Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #31
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
It was interesting that when I was asked to sign in to the H20 there was no option to do so using my PC. It was strictly over wi-fi. Not a big deal to me, but just a heads up.
That's disappointing. Thanks for mentioning it.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It was interesting that when I was asked to sign in to the H20 there was no option to do so using my PC. It was strictly over wi-fi. Not a big deal to me, but just a heads up.
Does the sqlite technique in this thread work?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215885
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd be really tempted to get one since it's infrared and not capacitive touch, if it wasn't for the larger size. I love the size of the Glo and really don't want anything bigger than that since I carry mine around with me constantly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #34
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:

I haven't really done anything with it yet, but damn, it feels so much nicer in my hands than the HD.
That's odd. I got the option 'I don't have a WiFi network'. I don't know what would have happened after that, as I used wireless, but the option was there.

And I agree, it's nicer than the HD.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
That's odd. I got the option 'I don't have a WiFi network'. I don't know what would have happened after that, as I used wireless, but the option was there.

And I agree, it's nicer than the HD.
I got that option as well. Since I was at work when I set up my H2O, I didn't want to connect it to Wi-Fi. So I used the option and was able to activate my H2O by connecting it to my laptop via USB and syncing it with Kobo Desktop. Easy peasy.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #36
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that I didn't have another option, however, I do reserve the right to be wrong. It did seem very weird at the time as it's always been an option in the past.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I set mine up over the PC without any sort of problem. I understand why the ports are behind that cover, but I'm thinking that I will not want to play with it (much like I avoid using the same sort of cover on my camera) unnecessarily. That will mean, for me, not attaching the device to the computer until it needs charging and using WiFi and Calibre Companion more than I did in the past. I have never used Calibre Companion on anything but my phone, so I am hoping it is possible to sideload using it with the h20 over WiFI.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #38
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I really like the more subdued logo on the bezel, which is just a texture change. I received a perfect device with no pinpricks or shadows. The bigger size will take getting used to, and the front bezel does attract fingerprints. The texture of the back is nice, I'm happy they made that change from the HD. I installed via the cable, upgraded manually to 3.8.0 and installed the patches and custom fonts. I added one book manually but will wait for the Calibre update before putting on more because I want them in Collections to mirror my tags. I like the smooth feel of the bottom of the device now that the USB port is covered. I'll take it in the hot tub this weekend!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #39
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I haven't bought it YET, but I'm getting really eager to get one after attempting to sell the HD first.

The sleep cover alone seems to be a huge improvement over the HD's, and between that and the shape of the back....
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #40
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have never used Calibre Companion on anything but my phone, so I am hoping it is possible to sideload using it with the h20 over WiFI.
As far as I know, the h2o is not an android device and it is impossible to use cc on it. As an alternative, you could use the browser on the h2o to connect to calibre or to a catalog build by calibre.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
That will mean, for me, not attaching the device to the computer until it needs charging and using WiFi and Calibre Companion more than I did in the past.
V; calibre companion is for Android, not for the Kobo eReader series....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #42
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
V; calibre companion is for Android, not for the Kobo eReader series....
Yeah, I knew that was true initially, thought maybe it had changed. I can always use the Calibre Server. Then again, I may not have anything to worry about with the protective cover. I tend to worry about weird things initially.

There is much to like about this device--and I had (and loved) the Aura HD. The space between the screen and bezel seems designed to catch less in the way of crumbs and dust. Line length should be a bit longer because the side bezels are a bit narrower. I like the power/sleep button better than the one on the Aura HD which was so flat against the top that I had trouble finding it in the dark. The back is nice and grippy and less oddly shaped than the HD. It's a bit taller than the HD, but balances nicely in my small hands. The screen is noticeably better on the h2o.

I have used several different cords with it. The only one that did not seem to work was one that had a thick surround so it didn't easily fit in the recessed space provided. Page turns are noticeably faster. Lots of fingerprints on the front, but as someone mentioned, that problem should be short lived as whatever is on the plastic that attracts prints goes away over the next few weeks.

The firmware is the firmware. What can I say other than I know that the beta firmware is much improved, in particular with annotations. I hope that I will have this device registered with the beta group tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite

H20
179 x 129 x 9.7 mm
Weight 233 g

HD
175.7 x 128.3 x 11.7 mm
Weight 240 g (8.4658 oz)

Just thought someone might like a size comparison. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to the different size. Oddly enough, the fact that the h20 is thinner (not by much) was what was most noticeable to me. Once it is in the cover, I doubt it will matter.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #44
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
The H2O is very interesting. But, is it true that the settings for the page refresh only allow every 6 pages at the most? So... is it a Carta dispay without the REGAL technique? (My Tolino Vision, wich also uses Carta, has every 60 (!) pages as default).
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The H20 is currently using ver. 3.7.0 of the software, a version designed for a variety of devices that do not use the Carta screen. We have seen that Kobo can have some differences among devices running the same version number. It remains to be seen if the refresh is different for the H20.

Tags
h2o