Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
samort7
samort7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Question epub to mobi - image duplication?

Hi, I love Calibre and have used it a few times now for converting epubs to mobi, but now I have come to a problem:

I bought an epub from Paizo.com and converted it to mobi using Calibre for my Kindle 4. The problem is on some of the images (not all), the top 10% or so gets duplicated and the bottom 10% gets cut off. I'm not sure why this is happening. Anyone have an idea? Viewing the mobi file through Calibre and the Amazon Kindle app for PC shows no errors.

I've included uploaded images of the problem as well.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-12_20-17-25_877.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	841.5 KB
ID:	82522   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-12_20-17-50_663.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	82523  
samort7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by samort7 View Post
Hi, I love Calibre and have used it a few times now for converting epubs to mobi, but now I have come to a problem:

I bought an epub from Paizo.com and converted it to mobi using Calibre for my Kindle 4. The problem is on some of the images (not all), the top 10% or so gets duplicated and the bottom 10% gets cut off. I'm not sure why this is happening. Anyone have an idea? Viewing the mobi file through Calibre and the Amazon Kindle app for PC shows no errors.

I've included uploaded images of the problem as well.

Thanks for your help!
This has been mentioned before. I don't remember the solution, but I think it is a K4 problem (have you done the Firmware update?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Sounds like a Kindle bug, most likely related to the way the files are encoded (just a guess). You could try using Tweak ePub and open each file in some image manipulation program and re-save them. (back up the original before you do this). Different jpeg settings or even a different encoding library will probably make the Kindle happy with the final mobi.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
samort7

Haha, ok the problem has been partially solved. I updated my Kindle's firmware and re-converted the file after making sure my ouput profile was set to "Kindle" (I did this through Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Page Setup > Output Profile) Now I the cover looks normal (yay!) but the map page still has the error. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
You could try using Tweak ePub and open each file in some image manipulation program and re-save them. (back up the original before you do this). Different jpeg settings or even a different encoding library will probably make the Kindle happy with the final mobi.
That sounds a little complicated... I'm not exactly sure how to do that...

Last edited by samort7; 02-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
samort7

Oh my goodness... So I used the "tweak ebook" option and edited the html for the map image. I renamed it, and edited the original image slightly so that it was also renamed and would be recognize as a new image. Converted it again and the map page looks fine! But now the cover is repeating again!

Thanks for all your help by the way. I'm going to try and alter the cover image as well and see if that changes anything...
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
samort7

Ok. I finally got the two images working. Reediting the cover didn't work like it did for the map. Instead, using the "tweak ebook" option, I located the cover image and saved it to my desktop. Then when converting the book from epub to mobi I had it use the saved image as the cover representation. Now both the cover and map are correct. Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
duplication, error, image