Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Goodness! Galaxy Player 4.0/5.0 Coming Oct. 16

The ship date for the Galaxy Players 4.0 and 5.0 has finally been announced, it's Oct 16.

It looks like Samsung did not use their Super AMOLED technology for these devices but went with a Super WVA screen. And sports as size of 4" for the 4.0 model and 5" for the 5.0.

The price is not bad and would make a very nice portable 5" reading device.

Quote:
The Galaxy Players are powered by Gingerbread 2.3.5, which means they support everything you've come to love from your Android smartphone, minus of course the phone calls. Each has 8GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot which can handle up to 32GB. And while Samsung hasn't officially announced what's under the hood, whispers at the Samsung Portfolio event suggested a 1 GHz single-core processor with 512 MB of RAM. We'll confirm that closer to the Oct. 16 release date, when the 4.0 will hit for $229 and the 5.0 for $269. Photos commence after the break.

(more...)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Man, it looks a lot like another device I know. I'm trying to think of the name- ends in ouch. Oh well, it will come to me.... .
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
All these things have a common theme. Another is the Galaxy Note 5.3" AMOLED.

I too had seen the Galaxy players earlier this year, but I thought they were washed out by the Galaxy Note wave and were only to be an afterthought in history.

I have been hammering over at Archos to bring out a 5" or larger version of their Archos 43 THAT I COULD AFFORD (which means NOT the Galaxy NOTE.)

I am waiting for prices, and of course Amazon to stock these devices.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Man, it looks a lot like another device I know. I'm trying to think of the name- ends in ouch. Oh well, it will come to me.... .
Don't worry Apple will remind you of the name once they sue Samsung for "coping them".

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
All these things have a common theme. Another is the Galaxy Note 5.3" AMOLED.

I too had seen the Galaxy players earlier this year, but I thought they were washed out by the Galaxy Note wave and were only to be an afterthought in history.

I have been hammering over at Archos to bring out a 5" or larger version of their Archos 43 THAT I COULD AFFORD (which means NOT the Galaxy NOTE.)

I am waiting for prices, and of course Amazon to stock these devices.
Not the same market space. The Note is a very high end device that pushes all of Samsung's technology. This device is really the low end of the spectrum. You can tell this by the screen quality and resolution.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This device is really the low end of the spectrum. You can tell this by the screen quality and resolution.
That's for sure. They're taking full advantage of last year's technology. I doubt Apple has anything to worry about.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems like the technology photocopying machine has been moved from Redmond to Seoul, Korea and been revved up to 11....

Oh well, I guess competition has finally arrived in the ipod touch space. They are nice looking devices- but then they are imitations of a nice looking device .

They have a lot more horsepower than the IPT 4, if the rumors are true. Apple better come correct on October 4.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's for sure. They're taking full advantage of last year's technology. I doubt Apple has anything to worry about.
tubemonkey,
I beg to differ. Last year I bought a 32GB 4th generation IPOD Touch from my good friend Amazon. It was about $270. (Retail $300) It is dearly loved by the person that got it but not me.

Nice machine except for two things, it has a little 3.5" screen just like it's big brother the IPHONE, and you have to deal with the iTunes store. A another relatively minor thing is it flicks in and out of the WiFi too much It always comes back in without work, but then a little later it goes out again.

I am the one that set it up and answers questions about it, so I am quite familiar with it. I hate the file system. I hate the iTunes store. The 3.5" screen is far too small, multi-finger sizing not withstanding.

A nice 5" pocket-able eReader. Color touch screen back lit $269
These Galaxy devices are larger, particularly the 5" baby. I won't throw big bucks at the Note smartphone just to have a larger IPOD Touch but I can handle the price for the Galaxy 5" player. and hey, no iTunes store.

More on these devices.
I had a feeling that the niche between 4 1/2 and 6 inches (shirt pocket size) would be filled.

It turned out the Galaxy Note 5.3" was only a smartphone and would be too high a cost.

Now Galaxy has done it's thing again and filled a spot with an announcement for 4 and 5 inch media tablets to be available Oct 16, 2011

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=16757

Samsung Galaxy Player 4, 5 hit the U.S. on October 16

News by Dan Seifert on Monday September 26, 2011.

