Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #136
abderrahman
abderrahman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
@Mike:
Can you please make said changes (root password & GUID) & upload the images?
abderrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #137
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by abderrahman View Post
@Mike:
Can you please make said changes (root password & GUID) & upload the images?
Note that you can not upload those images to this site.
That comes under the guidelines, section 8.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #138
abderrahman

so we get around it by pasting the URL into a pastebin for example?
That way the image URL isn't here... but it's some URL to a text file
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #139
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abderrahman View Post
so we get around it by pasting the URL into a pastebin for example?
That way the image URL isn't here... but it's some URL to a text file
You get around it by up-loading the files to a file sharing service of your choice and then sending by PM the url to the person who maintains the off-site listings (geekmaster).
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #140
abderrahman

Alright... I've managed finally to update to 4.1 - FINALLY!

here's how:

first I flashed the 4.0.0 from greekmaster's pastebin, then applied the script to undo the "crappy screensaver hack" included in the partition (which I really urge someone to fix & re-upload)

updating OTA kept giving U006... the bin file it downloads was about 20MB. after some searching I found a Chinese blog, and through the magic of translation I found a link to the official 4.1 bin from Amazon (he just mentioned it, how updating using it fails if you've installed SS hack)... they say curiosity killed the cat, but it updated my Kindle!

The official Amazon bin is about 40MB... so I downloaded it to try it, maybe just maybe it'd work. sure enough it did =]
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #141
rocksolid
rocksolid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Non Touch
Kindle 4 NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Your way of trying to use recovery mode is not correct. make sure that you're following this:
Hello,
I have a Kindle NT (perhaps called Kindle 4NT) I do not know how to identify it any way except that it is the smallest with no keyboard and has a wifi.
I too tried some experimentation that went awry and got stuck in diag. mode after doing enable_diag stuff. Now the screen is frozen and does not work with USB drive mode (pressing of power button at the bottom and the magic key 5way down button.) However while pressing all kinds of key combination it started the diagnostic mode again. I went through several cycles of reboot selection but it keeps coming back to the diagnostic screen -TEQUILA system Diags. Finally it is frozen SOLID. No response to any key combination. Any suggestions are welcome thanks
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #142
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
Hello,
I have a Kindle NT (perhaps called Kindle 4NT) I do not know how to identify it any way except that it is the smallest with no keyboard and has a wifi.
I too tried some experimentation that went awry and got stuck in diag. mode after doing enable_diag stuff. Now the screen is frozen and does not work with USB drive mode (pressing of power button at the bottom and the magic key 5way down button.) However while pressing all kinds of key combination it started the diagnostic mode again. I went through several cycles of reboot selection but it keeps coming back to the diagnostic screen -TEQUILA system Diags. Finally it is frozen SOLID. No response to any key combination. Any suggestions are welcome thanks
Congratulations!
You have most probably run down the battery. (diags mode eats battery - no power controls).
Start re-charging it now, charge for two days, get back to us then.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #143
rocksolid

Smile Kindle4NT

thanks. The battery charge indicator in normal situation looks bright green in full charge and amber when running low on battery. My Kindle is showing bright green indicating full charge. Do these standard indicators work differently in Diags mode? Then of course I need to charge it for several days. Otherwise the problem needs other solution like the experts here say. Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #144
knc1
Going Viral

OK, I just have to get a rubber stamp for this reply, RSN!!!

The battery management, the battery charge and charge indicators (screen and led) are run by firmware.

If the firmware is known to not be working as intended - -
YOU CAN NOT TRUST THE BATTERY INDICATORS when the firmware is broken.

Just put the *&&^%$% thing on a charger until you get it fixed!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #145
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch

Code:
http://bit.ly/kcharge
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #146
rocksolid

Thanks once again. It got into my tiny brain finally. I will charge it for two days. In the mean while guide me with the next set instructions that I will print and follow one by one not to make any further mistakes. gratitude my friends.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #147
rocksolid

Hi I am back in diags mode from a frozen screen state after long charging. Now I see 7 items on my laptop explorer that is connected to kindle.
The Kindle root shows 5 directories and three files as follows:
directories
1.-active-content-data
2. diagnostic_logs
3. documents
4. KindleSelectBoot
5. Pictures
files
1.DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIRS
2. ENABLE_DIAGS
3. RUNME.sh
some of these things - directories and files I may have copied earlier in my experimentation. So we take for granted that nothing is original on Kindle Now here on tell me how to proceed dear experts. thanks

Last edited by rocksolid; 12-16-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #148
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yeah. Trying to get out of Diags. ???

You still trying to do that?

IIRC there was some file (diagnostic_logs.xml or something) that needs to be present (on the touch at least).

This file is made by running one of the tests. Or you can just make one by hand IIRC.

Then you can just choose Exit Diags. (or w/e that option was called)

There must be quite a lot of threads on this by now. Basically "I am stuck in DIAGs"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2134747
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2063941
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2079601

and others.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #149
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Delete RUNME.sh and ENABLE_DIAGS. Then reboot.

There is already a diagnostic_logs folder, so it probably already contains the xml file needed to use "disable diags".

The only way your USB drive should be exported as you showed, is if it is booted to main, or you selected the "export USB" menu option in diags. If you are in main with the diags screen shown, you may have physically damaged your eink screen substrate.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-16-2012 at 12:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #150
rocksolid

K4NT

thanks.
I solved the problems and hacked in properly without any further issues. I can juggle with Diags now with ease too.

By the way the battery full charge issue is not important at all, I discovered. Even with very little charge I could initiate the frozen Kindle screen into action through this mavel of software mfgtool.exe, after connecting the Kindle through USB. My kindle was not identified in windows but still MFGtool did some trick to force the Kindle to unfreeze the screen. Wonderful.

Tags
debricking