Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
Xorecs
Xorecs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd Edition v2
Aura second edition v2 keeps restarting and restoring

Hiya!

My parent's ereader (an Aura 2nd edition v2) isn't working properly anymore. It keeps booting up into the 'Restoring' screen and then restarts back into the restoring screen. I've tried disconnecting the battery and also tried manually upgrading the firmware on the SD card.

So far nothing fixed the issue though, any idea on how to fix this unit? Would it be possible to create a brand new SD card with a clean image somehow?

Thanks!
Xorecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
JAC70
JAC70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Assuming yours has a removable micro SD card, you can replace it with a new one (larger & faster) with the process outlined here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209122
JAC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Is there a card, though? My Aura h2o2v2 apparently doesn't. I havent actually checked because I dont know how to open it but it would be good to know.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There is an SD card inside both versions of the Aura Edition 2. But, so far, we haven't seen an image made for the version 2 device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Mine is an AH2OV2, not a AE2.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 02:28 AM   #6
Xorecs

It actually has a SD card, and it's apparently an 8GB card (shouldn't it be 4GB?). I tried creating an image from it and writing it to a brand new SD card, unfortunately I still get the same issues. I think the image itself is corrupted. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Since it's broken anyways, I would like to try to get the v1 firmware on there. @davidfor, do you have that for me?
Old 08-31-2020, 03:03 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorecs View Post
It actually has a SD card, and it's apparently an 8GB card (shouldn't it be 4GB?).
That isn't uncommon. They get specced with one size csards, but, for some reason, larger cards are used, generally later in the production. They don't rebuild the image for them.
Quote:
I tried creating an image from it and writing it to a brand new SD card, unfortunately I still get the same issues. I think the image itself is corrupted. Any other ideas on how to fix this?
A corruption on the old card would get copied to the new card.
Quote:
Since it's broken anyways, I would like to try to get the v1 firmware on there. @davidfor, do you have that for me?
That definitely won't work. And is one of the reasons we found out about the version 1 and version 2. There are definite differences between the hardware which requires differences in the firmware for them, and one does not boot with the firmware from the other.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:26 AM   #8
Xorecs

Hmm, after some more tinkering I've possibly fixed the issue. The provided SD card wasn't salvageable. I made an image from it (which was corrupted) and got it onto a new 32GB card. When inspecting the old SD card I noticed it had an extra 3gb unpartitioned block on it, but I was unable to expand the main partition due to the SD card being corrupted. Weirdly enough, the main partition was completely full but I was able to write more data to it which would explain the corruption.

After I got the corrupted image onto the new SD card I was able to expand the main partition to 19gb. After I installed this into the ereader it started to restore and restart a few times again and it ended up booting properly (although it's completely reset now it seems). I'll test it for a bit today and see if it's truly fixed.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That isn't uncommon. They get specced with one size csards, but, for some reason, larger cards are used, generally later in the production. They don't rebuild the image for them.
They apparently don't even rebuild the partition table for a size change too. Nothing uses CHS addressing anymore, so this doesn't actually matter, but the CHS addresses in the partition table don't appear to match up with the LBA ones.

Quote:
A corruption on the old card would get copied to the new card.
For the record, my last SD card failure in a Kobo was a better one (note that it's my own, not the one which came with it) which went read-only, but still with everything intact, and caused factory reset loops because of that. The one before that was actually corrupted, though.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote