Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #166
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I received the following reply from Kobo Support to my question, "Will I be able to download an Android Kindle app in order to read Kindle (AZW) formatted books from Amazon?"

Quote:
Hi There,

Thank you for contacting Kobo we sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your email.
Please note, Amazon devices cannot be used with kobos devices its locked to Amazon network only.

Kobo Vox supports the following file formats:

For eBooks: EPUB, Fixed Layout EPUB, SMIL (multimedia EPUB) (.epub)
Text files (.txt)

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
This appears to contradict an earlier statement by their CEO so I am somewhat doubtful as to it's veracity but I am going to hold off for now until I know for sure.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #167
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Good e-Reader has posted a lengthy and enthusiastic hands-on review of the Kobo Vox that should answer many questions:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...full-hands-on/
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #168
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I received the following reply from Kobo Support to my question, "Will I be able to download an Android Kindle app in order to read Kindle (AZW) formatted books from Amazon?"

This appears to contradict an earlier statement by their CEO so I am somewhat doubtful as to it's veracity but I am going to hold off for now until I know for sure.
that sounds like they misunderstood the question as they talk about kobo vs kindle "device" rather than "app". It's very possible (and quite likely) that they have very little knowledge of the Vox.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #169
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Good e-Reader has posted a lengthy and enthusiastic hands-on review of the Kobo Vox that should answer many questions:

Very good review and reinforces expectations of the device. I did take a bit of an exception to the fact that they were stereotyping, implying that mothers only would love the device to use with their children. As a father of a two year old, I love reading to my daughter and cherish the time we spend doing it; t's one of those rare times you can get a toddler to sit quietly for more than a minute
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #170
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
moolyn beat me to it, but what a wonderful thing to read in the morning! :-D

Yeah, sounds like that Kobo rep misunderstood. You can download a Kindle app and then read the books, just like on any other tablet/computer.

Gah, I'm so excited! I know I'm just happy about the review and wanting to forget the mishap with Lenovo. I spent the other night trying to explain to my fiance about Kobo, which he kept getting confused with Coby: "But their cassettes always crapped out too soon!"
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #171
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post

Thank you for linking to that review. The new Pulse feature is much more intriguing than I had originally thought, and I'm surprised yet glad that the GUI, or at least the launcher, is clearly Gingerbread, instead of being heavily obscured like the Nook Color. (If the tablet really is that 'open', would it be possible to install an alternative launcher then?... just for experimenting.) I guess that also means any interested hacker could eventually detail a method for enabling Android Market access on the Vox.

Bah, I kinda wish I waited for this Vox instead of getting a NC, but I know now at least from using a 7" tablet that I'd much rather a 10". Still, the Vox looks very nice.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #172
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Thank you for linking to that review. The new Pulse feature is much more intriguing than I had originally thought, and I'm surprised yet glad that the GUI, or at least the launcher, is clearly Gingerbread, instead of being heavily obscured like the Nook Color. (If the tablet really is that 'open', would it be possible to install an alternative launcher then?... just for experimenting.) I guess that also means any interested hacker could eventually detail a method for enabling Android Market access on the Vox.

Bah, I kinda wish I waited for this Vox instead of getting a NC, but I know now at least from using a 7" tablet that I'd much rather a 10". Still, the Vox looks very nice.

I think for books, 7" is great; I picked up a 10" for the wife's christmas gift(asus eee Pad), and like the iPad I had tested for work a couple years ago, it just gets a bit to heavy holding it one handed for extended periods of time. But lying flat on your lap or on a table, it does fine.

Personally, I think 6"-8" are good for books, both in terms of screen size and weight, but if you want to do newspapers/PDF's, you're better off with 10"+. Our 10 year old is going to flip for the Vox because she's started getting into graphic novels and I think it'll work fantastic for it.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #173
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Any one else?

Hi I am new to android. Does anyone have any insight on whether we would be able to use amazon app store?

Also when I go onto GetJar, and choose my device as a Kobo Vox, there is no Kindle app available to download. Does that mean we wont be able to use other reading apps?
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #174
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
That would just be getjar's settup i'd assume

Being the Vox is unlocked android. there's really no need to worry. change it to a different 'model' and instal the kindle app. or Sideload it, or instal another ap store.

there's no real limit!
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #175
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
That would just be getjar's settup i'd assume

Being the Vox is unlocked android. there's really no need to worry. change it to a different 'model' and instal the kindle app. or Sideload it, or instal another ap store.

there's no real limit!
Thanks for the insight!
Is sideloading difficult to do? I've found this article: http://pocketnow.com/how-to/how-to-i...-android-phone
Is that how you do it? Is there anything I need to be wary of?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #176
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can download the kindle app or any other reading app from any store you wish.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #177
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie

Called Chapters

So...
I called my local Chapters, and they said that will not have any Vox to sell, for tomorrow. The employee said that now, they were not going to be released until Nov 4th.

Anyone else getting the same information?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #178
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I read the review and made a decision - placed my order - jet black!
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #179
Psyke
Evangelist

Rideau Center's Chapters in Ottawa are expecting them in tomorrow, both demo and sales units.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #180
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie

Kingston, says that they MAY have some. She was pretty shifty LOL, and wouldn't tell me if they actually had any in their stock room right now.