Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
interesting..
The newspapers in Australia have been saying that Borders here (with Kobo) will be setting up a ebook service for Australians. They also stated that they will sell ebook readers in all their stores, these ereaders will be about $200. Take into account the difference in the dollar and Taxes here in Australia .. I wonder if this is the ereader they plan to sell
And I think Angus & Robertson were part of that deal. Well for the price I guess it isn't too bad, looks a little but like a kids toy.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
interesting..
The newspapers in Australia have been saying that Borders here (with Kobo) will be setting up a ebook service for Australians. They also stated that they will sell ebook readers in all their stores, these ereaders will be about $200. Take into account the difference in the dollar and Taxes here in Australia .. I wonder if this is the ereader they plan to sell
Before Borders went bust in the UK they were selling the Elonex 511EB as their reader, and the stock went on to Waterstone's (which is where I got mine). That doesn't mean that this Kobo one isn't the device they'll use, of course.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #33
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Before Borders went bust in the UK they were selling the Elonex 511EB as their reader
They also had the EB600. I always though it was the only one.
We are talking about borders.uk , right? Are there two kinds of Borders?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #34
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by judahis View Post
Why would this device be designed to not support .txt and .doc files, such as one gets from Gutenberg? Do they want us to waste time converting files just to get a cheap ebook reader? I don't get it.
Gutenberg offers ePub copies of their works as well. They're auto-converted (usually from the html) and so there might be formatting errors, but then you'd be dealing with that if you converted them yourself anyway.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #35
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Interesting, the wikipedia entry suggests a different device:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders_Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Despite financial and organizational difficulties, Borders continues to make new commitments, having recently signed a contract with Spring Design and Kobo Inc. to market their new Alex e-Reader and accessories.
Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #36
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Borders will be the store you can shop from the Alex . Kobo is actually setting up the ebook store for Borders

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
This price point is great for my Mom, who is really interested in this reading method, but is a bit hesitant about the cost. The level of device features is great for her too - I don't want to overwhelm her.
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For someone like myself who has been wrestling with what e-reader to buy for some time, this comes as a very pleasant surprise. I had planned to buy the Boox when I'm down in Florida next month but I've always been unsure as I know the e-reader market is really just hitting its stride and I expect some pretty great devices to come out by next x-mas. I think by next year I'll be able to get a lot more bang for my buck for the $330 I would have spent on the boox. I think this device will be a great interim device until some newer products hit the market.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #39
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
@ Duiker
Just buy the best you can afford and hang onto it for as long as possible. There are always better products just around the corner.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #40
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'll look for you in the Kobo session then.
Did you get a chance to look at it or try it out?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
@ Duiker
Just buy the best you can afford and hang onto it for as long as possible. There are always better products just around the corner.
It this case the price is the important factor, not the fact that it is technically better since it is not.

Attributes:

* Very basic reader with only ePUB and PDF. Uses ADE DRM.
* Portable books using Kobo eBook Readers on smartphones.
* Will be the Borders offering to compete with the Nook.
* Very inexpensive - cheapest e Ink reader on the market and it is 6" that is cheaper than the current crop of 5"
* Bluetooth is a substitute for cellphone wireless, it can use your cellphone to buy books and browse Borders and Kobo sites.
* Includes book management, purchase interface in the reader.
* Use proven Netronix hardware.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #42
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'll look for you in the Kobo session then.
Were you there? How did you find Tamblyn?

The promises were true, and there was indeed a Kobo reader at Tech Forum. It's not bad, the d-pad is a d-pad and the reader was very responsive, impressively so. The reader I used was a prototype, it had a glossy finish but they're saying matte when it launches. Page turns were also fast, as fast as a kindle at least, and they've got 6 weeks of updates before it launches.

I also found out that presale begins March 30, for Canada at least.

The quilted back was actually nice. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it was better than straight plastic.

Over all, nice little reader.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #43
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yes, I was the one who asked about the Canadian price... btw, $149, --for a limited time maybe while we have parity with US$?

I found Michael's talk quite interesting, and afterward quite happy to let me look at the reader. One thing I noticed is that the case feels much more rigid than the regular Netronix cases - and not as easy to open up, as far as I can tell. And I like the choice of serif or sans serif fonts in a usable range of sizes. If you can wait a bit it will come in black as well as white. (I may not wait...)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #44
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post

The promises were true, and there was indeed a Kobo reader at Tech Forum. It's not bad, the d-pad is a d-pad and the reader was very responsive, impressively so. The reader I used was a prototype, it had a glossy finish but they're saying matte when it launches. Page turns were also fast, as fast as a kindle at least, and they've got 6 weeks of updates before it launches.

I also found out that presale begins March 30, for Canada at least.

The quilted back was actually nice. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it was better than straight plastic.

Over all, nice little reader.
I for one will be pre-ordering March 30th. Thanks for the extra info.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #45
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
And I like the choice of serif or sans serif fonts in a usable range of sizes. If you can wait a bit it will come in black as well as white. (I may not wait...)
You know, I'm nerdy enough that I'll probably be getting a skin, anyway.

The device itself is made by RIM, this is at the bottom of the koboreader.com FAQ:
BlackBerry®, RIM®, Research In Motion®, SureType®, SurePress™ and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. Used under license from Research In Motion Limited.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote