Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
twedigteam
Enthusiast
twedigteam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
ePub Creation Tools: Sigil vs Oxygen

Just wanted to throw a quick poll out there to see if anyone has experience using the Oxygen software, and more specifically, if it is worth the investment ($300+ USD for a commercial license). From what I understand, it does give one the ability to modify some of the internal workings of an ePub (.opf editing, etc) without requiring unzipping and rezipping.

It is a pretty hefty price tag and so far, we're quite content with Sigil, just seeing if anyone else had any input on this one...
twedigteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It must be an amazing software to be worth $300... in other words, I don't think it is.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by twedigteam View Post
Just wanted to throw a quick poll out there to see if anyone has experience using the Oxygen software, and more specifically, if it is worth the investment ($300+ USD for a commercial license). From what I understand, it does give one the ability to modify some of the internal workings of an ePub (.opf editing, etc) without requiring unzipping and rezipping.

It is a pretty hefty price tag and so far, we're quite content with Sigil, just seeing if anyone else had any input on this one...
Hi,

I played around with it. Definitely not worth it unless you are a developer of true xml, understand xml transforms, etc. It is not a true ebook editor. Although xml is technically what the contents of epubs are they are more xhtml which you can think of as a strict subset of html and not general xml as can be supported by this tool. As for "modifying some of the internal files without needing to zip and unzip" that makes no sense. Some software someplace has to open the zip container and read out the file from the zip container and write it back to the zip container and update the main record at the end of the zip container.

Since there are easy ways to unzip a file (double-click or right click), and simple drag and drop tools to rezip things in proper epub format, I am not sure what you are paying for.

I let my trial license expire and removed it from my machine.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course you can also use tweakepub to edit the files in an ePub with your favorite editor without unzip and rezip...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
twedigteam
Enthusiast
twedigteam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Thanks all, sounds like the general sense is that Oxygen is NOT worth it. I do realize it is impossible to edit some internal content with unzip/rezip, but we are trying to simplify our production process as much as possible for some less tech-savvy individuals.

From looking at Oxygen, it looks more specific to XML, which is not what we will be employing, so we'll stick to Sigil (which we are very content using).

I was not aware of tweakepub, does anyone have any resources in this realm?
twedigteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I know someone who uses it. Of course, he was working in xml before he moved over into Epub, so that might be why.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by twedigteam View Post
I was not aware of tweakepub, does anyone have any resources in this realm?
It is quite a nice little tool. It is from the makers of the Atlantis Word processor. You can find a bit more info in this post.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub creator, oxygen, sigil