Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Gene45
Enthusiast
Gene45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Get Books Prices

Anyone notice that the Get Books price at Kindle and the price when you go to kindle are different? For example:

Black List by Brad Thor is $9.99 at Kindle according to Get books, but if you go to Kindle, it is $19.03.

I have noticed this on others as well.

Kobo prices appear to be the same in Get books or on Kobo.
Gene45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene45 View Post
Black List by Brad Thor is $9.99 at Kindle according to Get books, but if you go to Kindle, it is $19.03.
$9.99 is the US price. Perhaps you're somewhere else, but it's goiving you the US price in Calibre?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Currently the Kindle price at Amazon is $9.99 (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindleprice.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	97908  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Gene45
Enthusiast

I don't know how you found the 9.99 price.

Here is Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

Name:	amazon2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	97932

Name:	amazon.ca.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	97933

The CDN $ is slightly more than the US $ so the prices should be similar.

I just asked Google to take me to amazon.com and amazon.ca,
how else do you find amazon?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I just asked Google to take me to amazon.com and amazon.ca,
how else do you find amazon?
A Bookmark:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Books/b...ode=1286228011

Typing "Black List" in the search box brings up this page:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=Black+List

Looks like $9.99 to me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Gene45
Enthusiast

Using your bookmark and searching within Amazon gives me the 9.909 price.

Searching within Calibre, advanced search, sometimes it won't find the kindle book at all, and when it does and I go there it is $19.03.

If I use Calibre to get to Kobo, Diesel or the Sony store I get the same prices but not Amazon.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know what to tell you. I don't usually use Calibre to search for books, but I just tried it for this book and it showed $9.99 and so did the Amazon page it took me to. :shrugs:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The search engine with calibre *seems* to be not optimal. A search with *all* amazon sites enabled only brings up results for amazon.de and amazon.es and we know it's available at amazon.com.

Like Brian above, I don't use the calibre search and it looks like the smart thing for you to do is just use the kindle bookmark for your searches.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Gene45
Enthusiast

I have used calibre to search because there are different prices at different places. I suspect that calibre takes me to amazon.com, which cannot, or will not, sell in Canada, since here is amazon.ca. Barnes and Noble will not sell in Canada, but are a happy enough to let ME set up and account. I have bought a book from Diesel, because the price was lower, but other titles they will not sell to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can tick boxes within get books to include / exclude specific amazon sites. - try fine tuning it for location
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Like Brian above, I don't use the calibre search and it looks like the smart thing for you to do is just use the kindle bookmark for your searches.
Purchasing via the Get Books search is the "smart thing" since calibre is partially supported via the funds generated by users buying books in this manner from the stores with hearts under the affiliate column.

The best thing folks can do is go to "Choose stores" and uncheck any stores that you can't purchase from. When I click on Amazon from Get Books search that shows $9.99 I am taken to the Kindle edition the same as the link above. It appears that Amazon directs folks to certain pages based on what country they're trying to reach it from.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Gene45
Enthusiast

And we are supposed to have "Free Trade" between Canada and the US..........
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
$19.03 is the Canadian price (CDN$15.99) which is set by the publisher, converted to US dollars and (I suspect) another $2 tacked on the top.

It looks like buying from Amazon.ca is better for you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Gene45
Enthusiast

Or borrow a US address and use a hotmail e-mail address.