Samsung has announced that its Galaxy Player 4 and 5 media tablets will finally hit U.S. shelves on October 16. The Galaxy Player personal media devices run Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and feature access to the Android Market for apps.

The Galaxy Player 4 and Galaxy Player 5 will be available for purchase on October 16. The 4 commands $229, while the 5 costs $269.

\\\\\
more ---

http://www.talkandroid.com/63140-samsun ... r-the-u-s/

We are at the Samsung Galaxy Portfolio, and they just announced the Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 will be available for pre-order starting September 27th and nationwide starting October 16th. The Galaxy Players are WiFi only devices that give you all the functionality of Android for those looking for a “personal media player” type of device.

The Galaxy Player 5.0 will have a 5-inch WVGA TFT LCD (800×480) and the Galaxy Player 4.0 will have a 4-inch WVGA TFT LCD (800×480). Both will come with Android 2.3.5 and a 3.2MP front camera along with a VGA front camera.

A lot more details are available at those two urls above.

Last edited by frahse; 09-27-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
tubemonkey,
I beg to differ. Last year I bought a 32GB 4th generation IPOD Touch from my good friend Amazon. It was about $270. (Retail $300) It is dearly loved by the person that got it but not me.
But these Galaxy players still have last years specs. Instead of comparing them with last years iPod touch, they should be compared with the one about to be released.

There's really no incentive for me to switch to a device that's essentially a clone of my iPod touch 4. Granted, they do have a better cam; but that alone is not worth switching. Where's the GPS and compass?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
But these Galaxy players still have last years specs. Instead of comparing them with last years iPod touch, they should be compared with the one about to be released.

There's really no incentive for me to switch to a device that's essentially a clone of my iPod touch 4. Granted, they do have a better cam; but that alone is not worth switching. Where's the GPS and compass?
Does the new ipod touch have a 5 inch screen, microsd support, and the ability to add files without using a proprietary file manager?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does the new ipod touch have a 5 inch screen, microsd support, and the ability to add files without using a proprietary file manager?
I don't like 5" players; they're too big. I have a 32GB iPod touch and only need 16GB, so a card slot is irrelevant. File manager? since I've had my touch for nearly a year, why would I need that now?

Like I said, the Galaxy S is basically a clone of what I have now; and what I have now is last years technology. Where are the Galaxy S II players?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:

To be honest, we're not really sure a new ipod touch will be released.
What Apple might well do is release the iPhone lite for $299. You get an iphone 4 without a contract and 8GB memory . It would stop these Galaxy Players dead in their tracks.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
I don't like 5" players; they're too big. I have a 32GB iPod touch and only need 16GB, so a card slot is irrelevant. File manager? since I've had my touch for nearly a year, why would I need that now?

Like I said, the Galaxy S is basically a clone of what I have now; and what I have now is last years technology. Where are the Galaxy S II players?
tubemonkey, I see why you don't want it, but others have different needs and desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
To be honest, we're not really sure a new ipod touch will be released.
What Apple might well do is release the iPhone lite for $299. You get an iphone 4 without a contract and 8GB memory . It would stop these Galaxy Players dead in their tracks.
stonetools, I agree that most probably there won't be much change, but the 3.5 inch screen is a non-starter for me. After that we can argue about the file system, the iTunes stores, and the Apple "knows best" approach to technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
luqmaninbmore,
you are a person of superior technical judgement, good taste, and also evince considerable free and sensible will in your choices.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
tubemonkey, I see why you don't want it, but others have different needs and desires.
To each his own.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Before, I thought that a device like this didn't have a lot of point. You'd be better off with a Virgin Mobile Optimus or a bad-ESN Droid or something.

But the 5" seems actually like a decent deal.

I don't have a need right now (can use my phone / winamp for now) but a 5" model makes sense!
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
stonetools, I agree that most probably there won't be much change, but the 3.5 inch screen is a non-starter for me. After that we can argue about the file system, the iTunes stores, and the Apple "knows best" approach to technology.
Frankly, I wouldn't mind a bigger screen-but then, I have an iPad for "big screen" stuff.
As for the rest, count me in as one of those "I just want it to work", hide the technology, " I don't give a %^& about formats" types who is happy in Apple's walled garden. When you are older, you realise that life's too short to be dinking around with devices that should just work coming out of the box.