Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #46
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Finished it yesterday afternoon, and I recommend it without reservation. It's a terrific read -- long, yes, but this reader had no feeling of bloat. And I don't regret a penny of the 16.99.
Ditto here, too!

This was a very good read, well worth the time and the cost of the ebook.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #47
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am about 10% in, and I must be the lone dissenter here that just isn't grabbed I think I am too young for this book and just don't know enough about the time period. It seemed weird to me that out of all the thoughts he could have after learning about the time portal, the very first one was 'I could go back and prevent the JFK assassination.' I think it's an interesting concept, but I think I don't know enough about that time to really appreciate this book.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #48
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I was toying with the idea of getting it but spent my money on a Kindle Touch. Now that they dropped the price to 14.99 I might as well give it a try anyway. Until I saw how this thread stopped abruptly a week ago. Now I'm wondering if that means the book turned out to be a big letdown halfway through. Does anyone still recommend it?
I only let the thread die to wait for some people to finish. I fnished it around two weeks ago. It's my favorite book of the year, and I would rank it up with The Drawing of the Three as my favorite King read, so far. Highest recommendation!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #49
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am about 10% in, and I must be the lone dissenter here that just isn't grabbed I think I am too young for this book and just don't know enough about the time period. It seemed weird to me that out of all the thoughts he could have after learning about the time portal, the very first one was 'I could go back and prevent the JFK assassination.' I think it's an interesting concept, but I think I don't know enough about that time to really appreciate this book.
I'm only 32 and I didn't feel that way. Where are you in the book?
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #50
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I finished it, and I thought it was great; best he's done since It, in my opinion. And I've been pretty critical of a lot of his recent work. He even nailed the ending, as far as I was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
It seemed weird to me that out of all the thoughts he could have after learning about the time portal, the very first one was 'I could go back and prevent the JFK assassination.'
Possibly spoilerish, but from the 1st 10% of the book:
Spoiler:
As I remember, the first thought that the guy (Al) who discovered the portal had was "Gee, I can get really cheap hamburger meat here to sell in my restaurant"! The concept of the assassination as a historical "watershed moment" (the title of the fist section of the novel) didn't occur to him until later. He believed that stopping the assassination would also prevent the Vietnam war, saving a lot of lives. Then he passed these ideas on to the novel's protagonist, who was very skeptical at first.

But, hey, if the book doesn't grab you, move on to something that does. Different strokes for different folks.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #51
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Finished it yesterday afternoon, and I recommend it without reservation. It's a terrific read -- long, yes, but this reader had no feeling of bloat. And I don't regret a penny of the 16.99.
Agree, I really enjoyed 11/22/63. and I thought Under the Dome and Duma Key were just okay. 11/22/63 is
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #52
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The pretext of this book fascinated me from the start. The assassination of President Kennedy changed my life. It arguably led directly to the disastrous war in Vietnam since Kennedy was dubious about expanding US involvement beyond sending military assistance and advisors.

My problem is I only have enough money to buy one book right now so it looks like this will be it. Thanks everyone for your insights.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #53
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can't remember when I read my last King, but it's been ages.
When I heard about this book, I thought it was a good time to try another King and I have no regrets so far.
I'm only a 100 pages in, but love it so far.
It makes me wanna read other Kings I haven't read yet.
I recommed it!!!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #54
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Finished yesterday. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, and this was a pretty good one. I liked
Spoiler:
the "reset" factor and I'm fine with the vague explanation of the time travel mechanism, but I would have really liked to learn more about the yellow/black/green card men.
Would definitely recommend.
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #55
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering View Post
Finished yesterday. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, and this was a pretty good one. I liked
Spoiler:
the "reset" factor and I'm fine with the vague explanation of the time travel mechanism, but I would have really liked to learn more about the yellow/black/green card men.
Would definitely recommend.
I, too, am a sucker for time travel. I would so love to be able to do it, after all. I am a fan of The Stand, It, and the "Dark Tower" books I have read thus far (have the last three to go). I also loved "Full Dark" (King is at his best with the novella). That being said, I was dissapointed with Under the Dome and couldn't finish it. Also, this is a long book, saving Kennedy is almost as much a time travel cliche as killing Hitler, and the price is high, so I was a little hesitant but the good reviews have swayed me and tomorrow is payday.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 12-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. He seemed to not want it all to come to an end. I mean, he didn't exactly Clear the Shire and shuffle everyone off to the Grey Havens, but he came close. Still... I'd recommend it. To anyone who knows exactly what Monkey Ward is—without a second's hesitation. I enjoyed it a lot more than Under the Dome (and I actually really loved the first half of that book).

I enjoyed all the blasts from the past, though. Especially the bit about kids selling Grit for cash and prizes. I'd almost forgotten about that. I think my parents let me fall for that scam when I was younger.

There's authors I like better and there's authors I think are much better writers, but there's nobody that can write 800+ page novels that read faster than King seems to. That never ceases to amaze me.
(and of course I enjoy spotting the tie-ins to his other works)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #57
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. He seemed to not want it all to come to an end. I mean, he didn't exactly Clear the Shire and shuffle everyone off to the Grey Havens, but he came close. Still... I'd recommend it. To anyone who knows exactly what Monkey Ward is—without a second's hesitation. I enjoyed it a lot more than Under the Dome (and I actually really loved the first half of that book).

I enjoyed all the blasts from the past, though. Especially the bit about kids selling Grit for cash and prizes. I'd almost forgotten about that. I think my parents let me fall for that scam when I was younger.

There's authors I like better and there's authors I think are much better writers, but there's nobody that can write 800+ page novels that read faster than King seems to. That never ceases to amaze me.
(and of course I enjoy spotting the tie-ins to his other works)
You're right, Diap. When he is on, the pages fly by. He knows how people "work." That is what makes him so readable. I forget which writer (it may have been King, I don't know) said that speculative fiction is about ordinary people in extraordinary situations and literary fiction is about extraordinary people in ordinary situations and the former is more interesting (I'm heavily paraphrasing what I can barely remember here). Anyway, I'm more a fan of the former to be sure.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #58
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm on Chapter 6 now and am enjoying what I'm reading so far.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #59
covingtoncat73
Wizard

I only have about 100 pages left. Wow. Definitely one of King's best, IMHO. Right up there with The Stand and It, though a different kind of book from those, really. I'm finishing it in 8 days which is good for me with a long book these days.

The pages have flown by and I find myself anxious to get back to the book! Yay for eReaders because they do make it easier to read on the fly and I will feel no guilt at all for finishing this read at work today. It is a slow Friday, after all.

*****************EDIT*******************

I just finished. Wow! I probably shouldn't spoil so just let me say that the ending is a corker. This book was definitely the most readable, engrossing thing I've read in awhile. I even enjoyed reading the afterword/author's notes very much.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 12-09-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #60
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I checked yesterday on Amazon and Kings books are now available to me.

At last. Will be spending some money it seems.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote