Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
FrankN
FrankN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Cover - Styling & Functional

It has been said that confession cleanses the soul. I admit to being a book junkie. I have accepted that my chances for recovery are slim considering I spend far too much time in either waiting on airplanes, riding on airplanes, and not sleeping well in hotels all compounded with my English degree. I not only anticipated the Kindle to be my "fix" but reduce my baggage weight by
10 lbs, less a few extra books. I found the Kindle itself a nearly perfect reading device with the exception of the giant next page key and the fact that it just didn't feel like a book, thus my quest to erase this bad karma.

I placed an earlier post on my quest for the perfect cover. I made scores of prototypes with each one better than the previous, karma improving to the level of just a few bad vibes. A few adjustments, a strategically placed velcro strip, improved clip, small adjustment to the binding etc...Nirvana

Not unlike the feeling I had when I found a first edition leather bound copy of Gone with the Wind, it just feels right. It's sturdy, light, has a nice texture and the Kindle dosn't fall out. I can hold it on either side with my fingers a safe distance from that big key.

I didn't realize, without my wife's astute eye, that I had made all my covers quite gender specific with khaki, tractors and camouflage so I made a slight fashion adjustment with a plaid version.

It appears true that practice makes perfect and I've gotten quite the hang of making Kindle covers. I may try my hand at selling a few but have no clue what to ask for a handcrafted cover. I'm thinking in the forty dollar range that would include the $5.95 priority mail. I would appreciate any feedback to let me know if this is reasonable or if I'm way off base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	12383  
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That price is right in line with what other aftermarket covers cost. I have a couple questions:

How much do they weigh?
Is the right side of the reader secured in any way?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Also, how rigid is the cover. Is it covered plastic or cardboard? How many fabrics do you have? Can someone send you their own fabric?
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote