Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
Sigil ignores some CSS-specified fonts

Sigil 0.9.2 on Mac OS 10.11.2

I have a completed book with the body font specified as Times in the CSS stylesheet. I wanted to change the font-family listing to "Palatino Linotype", Palatino, Times, serif. Both Palatino fonts were active and could be used in applications. However, Sigil would not apply them. I manage fonts (other than System and User fonts) with Linotype FontExplorer X, but I doubt that makes a difference. I tried numerous active fonts, and Sigil applied only some of them to the book. Is Sigil restricted to certain fonts? Will it work only with fonts in the System and User folders?
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have no experience with specifying fonts that aren't actually embedded in the epub, but .... a general rule of thumb is to not use Sigil as the final arbiter of whether fonts are "working" or not. Qt Webkit can be flaky about displaying fonts. Validate your css to rule out any syntax errors and then view the epub with ADE.

I honestly don't know how Sigil finds/accesses fonts that aren't embedded. I assume it would look in the typical os-specific font folders.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
AFAIK Sigl makes no attempt to find system fonts. It expects them to be embedded or the Target device will deal.

System paths and device (font) paths will be different

I have 100's of fonts (from Wordperfect Pro) that are NOT known to my system.
I use these to put back fonts that the publisher could not embed in book I bought.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
theducks - Feel free to not respond

Quote:
theducks history (via the Internet Wayback Machine)
In general: I am willing to Help, Not do your Homework for you. - I will provide: key words, tips, links - - and my favorite... Brainstorming a unique situation.
Nobody has a gun to your head. Feel free to not respond to my posts, especially when your homework-doing and brainstorming don't answer my simple question. And, in case you care, I did my homework and found no answer. I've been using Sigil for years. How many times have I posted questions when the answer was readily available elsewhere? If you can find the answer (and not a guess) as to why changing from Font A to active Font B sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, I'm sure that some users other than me would like to know.
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That is simply theducks signature automatically added to every post. It was not a direct response to your question. theducks was trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrault View Post
Nobody has a gun to your head. Feel free to not respond to my posts, especially when your homework-doing and brainstorming don't answer my simple question. And, in case you care, I did my homework and found no answer. I've been using Sigil for years. How many times have I posted questions when the answer was readily available elsewhere? If you can find the answer (and not a guess) as to why changing from Font A to active Font B sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, I'm sure that some users other than me would like to know.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrault View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That is simply theducks signature automatically added to every post. It was not a direct response to your question. theducks was trying to help.
What KevinH said. Both theducks and KevinH are Sigil mods, btw. Please review MR policy on basic courtesy.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Do you have the fonts embedded and specified correctly with @font-face? There are no errors in your stylesheet? You have added bold and/or italic fonts as well to reflect that layout if used?

Please post the relevant parts of your stylesheet and code. Perhaps then we can find an answer for you. Also, it might be that Sigil just doesn't display it due to QT-issues or other. A good reader is a real test.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
goroke
goroke began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a specified font embedded in my file, and it works fine... until Sigil deletes the embedded fonts. Has a nasty habit of doing that, and deleting embedded images as well.
goroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #10
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I have never seen this that Sigil deletes files - regardless whether foint files or images - for its own. I only can imagine that the manifest was broken before.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:44 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
I have never seen this that Sigil deletes files - regardless whether foint files or images - for its own. I only can imagine that the manifest was broken before.

Broken links, broken manifest and you cleaned unused...

Pass validation before housecleaning
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There was an old bug (since fixed) that would delete the contents of css files under fairly rare conditions, but the actual deletion of files from an epub? That's a new one on me. Never had it happen, never heard any reports about it happening 'til now. I'd have to see some reproduceable steps to believe it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It will delete (or rather not load) images/fonts/etc if you load an ePUB that has not referenced them correctly in the opf. If you miss that and then save, the files seems deleted.

I noticed that in 0.8.6 for sure. Some books I had under my nose had some images with the wrong extension in the opf, but correctly in the HTML files. They images were not loaded, because I assume the loading process looks at the files in the opf. The book worked fine on readers. It was probably done to punish editing the book (removing watermarks or something).

Anyway, I consider this a different case.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote