check the Kindle daily deals everyday. Today I picked up Gone with the Wind and A tree grows in Brooklyn for 1.99 each. I've bought a lot of good books this way.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #1766
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is how many books I bought in the recent Kobo contest:

Spoiler:
None! Yea, me! It helped that I didn't get anything better than 30% off, which has become a lackluster discount.

My plan for the year was to shift to a just in time system, where I bought whatever I wanted, price no object, only as I was about to crack it. I still think it's a good system and I hope now that I've made it through one sale, my powers of resistance will maintain.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #1767
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My plan for the year was to shift to a just in time system, where I bought whatever I wanted, price no object, only as I was about to crack it. I still think it's a good system and I hope now that I've made it through one sale, my powers of resistance will maintain.
If it works for you, it's a good plan.

My plan is to eventually get down to just a few months of TBR, just enough so that I can wait for bargains to come up in my wish list, rather than buying fulll-price.

So down to a TBR or 50-100 instead of the current 300ish.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1768
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I check the Kindle daily deals everyday. Today I picked up Gone with the Wind and A tree grows in Brooklyn for 1.99 each. I've bought a lot of good books this way.
I know it's still under copyright in the US, but I just can't buy Gone with the Wind knowing that it's available for free at one of the foreign Project Gutenbergs.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #1769
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The SpringSave80 Kobo code has broken my resolve, but it was a new book in a favourite series: Thraxas and the Ice Dragon, a recently published (March 2013) new book in Martin Scott's fantasy series.

£0.89 hardly counts, does it?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1770
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Brothers and sisters, I have been cured.
The miracle cure is called DRM ...

Quote:
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote