Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Ozonation
Ozonation began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Return Current Kindle Touch? New Kindle Touch Sep 6, 2012?

Hi... new to this forum, but have had tablets and gadgets forever. After trying to make my Blackberry Playbook work well for reading (nope) and realizing my iPad is too large for my needs, I recently bought the Kindle Touch. Very nice, but I was trying to be very cognizant of my actual use of such a device (I tend to overestimate just how much I'll use something).

I wanted to also be able to read journal/research papers - often in PDFs - and found that they were too small to read on the Kindle. I also generally like to annotate with pen in hand when I read paper PDFs (review journals papers, marking up articles, etc.). I understand that Sony ereaders are supposedly better at displaying and navigating PDFs, and you can annotate, but nobody I know has one, nor can I find the new one just announced Aug 2012 to compare to. I found a workaround by converting PDFs to Word and then uploading to Kindle for processing - it sort of works.

So, I decided I might as well just stick with the Kindle... until I found out this morning that Amazon has a media event on September 6 where they will likely announce a new Kindle tablet and quite likely a refreshed ereader as well.

I have until tomorrow (Tuesday, August 28) to return my barely used Kindle Touch for a full refund. I've heard almost no rumours or intelligence about the supposed upcoming Kindle releases.

Any advice on if I should keep my current Kindle (or for that matter, gamble on the upcoming Sony)?

Thanks in advance.
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Welcome to MobileRead.

A 6 inch eink ereader isn't the best choice for reading PDFs in my opinion. You would be better served with a tablet. But if your heart is set on the Kindle, then yes, I would return the Touch and wait and see what Amazon announces on the 6th. That said, there could be a delay between the announcement and availability, high demand, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Ozonation

Yes... I sort of came to the conclusion about PDFs - might just as well use one of my tablets (I embarrassingly have a few to choose from).

Any idea on if the new Kindle ereader has any outstanding innovations? I guess I went through all this effort to get the current Kindle Touch (on sale, handled a whole scad of ereaders), so I'm a little reluctant to part with it, although I might kick myself when the new one comes out! I'm surprised there have been very few details leaked...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
There is speculation that the new Kindle will have a built in light like the Nook Glowlight. But other than that, I haven't heard anything.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Ozonation

Thanks for the advice... I have to admit I'm torn... if the new model's only real improvement is a light... well, I've got the M-edge book light and it works reasonably well. A built in light is convenient. My wife seems to think I might as well keep the one I have: it has grown on me a bit, and I'm trying to avoid gadgetitis!

I have lots of camera gear, etc. so you'd think I'd be a bit less confused about a single ereader...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozonation View Post
I'm trying to avoid gadgetitis!
Smart move because there is no cure

Personally, I would return the Kindle Touch and wait to see what's announced on Sept. 6 - the worse that can happen is you wind up buying another KT.

I know if I had this choice and I kept the KT and then Amazon released something wonderful, I would kick myself for not returning it while I still could.

Last edited by JoHunt; 08-28-2012 at 07:46 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Ozonation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Personally, I would return the Kindle Touch and wait to see what's announced on Sept. 6 - the worse that can happen is you wind up buying another KT.

I know if I had this choice and I kept the KT and then Amazon released something wonderful, I would kick myself for not returning it while I still could.
Ah.... that is true. If I return it, I have no shortage of other devices to access my Kindle content in the meantime.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Ozonation

Thanks... I returned it in hopes that next week's announcement bring better things! I also noticed that the Kindle looked considerably darker than I expected when I happened to use it in dimmer lighting, and when I had a chance to compare it to a tablet and regular paperback book. Perhaps the next one will be a bit brighter? Hopefully...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI, last year they announced the Touch and fire in late September but didn't ship them until mid-November. The non-Touch announced the same time shipped immediately. So even if they announce something good on Sept 6 they might not ship for weeks.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to read PDF, an iPad is the best choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I also noticed that the Kindle looked considerably darker than I expected when I happened to use it in dimmer lighting, and when I had a chance to compare it to a tablet and regular paperback book. Perhaps the next one will be a bit brighter? Hopefully...
I wouldn't count on it. Eink has never claimed to be as bright as apaper page. The somewhat darker gray background is easier on the eyes.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
tannenba
tannenba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
For reading pdfs on any on your eink kindle, check out the free software k2topdf. It does a really good job of reflowing and resizing the text in a pdf. You will find it in this forum... search for the thread named k2topdf. Another tool you can use is email the pdf to your kindle and put "convert" as the subject. This will result in Amazon converting your pdf to a mobi. Sometimes Amazon does better, sometimes k2topdf does better.
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I would return the Touch and see what they announce. Most are guessing it will be a Touch with built in light ala the Nook Glowlight. Some rumors say a higher resolution screen too.

As others have pointed out, a Sept. 6 announcement doesn't mean we'll see the new Kindles immediately. Probably a safe bet they will all be out before holiday shopping season in December though.

I will be paying attention, pre-ordering the new Kindle the moment it goes live on Amazon's site and selling my Touch or giving it to a family memeber.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
As others have pointed out, a Sept. 6 announcement doesn't mean we'll see the new Kindles immediately. Probably a safe bet they will all be out before holiday shopping season in December though.
I don't think that's a safe bet at all. The Kindle Touch, for example, announced last October (?) didn't become available in the UK until around May this year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks... I returned it in hopes that next week's announcement bring better things! I also noticed that the Kindle looked considerably darker than I expected when I happened to use it in dimmer lighting, and when I had a chance to compare it to a tablet and regular paperback book. Perhaps the next one will be a bit brighter? Hopefully...
This is a known issue with the K4 and some have it on the KT. Some units are better than others when it comes to contrast. I've exchange mine due to this issue. Amazon is aware of the issue. They tried to darken the font in the last firmware upgrade but for me I couldn't tell a difference. You will find eInk varies and when you get a darker unit there's not much you can do other then exchange it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote