Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Kindle time 24hour?

Is there a way to make the Kindle time 24hour?
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Not without hacking it. I'd like that option also, but that's one of the options that Amazon doesn't think we need.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably because it's primarily aimed at the US Market, where the 12h clock is predominantly used. Amazon may perhaps simply be unaware that those of us elsewhere use mainly a 24h clock!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Is it that difficult to just do simple math? I mean really, if you see PM add 12.
I'm from the US but I've gotten used to 24h, as well as 12h, and also reading analog faces as well...

Perhaps we should petition for active displays and themes like so:
http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/1/
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Is it that difficult to just do simple math? I mean really, if you see PM add 12.[/URL]
It really has nothing to do with math... I am also used to looking at a 24 hour clock and change all the ones that have the option to read as such.
It has to do with personal preference...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It really has nothing to do with math... I am also used to looking at a 24 hour clock and change all the ones that have the option to read as such.
It has to do with personal preference...
Exactly. Amazon really should cater for different preferences for things like this.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. Amazon really should cater for different preferences for things like this.
Yep... set it up for the US market since that is the place where they are going to sell the most... but just have the options there for us to tinker a little with them.
How hard wold it be to have the option to say, have the menu in a different language? 12 vs 24 hr clock? Change the screen saver time?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
How hard wold it be to have the option to say, have the menu in a different language? 12 vs 24 hr clock? Change the screen saver time?
It wouldn’t be hard at all. But Jeff Bezos is just as controlling of the "user experience" as Steve Jobs is.

Except you can set the time to 24-hour display on the iThings.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
There is a little hack for 24 hour clock:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106048
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Is it that difficult to just do simple math? I mean really, if you see PM add 12.
Why do the math at all? Use 24Hr clocks and everything is easy.

When I see 3 PM or 3 AM I have to think: Euhhhh What does it mean again? To me that is not obvious

Oh yeah..AM is Ante Meridium and PM is Post Meridium. That is Latin...Hmmm, not my native language. Actually nobodies native language these days.

Lets translate: Meridium is the middle of the day...Ante is before and Post is After. So NOW I can decide if I have to add somthing or not to find the correct time of day.

I'm aware that Americans use it all day so the know by heart what it means. But I use it only once every 3-4 months so I do have to go through this sequence every time I see PM or AM
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
I'm aware that Americans use it all day so the know by heart what it means. But I use it only once every 3-4 months so I do have to go through this sequence every time I see PM or AM
So thanks to your Kindle you can use it frequently too and know by heart what it means too
P.S. I am a European using the 24 hours hack
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Why do the math at all? Use 24Hr clocks and everything is easy.

When I see 3 PM or 3 AM I have to think: Euhhhh What does it mean again? To me that is not obvious
Well, for the reason people didn't use it to begin with - hard to fit 24 spaces on a clock (or watch) face and still have it readable.

Or has Europe gone all digital clock/watch?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
While they were at it, if they were going to offer a simple toggle option to switch between 12 and 24 hours, wouldn't it also be child's play to offer a toggle between the Locations figure which is not everyone's cuppa tea, and a Page number which could be an average figure Amazon could derive from taking, say, 100 books of various types and formats and coming up with a reasonably usable figure, e.g. 2,000 characters = 1 page or whatever. Call me a Luddite, but I'd still like to have some sort of feel for how many 'pages' I've done in a book!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, for the reason people didn't use it to begin with - hard to fit 24 spaces on a clock (or watch) face and still have it readable.

Or has Europe gone all digital clock/watch?
Analogue clocks are still 12h, but wherever a time is written down as a number, it's normally done using the 24h clock.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
Are you trying to stress how ancient the 12h format is?
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote