Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
leihongwang
leihongwang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle4
Kindle 4 does not boot

The same like "Kindle Touch does not boot",my kindle 4 can not boot into main mode.

What I have done is:
1. use kindleSelectBoot to get into fastboot mode, and then:
fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
2. in diags,use putty:dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

After these steps,diags has not response when I try to boot into main mode, and it can not boot into main mode with kindleSelectBoot either.

Is there anything wrong in my unbrick precedure? What else can I do to save my kindle 4?

Last edited by leihongwang; 05-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
leihongwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Which mmcblk0p1 did you use?
Some your backup or downloaded one from the internet?
If you used from internet (here), have you had update your firmware to 4.0.1 before?
If no, there is probably conflict.

So if you haven't before updated firmware to 4.0.1, download K4 4.0.1 kernel from links above and flash it with fastboot or dd.
(fastboot.exe flash kernel filename.img)
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Now that new firmware updates have changed the kernels (both main and diags), it is important to flash a kernel version that matches your boot partition version. That is why I added that information in red at the top of the first post in the "simple debricking" sticky thread.

The pastebin link changes every time I add something to that page. I change the link in the "simple debricking" first post to always point to the current version. Having that direct link here will make this copy point to the OLD (obsolete) version of the pastebin page, which may contain URLs that no longer work.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
leihongwang

Yesterday, I tried to update firmware to 4.0.1, but unsuccessful (an error occured and then can not boot into the main mode).The mmcblk0p1 I used was downloaded from internet:"http://pastebin.com/tx8q9a8N"

Just now I did the following:
1 fastboot.exe flash kernel kernel-4.0.1.img
2 dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
3 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

After that, the diags still has no response when I try to boot into the main mode.Is there anything I missed in the unbrick precedure above?

Thank you all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
Which mmcblk0p1 did you use?
Some your backup or downloaded one from the internet?
If you used from internet (here), have you had update your firmware to 4.0.1 before?
If no, there is probably conflict.

So if you haven't before updated firmware to 4.0.1, download K4 4.0.1 kernel from links above and flash it with fastboot or dd.
(fastboot.exe flash kernel filename.img)

Last edited by leihongwang; 05-12-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
leihongwang

Yesterday I failed to update to 4.0.1.Though an error occured, it could boot into the main mode once, and I found the version is 4.0.1.The second time I tried boot into the main mode, it crashed. Today I flashed mmcblk0p2 of 4.0.1 and kernel-4.0.1,and replaced mmcblk0p1 of 4.0.1.But the diags still has no response when I try to boot into the main mode.

Did I flash the wrong version of kernel or the order of my unbrick procedure is wrong?Thank you.

And could you please tell my where to download the kernel and mmcblk0p1 of the version 4.0.0?I had download a mmcblk0p1 of the version 4.0.0, but it did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Now that new firmware updates have changed the kernels (both main and diags), it is important to flash a kernel version that matches your boot partition version. That is why I added that information in red at the top of the first post in the "simple debricking" sticky thread.

The pastebin link changes every time I add something to that page. I change the link in the "simple debricking" first post to always point to the current version. Having that direct link here will make this copy point to the OLD (obsolete) version of the pastebin page, which may contain URLs that no longer work.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leihongwang View Post
Yesterday I failed to update to 4.0.1.Though an error occured, it could boot into the main mode once, and I found the version is 4.0.1.The second time I tried boot into the main mode, it crashed. Today I flashed mmcblk0p2 of 4.0.1 and kernel-4.0.1,and replaced mmcblk0p1 of 4.0.1.But the diags still has no response when I try to boot into the main mode.

Did I flash the wrong version of kernel or the order of my unbrick procedure is wrong?Thank you.

And could you please tell my where to download the kernel and mmcblk0p1 of the version 4.0.0?I had download a mmcblk0p1 of the version 4.0.0, but it did not work.
Top posting? Please put your comments AFTER the quoted text.

I do not understand what you mean by "diags still has no response when I try to boot into the main mode". Why would you expect diags to "respond" while trying to boot to main?

If you flashed the version of the kernel that you wanted, how could that be wrong? It is only wrong if you flashed a version that you did not want.

How did version 4.0.0 "not work"? Where did you download if from? How did you flash it? How do you know it flash successfully? What are the symptoms of it "not working"? How can I help you?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
leihongwang

Quote:
Top posting? Please put your comments AFTER the quoted text.

I do not understand what you mean by "diags still has no response when I try to boot into the main mode". Why would you expect diags to "respond" while trying to boot to main?

If you flashed the version of the kernel that you wanted, how could that be wrong? It is only wrong if you flashed a version that you did not want.

How did version 4.0.0 "not work"? Where did you download if from? How did you flash it? How do you know it flash successfully? What are the symptoms of it "not working"? How can I help you?

I'm sorry for my poor english.

When I "disable diags" in diags,or select "kindle main" in MfgTool,my kindle4 crashed.It can not boot into the main mode.

What version of kernel should I flash?

I download the kernel-4.0.1 here:http://pastebin.com/tx8q9a8N.
And I only download the mmcblk0p1-4.0.0.I haven't found kernel-4.0.0.Because I only had mmcblk0p1-4.0.0,and I did not have kernel-4.0.0, I didn't debrick my kindle4 successfully.

What I have done isthe version of mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 is 4.0.1)
1. use kindleSelectBoot to get into fastboot mode, and then:
fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
fastboot.exe flash kernel kernel-4.0.1.img
2. in diags,I use the ssh tool putty:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
geekmaster

It sounds like you did kernel-4.0.1 but mmcblk0p1-4.0.0. These do not match and may cause problems. Where did you download mmbclk0p1-4.0.0? At that pasetebin link, there is a mmblk0p1-4.0.1 that you should use with the kernel you downloaded from that same pastebin link.

Also, to exit diags and boot to main you can do:

idme -d --bootmode main
sync
reboot

Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
leihongwang

Quote:
It sounds like you did kernel-4.0.1 but mmcblk0p1-4.0.0. These do not match and may cause problems. Where did you download mmbclk0p1-4.0.0? At that pasetebin link, there is a mmblk0p1-4.0.1 that you should use with the kernel you downloaded from that same pastebin link.

Also, to exit diags and boot to main you can do:

idme -d --bootmode main
sync
reboot

Just now I did everything as you told me to.I did the debrick procudure again with kernel-4.0.1, mmcblk0p1-4.0.1 and mmcblk0p2-4.0.1.

And then:
idme -d --bootmode main
sync
reboot
But it could not boot into the main mode either.

Could you please tell me where I can download kernel-4.0.0 and mmcblk0p1-4.0.0?Maybe 4.0.0 could save my kindle4.

Thank you very much.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Just now I did everything as you told me to.I did the debrick procudure again with kernel-4.0.1, mmcblk0p1-4.0.1 and mmcblk0p2-4.0.1.

And then:
idme -d --bootmode main
sync
reboot
But it could not boot into the main mode either.

Could you please tell me where I can download kernel-4.0.0 and mmcblk0p1-4.0.0?Maybe 4.0.0 could save my kindle4.

Thank you very much.
4.0.1 SHOULD work. It worked on my K4 when I debricked it last time, using those same image files. It would be nice to find out WHY it is not working for you.

If you want 4.0.0, then somebody who has a copy needs to upload them somewhere and provide links to them. I need to search my offline archives, but that could take some time (I have literally hundreds of hard drives, and my four 12-port SATA controller cards are in a storage cabinet right now).

Does anybody else have a backup copy of 4.0.0 and its kernel? Could you please post them and provide a link (mediafire or equivalent cloud-storage server would be fine).? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

I have mmcblk0p1 backup and I can make kernel backup. It will not probably 100% original, but it's working backups.

EDIT: the change in p1 is usbnet over wi-fi, but it could be easily undone by editing some firewall file (see wiki)

How to download:
Click "Download", copy the numbers and letters from picture to text box and click "Download"
(I hope it will be in english).
Unfortunately, the download speed is limited to 300 kb/s (maybe just 150)

Link:
Code:
http://pastebin.com/8D1VLd8G

Last edited by hostar; 06-25-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
leihongwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I have mmcblk0p1 backup and I can make kernel backup. It will not probably 100% original, but it's working backups.
I will upload it after kernel extraction...

EDIT: the change in p1 is usbnet over wi-fi, but it could be easily undone by editing some firewall file (see wiki)

How to download:
Click "Download", copy the numbers and letters from picture to text box and click "Download"
(I hope it will be in english).
Unfortunately, the download speed is limited to 300 kb/s (maybe just 150)

Main kernel:
Code:
http://www.ulozto.net/x6zrs2d/main-kernel-img
Diags kernel:
Code:
http://www.ulozto.net/xF1Fb3g/diags-kernel-img
Mmcblk0p1:
Code:
http://www.ulozto.net/xGc6k94/mmcblk0p1-bin
Thank you very much.Finally I did debrick my kindle 4 successfully with the mmcblk0p1 and main_kernel offered by you.

I just wonder what is diags-kernel.img used for?And how to use it?
fastboot.exe flash kernel diags-kernel.img
or
fastboot.exe flash diags diags-kernel.img?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
leihongwang

Quote:
4.0.1 SHOULD work. It worked on my K4 when I debricked it last time, using those same image files. It would be nice to find out WHY it is not working for you.

If you want 4.0.0, then somebody who has a copy needs to upload them somewhere and provide links to them. I need to search my offline archives, but that could take some time (I have literally hundreds of hard drives, and my four 12-port SATA controller cards are in a storage cabinet right now).

Does anybody else have a backup copy of 4.0.0 and its kernel? Could you please post them and provide a link (mediafire or equivalent cloud-storage server would be fine).? Thanks.
Finally I debricked my kindle4 successfully with the mmcblk0p1.bin and main_kernel.img offered by hostar.

What I have done is: (the version of mmcblk0p1.bin and main_kernel.img is 4.0.0)
1 fastboot.exe flash kernel main_kernel.img

2 dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

3 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

And then my kindle4 boot into the main mode successfully.

Thank you very much.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
hostar
Zealot

Quote:
Thank you very much.Finally I did debrick my kindle 4 successfully with the mmcblk0p1 and main_kernel offered by you.

I just wonder what is diags-kernel.img used for?And how to use it?
fastboot.exe flash kernel diags-kernel.img
or
fastboot.exe flash diags diags-kernel.img?
I'm glad to help you.
Just for the record, the diags kernel can be flashed by

fastboot.exe flash diags_kernel diags-kernel.img
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #15
geekmaster

Thanks hostar.

Now I do not have to spend a lot more time looking for my backup copies. Both my K4s are 4.0.1 after copying the new 4.0.1 images from my kew K4 to my bricked 4.0.0 K4 to debrick it, so I know these images work. They *should* have worked here too, but 4.0.0 was a good fallback to use in this case.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-14-2012 at 02:05 AM.