Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Let me know what you think after you've used it a bit...

Thanks!
I got my TonidoPlug in the mail yesterday, and hooked it up to my router, connected a TB USB hard drive to it, and started playing with it. All I have to say is that it works exactly as advertised. I now have access to a private 1 TB cloud that I hold all of the keys (caveat below) to. They advertise that the thing supports a USB hub, and you can plug in multiple hard drives, so that means the limit is however mach storage you’re willing to pay for and however many USB hosts Ubuntu is capable of.

It also presents your drive on the private facing side as Shared Network Attached Storage, which means you can map it as a drive letter and use it as you would use any other drive on any system on your private LAN.

There are apps (clients) for Android, Blackberry, iOS, and can be accessed from any computer via a web interface. The web interface is pretty straight forward, but the Android app UI is a little cumbersome. Defiantly not up to DropBox standards; but what the hey, it works.

One note of caution, when you set up web shares, the default access mode is “everyone”, not knowing this; I set up a share to my entire 1 TB, and sent the URL to my work address. When I got to work this morning I discovered that my entire cloud was wide open to anyone who knew the URL. I immediatly loged on as admin, set up a guest account and restricted the share to that account. Now it requires a username and password (recommend a strong password) to access the drive. Also be aware that the user name on the guest account is case sensitive.

The caveat to holding the keys is that unless you have a static IP, you will need a dynamic DNS service. Tonido provides such a service, but it will work with any of the services available on the internet. So they keep your login info (except password) on their Dynamic DNS servers, but all other date is local. Also, if for whatever reason Tonido should fail as a company, you are not dependant on them for Dynamic DNS, you can just subscribe to another service.

Last edited by wodin; 03-23-2011 at 02:18 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@wodin thanks for the review. I actually have a similar device that offers web interface access to my HD. I haven't enabled anything on it yet, time to look into it. However the Android app interface seems like this device might be worth purchasing one in the future.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
@=X=

Tonido has three levels of entry, 1) there is a free app that runs on your PC and makes shared folders available as a personal cloud, 2) there is a paid app ($30) that is like the free app but with more features, 3) there is TonidoPlug which is a hardware device as described above, and includes option 2. The TonidoPlug itself is $99 plus shipping, and then there is the cost of USB hard drives. I have about $200 tied up in the system and don't regret it.

I started with the free app, and was impressed enough with the possibilities that I decided to go for the hardware solution. Since it also provides NAS capabilities, and reviewing the cost of NASs, I think it turns out to be a bargain.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hee-Hee can't sway the fanbois:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...olas-Xoom.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go to love the intro. "I'm standing in front of the temple to the most amazing religion..."
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
that is great, it really show the mentality of ifanbois.

1. i'm already locked in
2. Everybody loves Apple thats why I want an apple product

too freakin funny
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Go to love the intro. "I'm standing in front of the temple to the most amazing religion..."
So it was a genuine unbiased bit of reporting then?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you deny that Apple is a religion?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
For God's sake, they are a company that make things.
You can make a video about people obsessing about anything.
I bought an iPad because at the time I bought it it was the best option available. If I was buying now maybe the Xoom would be the best option, I haven't looked into it enough to be sure.
There is just as much fanboyism in obsessively hating something than in obsessively loving something.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
For God's sake, they are a company that make things.
You can make a video about people obsessing about anything.
I bought an iPad because at the time I bought it it was the best option available. If I was buying now maybe the Xoom would be the best option, I haven't looked into it enough to be sure.
There is just as much fanboyism in obsessively hating something than in obsessively loving something.
God's sake, eh?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Iomega anounced a NAS "Personal Cloud Edition" at CES. They said it would be released "later this month". That was in January! I signed up for an email when it's released, but no joy yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Whilst searching for "personal cloud" I ran across this.

Bye bye DropBox!
I think Pogo Plug is similar. With a product like this your files are not backed up on redundant servers in multiple locations as with Dropbox. Of course, if you are backing up with Jungle Disk or Crash Plan I guess that's not too much of an issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
So it was a genuine unbiased bit of reporting then?
There was nothing genuine unbiased about the bit--in the fashion of the daily show/Conan--the reporter was there to do nothing more than make fun of the folks who wait in a line for hours just for a product/movie.

I guess he was unbiased he did call the Motarola Xoom the "other religion"

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 03-26-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Xoom vs iPad2 video
Interesting and well done video.. except for 1 part... um... the Microphone on the Xoom is on the bottom only if you hold it that way. The video clearly showed you can invert the machine and the microphone would be on the top.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
kennyc

The think I like least about the Xoom is the speakers on the back. The are muted and would be much better on the sides or bottom or something...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Do you deny that Apple is a religion?
Absolutely.

It's a tech company. A very capable and a very profitable tech company, but in the end, it's nothing more than a tech company.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote