Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
ereaderwanabe
ereaderwanabe began at the beginning.

Device: nook?
A way around restrictions to book purchases with nook

So, I am nolonger an "ereader wannabe!" I bought a nook. So far I love it and I wanted to let you know of a possible way to purchase books from specifically Barnes and Noble when you are from Canada.

So, I had a b&n account, but was unable to purchase any ebooks The prices are b&N aren't bad and there is far more selection than Kobo, so I really wanted this to work! I was getting the same line many of you have mentioned about in your posts. You get to the check out and then you get the message that the ebook "[only ships to US addresses]."

Though I live in Canada, my family owns a vacation condo in Florida. So I tried adding the address to our family home in Florida on to the b&n account - but still using my Canadian credit card - and it was not letting me purchase anything because the billing address of the card did not match the American address that I was using as a residence in my b&n account.

I found out through a friend that you can have more than one mailing address associated with a credit card. So, I called the customer service number of my credit card, explained the fact that I have a second residence, in the US, that I would like linked to my credit card for online purchases in the US. It was no problem at all. They edited my associated billing addresses and in 15 minutes, when I tried purchasing my ebook, WITH THE SAME CANADIAN CREDIT CARD (but now the card was linked to my American address), the transaction went through.

When I originally called b&n about the inability for Canadians to purchase from B&N they said that the restriction comes down an issue of money i.e. as an example, if a Canadian purchases an ebook from B&N, right now Penguin Publishers Canada and Penguin Publishers U.S. are fighting over who gets the royalties of that kind of a sale.

For now I say, go figure it out amongst yourselves! I don't feel like I am being dishonest. The condo is a legitimate address of a property I occasionally reside in.

Hopefully this is a way for more people to have access to books they want to read that cannot be found at their regional ebook store.

Last edited by ereaderwanabe; 07-18-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typos
ereaderwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I'm glad you found a way around the geo-restrictions crap!

Dumb ass businesses. It seem quite clear to me if it's a Canadian buy it should get Canadian royalties. If American bought than American royalties.

Sheesh it's not rocket science, just doing what's right & fair!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
cotouch
cotouch began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have similar trouble, I am from Europe and I would like to buy nook for 149USD (wifi model), but they dont ship outside US. I think they are selling it a bit cheaper and hope to get their money back from people purchasing their books. Some people on eBay found an oportunity in this and are selling new nooks for 180 USD + shipping, still a reasonable price. So far I have not found any other way to get it to Europe, maybe I could ask friend's US relatives to buy for me and send it...
cotouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotouch View Post
I have similar trouble, I am from Europe and I would like to buy nook for 149USD (wifi model), but they dont ship outside US. I think they are selling it a bit cheaper and hope to get their money back from people purchasing their books. Some people on eBay found an oportunity in this and are selling new nooks for 180 USD + shipping, still a reasonable price. So far I have not found any other way to get it to Europe, maybe I could ask friend's US relatives to buy for me and send it...
You can use an USA mail forwarding address from Borderlinx or USunlocked to order to Nook. Use the mail forwarding address as shipping and billing addres of your B&N account. Use a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8,50) to get an USA IP-address.
This way you can order the Nook, and buy books from B&N, from outside the USA.

Take a look at the Nook forum here at Mobileread. You will find a lot of international Nook users there.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderwanabe View Post
So, I am nolonger an "ereader wannabe!" I bought a nook. So far I love it and I wanted to let you know of a possible way to purchase books from specifically Barnes and Noble when you are from Canada.

So, I had a b&n account, but was unable to purchase any ebooks The prices are b&N aren't bad and there is far more selection than Kobo, so I really wanted this to work! I was getting the same line many of you have mentioned about in your posts. You get to the check out and then you get the message that the ebook "[only ships to US addresses]."

Though I live in Canada, my family owns a vacation condo in Florida. So I tried adding the address to our family home in Florida on to the b&n account - but still using my Canadian credit card - and it was not letting me purchase anything because the billing address of the card did not match the American address that I was using as a residence in my b&n account.

I found out through a friend that you can have more than one mailing address associated with a credit card. So, I called the customer service number of my credit card, explained the fact that I have a second residence, in the US, that I would like linked to my credit card for online purchases in the US. It was no problem at all. They edited my associated billing addresses and in 15 minutes, when I tried purchasing my ebook, WITH THE SAME CANADIAN CREDIT CARD (but now the card was linked to my American address), the transaction went through.

When I originally called b&n about the inability for Canadians to purchase from B&N they said that the restriction comes down an issue of money i.e. as an example, if a Canadian purchases an ebook from B&N, right now Penguin Publishers Canada and Penguin Publishers U.S. are fighting over who gets the royalties of that kind of a sale.

For now I say, go figure it out amongst yourselves! I don't feel like I am being dishonest. The condo is a legitimate address of a property I occasionally reside in.

Hopefully this is a way for more people to have access to books they want to read that cannot be found at their regional ebook store.
The billing address is not verified with the credit card company. You can just put in any USA address to get access to all the books.
Adding the address as a real billing address to your credit card is not neccessary.
This works for almost every USA e-book store.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You can use this address:

623 East 68th St Apt 3D
New York, NY 10021

Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote