Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #61
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
A lighted Mini with a slim fitting snap on case would be SO perfect. I sure hope they make one. I love my Mini but really prefer the lighted reader.
Me too!!!

@ paola: "and the light - then I'd buy a Mini for everyone I know"... I've already started (with no light! ), first one daughter, then the other will want one, and then if a Mini Glo becomes available I'll have to replace them all (including mine!)

On the positive side, the cases should all still fit.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #62
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I'll third a frontlit mini with snap on case. That's pretty much what I'm waiting for so I can always keep it in my pocket. Plus I don't mind the smaller screen for using it as my main ereader.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #63
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Yes, please!
Sorry Mate...Will put up pix this week sometime...been in another galaxy until this week. And...back on my mini after a month or so on my Opus. Good luck to all with covers...I got lucky..have an extra Opus slide cover that I use the Mini for. Fits well enough.... will show that too. Unfortunately, Bookeen does not sell those covers....Long live the mini and 5 inch readers....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #64
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Sorry Mate...Will put up pix this week sometime...been in another galaxy until this week. And...back on my mini after a month or so on my Opus. Good luck to all with covers...I got lucky..have an extra Opus slide cover that I use the Mini for. Fits well enough.... will show that too. Unfortunately, Bookeen does not sell those covers....Long live the mini and 5 inch readers....
I'm so curious to see that But no rush, really.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I just bought the Kobo Mini used from eBay. It's supposed to get here on Saturday or Monday. I can't wait until it arrives so I can play with it.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #66
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

I also bought it (physically) today. Sleek device that will come in handy in certain long-distance-travel situations (not very frequent for me).

The feature I like most is the ability to log in to my regular SugarSync account via Kobo Mini's web browser, and download EPUB books directly to Kobo Mini that way, using WiFi. No need to use the USB cable or a different computer to load free books (such that aren't available in Kobo's catalogue). Although Kobo's help file/FAQ do not seem to mention this great, Kobo-site-independent WiFi download option.

What I like least: very inefficient use of the (tiny) screen real estate. There's a HUGE and EMPTY margin at the bottom of the screen at all times as you're reading through a book. Sometimes it gets even higher and emptier than usual, for no reason at all (even when the EPUB is correctly formatted and there is no chapter or section break). I think that on a tiny 5-inch screen, it's imperative to allow users to effectively use all of the screen's real estate. I love how Kobo Mini allows you to reduce page margins on the left and right side all the way down to zero, but they should allow the same thing for top and bottom margins, too.

(By the way, I find the Kobo app on iPad unusable especially because of the ridiculously wide & empty left, right, top & bottom margins it enforces on iPad users. There are very few customization options in the Kobo app on iPad. The software on Kobo Mini is clearly superior over that in the Kobo app for iPad, and it offers lots of delightful customization options -- one of the main reasons why I purchased Kobo Mini.)

Bottom line: I can't imagine using Kobo Mini as my primary reading device (for me, that's Marvin on iPad), but as an e-ink reader, I like it a lot. And, the software available on Kobo Mini is a lot more customizable and versatile than Kindle software; plus, I prefer the EPUB format over MOBI. It's true the font on newest-generation Kindle devices is sharper than on Kobo Mini, but after deciding between Kindle and Kobo, I opted for Kobo Mini due to the smaller form factor (it fits into my regular jacket breast pocket!), and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Last edited by Faterson; 05-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #67
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
What I like least: very inefficient use of the (tiny) screen real estate. There's a HUGE and EMPTY margin at the bottom of the screen at all times as you're reading through a book. Sometimes it gets even higher and emptier than usual, for no reason at all (even when the EPUB is correctly formatted and there is no chapter or section break). I think that on a tiny 5-inch screen, it's imperative to allow users to effectively use all of the screen's real estate. I love how Kobo Mini allows you to reduce page margins on the left and right side all the way down to zero, but they should allow the same thing for top and bottom margins, too.
Workaround: Read sideloaded epubs, use Calibre to fix your widows and orphans settings and set your top and bottom margins to nothing or next-to-nothing; and above all, don't download 2.5.2.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #68
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Meera....has it right...I side load the epub use...calibre beforehand to get the margins to zero...and from what I hear...do not get the latest software update.....I am on 2.4.... works fine....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #69
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
There is nothing to fix in my EPUBs (at least those I tried). They are hand-crafted by me, from w3c.org-validated HTML files. All the paragraphs have zero margins, there are no widows, orphans and such. And, it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me, anyway. I buy e-reader devices for reading books on them, not to struggle with manually fixing the book files before reading them.

I have no idea what 2.4, 2.5.2, etc., are. If you mean some internal Kobo Mini software, I have no clue -- after bringing Kobo Mini home from the store yesterday, unpacking it & running it for the first time, it offered to update its internal software via WiFi, which is what I did. I never connected it to my computer via the USB cable, because it just wasn't necessary (and that's great!). I side-loaded my EPUBs by downloading them from my SugarSync account, as mentioned. I could access the Dropbox (etc.) website in the same way directly on Kobo Mini. I love that feature!

This, I mean the inefficient use of screen real-estate, is obviously a well-known bug of Kobo readers. I had known about it before buying Kobo Mini, because I had read quite a few expert/lengthy reviews complaining about this particular flaw. Even so, the benefits of the delightful form factor outweigh the nuisance that is that huge, empty (and even inconstant in height) bottom margin, so I went ahead and bought Kobo Mini. By the way, one customization feature I'm missing on Kobo Mini is the ability to adjust paragraph spacing in addition to line spacing.

In a primary e-reader of mine, a flaw like this (huge, empty botom margins) would be unacceptable, but because I'll only be using Kobo Mini occasionally (for long-distance travel, when running out of iPad/iPhone juice will be a constant threat), I can live with the flaw. Most of all, it's a software flaw on the part of Kobo Mini, so I hope it can perhaps be rectified in future by the makers of Kobo Mini, without me having to buy a new device to see the improvement.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #70
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
There is nothing to fix in my EPUBs (at least those I tried). They are hand-crafted by me, from w3c.org-validated HTML files. All the paragraphs have zero margins, there are no widows, orphans and such. And, it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me, anyway. I buy e-reader devices for reading books on them, not to struggle with manually fixing the book files before reading them.

I have no idea what 2.4, 2.5.2, etc., are. If you mean some internal Kobo Mini software, I have no clue -- after bringing Kobo Mini home from the store yesterday, unpacking it & running it for the first time, it offered to update its internal software via WiFi, which is what I did. I never connected it to my computer via the USB cable, because it just wasn't necessary (and that's great!). I side-loaded my EPUBs by downloading them from my SugarSync account, as mentioned. I could access the Dropbox (etc.) website in the same way directly on Kobo Mini. I love that feature!

This, I mean the inefficient use of screen real-estate, is obviously a well-known bug of Kobo readers. I had known about it before buying Kobo Mini, because I had read quite a few expert/lengthy reviews complaining about this particular flaw. Even so, the benefits of the delightful form factor outweigh the nuisance that is that huge, empty (and even inconstant in height) bottom margin, so I went ahead and bought Kobo Mini. By the way, one customization feature I'm missing on Kobo Mini is the ability to adjust paragraph spacing in addition to line spacing.

In a primary e-reader of mine, a flaw like this (huge, empty botom margins) would be unacceptable, but because I'll only be using Kobo Mini occasionally (for long-distance travel, when running out of iPad/iPhone juice will be a constant threat), I can live with the flaw. Most of all, it's a software flaw on the part of Kobo Mini, so I hope it can perhaps be rectified in future by the makers of Kobo Mini, without me having to buy a new device to see the improvement.
Well, it's up to you. Kobo will impose its own waste-of-space formatting unless you set the formatting otherwise, in which case it will respect that. So you can decrease the line spacing, get rid of the paragraph spacing, reduce your bottom margin to zero (apart from the bar), all by setting up conversion settings in Calibre (this is a do-once affair), then running each book through an epub-epub conversion. I'm sure you could do it manually, if you prefer, but most of us don't

Calibre > Preference > Conversion > Common Options is the place to go. In Look & Feel, you can set your line height to your choice - I have mine on 110%. You can tick Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs, you can set you preferred Paragraph Indent and justification, you can filter out whatever style info floats your boat (not an issue for your handcrafted epubs), and you can add this in Extra CSS to deep-six Kobo's widows & orphans settings which give you those intermittent giant bottom margins:

p, body {
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
}

Go out of Look & Feel and into Page Setup, and there you can set your margins.

And yep, I was talking firmware - if you poke around the Kobo forums, there are lots of discussions of this issue there. 2.5.1 and previous versions didn't have the top title header in sideloaded epubs; 2.5.2 foisted that on us. Downgrading to 2.5.1 would get rid of it for you.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #71
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Is this normal with a Mini--I took the Mini out of the official case to use. When I was done I used the slider to put it to sleep when I set it down. Later when I picked it up, it turned on all by itself!

I went in to settings and disabled the sleep cover mode, and now it doesn't turn on when I pick it up. But that seems very strange that it would do so. I am not wearing anything magnetic on my hands.

So why would it do that? And how would that affect battery life, it could be in my bag and turning on and off all the time?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #72
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Is this normal with a Mini--I took the Mini out of the official case to use. When I was done I used the slider to put it to sleep when I set it down. Later when I picked it up, it turned on all by itself!

I went in to settings and disabled the sleep cover mode, and now it doesn't turn on when I pick it up. But that seems very strange that it would do so. I am not wearing anything magnetic on my hands.

So why would it do that? And how would that affect battery life, it could be in my bag and turning on and off all the time?
This has happened to me with the Aura, in a non-magnetic cover, so I am baffled too.

On a side note, I just received my Kobo Mini which I like much, much better than my Aura. I like the size of course, but also the menu which I find super confusing on the Aura. Weird, I know, but now I am thinking that I should have bought the Glo instead of the Aura..

Anyway, I did the same as hidari and went looking for my old opus sleeve which is for the time being doing a good job at protecting my mini. I'd love the kobo official cover, but for some obscure reason, although you can buy the kobo mini in Spain, you can't buy any kobo accessories. . I'll have to find a way to order from WHSmith and have it transported over here (but I'll have a friend do this, a carrier would be much too expensive for just a cover).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post

On a side note, I just received my Kobo Mini which I like much, much better than my Aura. I like the size of course, but also the menu which I find super confusing on the Aura. Weird, I know, but now I am thinking that I should have bought the Glo instead of the Aura..

I'd love the kobo official cover, .
I just ordered one of these from Amazon (in black), maybe you can get it in Spain. It comes from China, I think. I don't really like the official cover, if it had the attached strap I might like it better. The case I ordered supposedly has a magnetic closure, so that should satisfy me. The official case is just too wiggly, and any movement will wake it up, which will drag the battery down.

I did buy the Glo instead of the Aura, and I am glad I did. I'd like a 6" with the Aura's HD and a smooth back,

Last edited by booklover6; 05-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you don't insert widows: 0; and orphans: 0; in the css stylesheet, the default is set to 2 or 3(*). Setting both to 3, if a paragraph has 4 lines, all 4 lines must be kept together. So if the paragraph falls at the bottom of the screen, rather than displaying 3 lines on one screen and 1 line on the next screen, you will get 3 lines worth of blank space and the paragraph on the next page.

I use Sigil to clean up the formatting in most of the books I read. Calibre is capable of doing many of the cleanup tasks automatically as well.

(*) The 2 or 3 for the default value seems to vary depending on which source you check.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #75
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I just ordered one of these from Amazon (in black), maybe you can get it in Spain. It comes from China, I think. I don't really like the official cover, if it had the attached strap I might like it better. The case I ordered supposedly has a magnetic closure, so that should satisfy me. The official case is just too wiggly, and any movement will wake it up, which will drag the battery down.

I did buy the Glo instead of the Aura, and I am glad I did. I'd like a 6" with the Aura's HD and a smooth back,
Thanks for the link, but I think I'll try to find a way to get the Kobo pink cover, which has a strap (I love the straps too).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote