Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
DaleyKlippings
DaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmos

Device: KTouch
Kindle Clippings to Evernote (SOLVED)

Hopefully, you will find this post early in your search for a Kindle to Evernotes converter. I did a ton of searching and found various posts that discussed options:
  • A good place start check is MobileRead's Wiki for you particular device (links on the K5 page)
  • This guy's post also lists many of the options (even though he's complaining about them).
  • This post also lists several of the options along side his project.

I went through the process and tried out a bunch of options. Specifically, I was a Windows user that wanted each note from the Kindle as a separate note in Evernote. I didn't have much luck with the programs that were already out there.

However, I did find a program online (Klippings, not to be confused with Klippings Kollector) that did almost everything I needed but had tons of bugs and needed some extra features. Fortunately, the code was open source so I was able to make some singificant upgrades and have packaged it into a Windows installer and Windows portable version (Linux not yet available, OSX for some versions thanks to thearr).

I have put up a basic Wordpress site so you can read more and download the program:

http://daleyklippings.claytondaley.com/

Last edited by DaleyKlippings; 12-22-2012 at 07:55 PM.
DaleyKlippings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd314159 View Post
I have put up a basic Wordpress site so you can read more and download the program:
http://daleyklippings.claytondaley.com/
Thanks

I think it deserves a dedicated thread
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Thanks

I think it deserves a dedicated thread
I thought this was already a dedicated thread?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I tried your program and was able to successfully import and export the file/ However I am not able to open it in Evernote. Should I be doing something special to get it to open in Evernote. I exported the file, downloaded it to my Fire HD using Dropbox and the Export to Evernote option.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I thought this was already a dedicated thread?
well, sort of...

However title of the the thread does not imply that these thread presents a new application and expects discussions feedbacks about it.

Last edited by thomass; 12-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
well, sort of...

However title of the the thread does not imply that these thread presents a new application and expects discussions about it.
Haha, then he should repost in developer forum. Hacking existing code is still developing ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
DaleyKlippings
DaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmosDaleyKlippings has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I tried your program and was able to successfully import and export the file/ However I am not able to open it in Evernote. Should I be doing something special to get it to open in Evernote. I exported the file, downloaded it to my Fire HD using Dropbox and the Export to Evernote option.
The desktop version of Evernote (in Windows at least) has an "import" option (File, Import, Evernote Export files...) that supports ENEX format. Have you found this option and selected the ENEX file generated by DaleyKlippings
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
The desktop version of Evernote (in Windows at least) has an "import" option (File, Import, Evernote Export files...) that supports ENEX format. Have you found this option and selected the ENEX file generated by DaleyKlippings
Yes I found it, thank you.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
I get the following error when importing like this:

Could not import notes, error: UNEXPECTED_CHAR (Errror in line 10271,token ''' <' -- "A"")

any idea what's causing that? Thanks
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
DaleyKlippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I get the following error when importing like this:

Could not import notes, error: UNEXPECTED_CHAR (Errror in line 10271,token ''' <' -- "A"")

any idea what's causing that? Thanks
Unfortunately, I've not seen that before. Since the error is actually generated by Evernote, I also can't check their code to get a lead on the problem.

My best guess is that one of the clippings from your kindle includes a character that's messing up the formatting of the ENEX (basically XML) file. If you're using the most recent version (1.0 for Win or 0.7 for Mac), I replace most of the problem characters (including < and >) to prevent an issue like this. However, there may be others (the double brace ]] comes to mind) that I don't catch.

The fastest way to figure out is probably to partition test your My Clippings file... basically break the list in half, figure out which half causes the error... then break the problem half in half again (quarters of the original) and see which half has the problem. If you repeat this a couple times, you'll narrow the issue down to a handful of entries (or eventually one entry) and can look at their formatting and composition to see if they include anything suspicious (like the double braces).

If you don't mind sharing your clippings file with me, I'd be happy to do the testing, figue out which Clipping is generating the issue, and update my code to handle the situation better. Probably the best way to get me your info (email address) is to submit the contact form on the DaleyKlippings site:

http://daleyklippings.claytondaley.com/contact-us/

Tags
clippings, export, kindle, myclippings, notes