Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
curiosity
Nameless Being

Saving to disk and authors

Hey g'day all,

Question please is there a way to force saving to disk by author (primary author) and not have directory's created separately for co authors.

So annoying that series are broken up and not in the same folder.

ie - john smith - primary author has say six books in a series

John smith writes book six in the series with Billy Bob

so I end up with two directories..

Hope I'm clear in what I'm asking for and not rambling.

Regards and thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Cheers...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Hey g'day all,

Question please is there a way to force saving to disk by author (primary author) and not have directory's created separately for co authors.

So annoying that series are broken up and not in the same folder.

ie - john smith - primary author has say six books in a series

John smith writes book six in the series with Billy Bob

so I end up with two directories..

Hope I'm clear in what I'm asking for and not rambling.

Regards and thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Cheers...
If you are talking about how Calibre keeps files:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tory-structure

If you are sending to a device (storage).
{series}/{series_index}-{title}-{authors}

{series} is the first and Only most important field, not Author
{series_index} keeps them in order
{Title}
and lastly {Authors} just in case you want to know

There is a variant on the Template form for up to 3 digit series index numbers 001,002... so the always Alpha Sort properly
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
curiosity
Nameless Being

Ok what Im talking about is saving to disk.. on the computer not sending to a device.

What I have atm is this..

{author_sort}/{author_sort} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {isbn}

sending to device is not an issue just annoying I cant get it right on the harddrive.

what I want is eg..

author==

john smith..
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2
j smith & john doe - book 3

rather than

john smith
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2

John Smith & John doe

if your getting my drift...

Thank you for your quick reply much appreciated..
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Ok what Im talking about is saving to disk.. on the computer not sending to a device.

What I have atm is this..

{author_sort}/{author_sort} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {isbn}

sending to device is not an issue just annoying I cant get it right on the harddrive.

what I want is eg..

author==

john smith..
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2

rather than

john smith
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2

John Smith & John doe

if your getting my drift...

Thank you for your quick reply much appreciated..
You did not read the Link provided nor the Sticky on the same subject
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
curiosity
Nameless Being

I apologise - Im rather new to this so its like me being a martian trying to understand English for the first time ...

Im trying
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
xr4ti
xr4ti began at the beginning.

Device: wm6
I've been at this for too many hours straight and am not fully functional, in addition to this please understand that most of what is in the various tutorials, manuals and here in the forums flies right over my head, so please, if you do answer, answer down to me so I can understand.

Furthermore, I have been poking around for a few hours just KNOWING that my question has been asked and answered before but I am just not finding the right section of the faq / thread in the forum.

I am posting as a continuation of this thread because it is the one I found most relevant to my question although it does head in a different direction.

Using the example provided:
john smith..
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2

How do I parse just the first author (j smith) in a custom column / field?

Thank you in advance for any advise / suggestions you may provide. I will go to sleep now hoping that I wake up to read the "doh" response to my mangled query.
xr4ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr4ti View Post
I've been at this for too many hours straight and am not fully functional, in addition to this please understand that most of what is in the various tutorials, manuals and here in the forums flies right over my head, so please, if you do answer, answer down to me so I can understand.

Furthermore, I have been poking around for a few hours just KNOWING that my question has been asked and answered before but I am just not finding the right section of the faq / thread in the forum.

I am posting as a continuation of this thread because it is the one I found most relevant to my question although it does head in a different direction.

Using the example provided:
john smith..
j smith - book 1
j smith - book 2

How do I parse just the first author (j smith) in a custom column / field?

Thank you in advance for any advise / suggestions you may provide. I will go to sleep now hoping that I wake up to read the "doh" response to my mangled query.
I could not figure it out I think something is odd is happening with Author.

Side note: you will need to populate your single author column for every Author and use a Template with that field to build your 'save to...' output
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The authors field is multiple, which means that S/R processes it author-by-author (as it does all multiples, such as tags). To make this work, you must get all the authors into one string. To do that, use a template.

The S/R looks like:
Mode: regexp
Source field: Template
Template: {authors}
Search for: &.*
Replace with: (leave this box empty)
Destination: (the desired custom column)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
xr4ti
xr4ti began at the beginning.

Device: wm6
as promised DOH

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

It did take me a while to figure out exactly where the Search and Replace you were referring to is located.

(edit metadata in bulk - 3rd tab)

but then, I am fairly new to poking around Calibre.

Anyway, at some point after I've finished sorting, cleaning, merging, editing my 2000+ books, I'll come back here and create a new thread outlining the issues I ran into as well as my personal solutions for those newbs, like myself that need step by step laymen instructions / information on the how to.

Thanks again.
xr4ti is offline   Reply With Quote