Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #46
craigmtl
craigmtl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Black
Covers working after reset

Hi,

I did the upgrade a few hours ago and also missed the cover after powering down. Since I was just starting a new book and had nothing to lose, I did a factory reset in the menu...

Now my covers are back and I'm on version 1.4.

Plus I like that when I power it back up - it opens the current book automatically. yay!

Craig in Montreal
craigmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #47
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I tried it from the 'I'm Reading' screen and it went into sleep mode the same as any screen.
Mine too
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #48
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmtl View Post
Hi,

I did the upgrade a few hours ago and also missed the cover after powering down. Since I was just starting a new book and had nothing to lose, I did a factory reset in the menu...

Now my covers are back and I'm on version 1.4.

Plus I like that when I power it back up - it opens the current book automatically. yay!

Craig in Montreal
@Craig, are you sure that you're in power off mode and not just sleep? I'd like to think that what you are saying would work. I really don't want to have to factory reset my device only to have to reset and resync each of my books. So, just to reiterate...you're saying that you now have covers in fully powered off mode????
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #49
craigmtl
craigmtl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Black
I spoke too soon.

It seems it went to sleep and the cover is gone now... took a while for the sleep mode to kick in... arrgh.

Last edited by craigmtl; 07-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
craigmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #50
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmtl View Post
I spoke too soon.

It seems it went to sleep and the cover is gone now... took a while for the sleep mode to kick in... arrgh.
Ok...I thought that sounded too good to be true..lol. I realize the covers thing is really a minor issue, but it was one cool feature I loved showing people. It was as though the kobo represented an authentic book whenever it was off, showing the cover. Now it just looks like any other device with it's logo displayed...I do hope they bring that back in a future update. Sorry Kobo guys...we really are whiners aren't we?? Otherwise...the update was worth the wait!!!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #51
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Update worked fine and now my Kobo is useful again! So far I haven't had any issues with any of the various ePubs.

Like just about everyone else I do not like powering off after 15 minutes. Sleep mode is fine and a complete shutdown should not be automatic.

I'm taking my Kobo on vacation next week and leaving my Kindle 2 at home.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #52
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
TPW, yeah it will stay on the "I'm Reading" without shutting down, but if your actually reading a book it will go to "Sleep"
Doesn't work this way for me; goes to sleep after 15 min. anyhow.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #53
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Well, I was wrong. Even though I reauthorized my Kobo through ADE after the upgrade the books I transferred were still locked. I had to completely reset the Kobo (erasing all my content) and once again authorize my Kobo in ADE to be able to read locked content.

Now to reload all the content I'd loaded in from Calibre. That will take awhile.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #54
JackNF
JackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo eReader
Well, I was looking forward to this firmware update but from what I've read in this thread I'm just not touching it.

I'm NOT giving up having my cover art on screen when I power down. That is a showstopper for me, that is a feature that when I heard about is what swayed me to choose the Kobo over the other options available to me and if they ever expect me to update the firmware on this unit they're just gonna have to put that back in. Period.

I'm also not too keen on how they've implemented auto-shutdown. Yes, I regularly turn the device off when I'm not using it, but having it go into this sleep mode after ~15 minutes without my say, and then fully power down after another ~15 minutes (once again, without my say), is something I'm not too keen on. Make it a user-configurable option, where the user chooses how long it'll take to drop into those states (if ever),
then I'd be all for it, but doing the heavy-handed thing by taking away users' choice in this regard I find unacceptable.

I'll put up with the workarounds I've got for the font scaling and 'content locked' apostrophe issues, and if I've gotta recharge the battery a little more often then I'd need to if I updated so be it. Unless things take a turn for the better come next firmware, that's what I'll be dealing with for a good long time.

Last edited by JackNF; 07-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.
JackNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #55
2dare
2dare began at the beginning.

i am one of the many people the firmware upgrade screwed up royally on. just saying it didn't work for everyone. my computer doesn't even see the kobo anymore. ihave tried to re flash it now 7 times and still the same problem. And no it is not the computer it is the kobo. Very discouraging
2dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #56
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dare View Post
i am one of the many people the firmware upgrade screwed up royally on. just saying it didn't work for everyone. my computer doesn't even see the kobo anymore. ihave tried to re flash it now 7 times and still the same problem. And no it is not the computer it is the kobo. Very discouraging
Please contact our customer service at help@kobobooks.com - we can either get you going or get you a replacement unit.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #57
2dare
2dare began at the beginning.

dear KCKobo and everyone else

since you feel contacting kobo would be of help let me tell you i have contacted them 2 days ago with my problem both in a ticket and then over the phone. Not one person has gotten back to me via kobo. Zero. In the tech industry 2 days is forever. I would not call this great customer service. Since i am one of numerous persons with the EXACT same problem some kind of contact would be appropriate. For all people on here go on about how great the kobo is here is my experience.

Kobo one had to be returned due to a faulty down button. it took a month for the replacement due to there not being any available.

Kobo two made me realize how many other things were wrong with one that i thought were just missed features. kobo two was way better until i upgraded as i found the font problem really annoying. Now the battery life is short, the kobo won't be seen by the computer, and sleep mode has to be reset with the reset button as it freezes the kobo. i have reflashed the mem now 7 times as per instructed by kobo here in the forum as no one from kobo has contacted me, This has done nothing..zero ...zip...

I am a fairly patient person but this is really testing those limits. i would have to say my overall experience with buying a kobo is about a 2 out of ten and in comparison getting a tooth extracted without proper pain management is about a 3.

At the present time I would caution people to wait to buy a kobo. Get one that is already upgraded. I know lots of people had no problems but lots of people did.

And just so you know yes i am a geek so i know the computer systems(well windows) fairly well as i have been using computers since 1987. it would be fair to say i am not a novice and i follow installation instructions to the T.
2dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #58
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dare View Post
since you feel contacting kobo would be of help let me tell you i have contacted them 2 days ago with my problem both in a ticket and then over the phone. Not one person has gotten back to me via kobo.
Can you send me your ticket # as a private message? I'll find out where it is and get it moved along. It shouldn't take 2 days for them to get back to you.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #59
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7
My upgrade, once I worked out the Windows issues, went well. Issues were all driver related.

Great improvement in the firmware, very happy with the result.

Thanks, Kobo, keep up the good work.

I would really like to get the native Linux version of the application... sent a PM but got no response. I run Ubuntu.
Eric Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #60
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7
PS A simple fix for the power setting issues people are complaining about is to give users configurable times for the power stages and the cover art in the Settings page. Easy enough. Some will want to configure them. Some will not.

Personally I am fine with the default behavior provided.

EDIT: I missed the product manager's post on this very issue: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=1

Last edited by Eric Carroll; 07-04-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Eric Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote