Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #151
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
If you release those aspects of religion that don't stand up to scientific method then what exactly is left?
For many, the feeling that life is more than the sum of its parts is sufficient. I would say that the awe felt by astronomers when they survey the skies or the beauty mathematicians find in an elegant formula could be considered a type of religious sentiment.

Even the mere suspicion that there is an overarching intelligence at work, past or present, is at heart a religious sentiment. It certainly isn't subject to falsification, it certainly isn't necessary to explain the inner workings of evolution, but it isn't inconceivable.

Personally, I am agnostic in such matters; but it seems remarkable to me that we live in a universe capable in any degree of comprehending itself. Why this should be, I have no clue. I am under no delusion that human beings are the central reason for the existence of the cosmos, nor do I think it evident that humans are its unique concern. If this present reality in any sense has a creator, it seems more likely that this creator is an experimental scientist rather than an omniscient shepherd.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #152
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Beppe, you've become fruity.

Or veggie or something.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #153
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For many, the feeling that life is more than the sum of its parts is sufficient. I would say that the awe felt by astronomers when they survey the skies or the beauty mathematicians find in an elegant formula could be considered a type of religious sentiment.
I would call that Spritual or Sense of Wonder moreso than religious. I make a special effort to separate this from what I call religion -- which is as I explained belief without proof.

Dang maybe we should start a different thread on this whole topic eh?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #154
kennyc

Quote:
.... If this present reality in any sense has a creator, it seems more likely that this creator is an experimental scientist rather than an omniscient shepherd.

or maybe a warped kid with a very strange sense of humor...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #155
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
or maybe a warped kid with a very strange sense of humor...
That would explain much!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #156
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Beppe, you've become fruity.

Or veggie or something.
It is the diet. That is Verdemus.

You will like this
http://www.khanacademy.org/
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #157
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
For many, the feeling that life is more than the sum of its parts is sufficient.
I'll take that, but without the religion, thank you

I am currently not reading (started it but got sidetracked ) a book by Edgar Morin, who is a French thinker of complexity. Probably not the most adequate wording, but I hope you see what I mean. Some atoms get together and you get a molecule, whose properties are not the same as the sum of the atoms' properties. Some of these molecules somehow got together and formed the beginning of a cell. Then some cells got together and a living organism was born. Living organisms can sometimes form incredibly rich and complex societies. And here I am, typing this when I should be working (again).

Isn't life wonderful?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #158
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a question.
Although it appears that organized religon in general has become unpopular, the concept of a clear set of moral guidelines with which to live by seems, to me, to be increasingly important. It is almost as if society, as it turns it's back on religon, is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Where does one find moral guidelines in a religon free world?
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #159
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I am currently not reading (started it but got sidetracked ) a book by Edgar Morin, who is a French thinker of complexity. Probably not the most adequate wording, but I hope you see what I mean. Some atoms get together and you get a molecule, whose properties are not the same as the sum of the atoms' properties. Some of these molecules somehow got together and formed the beginning of a cell. Then some cells got together and a living organism was born.
I'll have a look at that book. I quite liked Seven Clues to the Origin of Life by Cairns-Smith which covered the transition from chemical to biological life. The selfish gene by Dawkins is also required reading. I currently have Genome by Riddley on my reading list and this is also suppose to be a good read.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #160
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I have a question.
Although it appears that organized religon in general has become unpopular, the concept of a clear set of moral guidelines with which to live by seems, to me, to be increasingly important. It is almost as if society, as it turns it's back on religon, is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Where does one find moral guidelines in a religon free world?
... or in a global world where many religions and moral standards co-exist? Remember the thread about the boobquake?

Traditionally morals and religion are closely linked, but that only works in a world where everyone has the same religion.

I think that in fact all the different moral standards have a common ground that is not so small (murder is a no-no in all moral systems, although the definitions of murder may vary). The details are what kills us.

The problem is not the death of religion leading to the death of moral standards. We all have moral standards. This is something that is deeply ingrained in us, in part by genetic coding (chimpanzee have some seeds of moral standards, according to some studies), but mostly by education. These moral standards are shaped partly by religious traditions, but they survive them.

The problem is finding a common ground that allows us to live together in a world where different cultures and moral standards are constantly in contact. I'm not saying it's easy, but it doesn't need religion. In fact, we do it every day. It's not easy and unfortunately, too often it leads to violence. But on the whole, we do it.

Drat. Have to go back to work again.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #161
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I'll have a look at that book. I quite liked Seven Clues to the Origin of Life by Cairns-Smith which covered the transition from chemical to biological life. The selfish gene by Dawkins is also required reading. I currently have Genome by Riddley on my reading list and this is also suppose to be a good read.
Unfortunately Edgar Morin doesn't seem to be very popular in the English-speaking world, I think very few of his books were translated to English. It's a shame, but I'm sure there are other thinkers in the English language world that have related preoccupation. Don't know any names though
Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #162
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Does religion ask, or does religion tell?
Or does religion seek to explain that which is otherwise unexplainable?

One of the issues I have with religion is the changes the message has undergone over centuries. Changes in interpretation, errors in translation, decisions by copyists to adjust statements so that they conform to the accepted morals/ideals of the age. How can we, now, be sure that the events now written in the sacred scriptures say the same as their original author, and messages not twisted to suit, especially as the author themself may be transcribing an event that happened many years before.

Science, on the other hand, tends to adjust earlier assumptions by further investigation, experimentation and realisation. Building on the shoulders of giants .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #163
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I have a question.
I don't think religion provides moral guidelines.

All it seems to do is say if you want to get to Heaven then you must do x.
The justification for doing x is the purely selfish one of getting yourself into Heaven - the morality of doing x doesn't enter into it.

Abraham was prepared to kill his son because his god was telling him to.

One reason I'm not religious is because, even if many religions' Gods did exist, I don't think any are worth worshipping.

Last edited by Sparrow; 06-09-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #164
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I don't think religion provides moral guidelines.

All it seems to do is say if you want to get to Heaven then you must do x.
The justification for doing x is the pureley selfish one of getting yourself into Heaven - the morality of doing x doesn't enter into it.

Abraham was prepared to kill his son because his god was telling him to.

Who said so .... can we believe that to be true ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #165
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Someone who may show a penchant similar to Morin's for synthesizing biological and sociological approaches to human behaviour is WG Runciman - he writes about memes here - although his writing is rather more accessible than Morin's.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philosophy, plato