Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Color Comes to E Ink Screens

Title of Thread is the title of article at NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/te...gy/08ink.html?
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Ooh, shiny Thanks for the link!
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The first thing I want to know about EInk color is whether or not it makes black contrast lower. I am rather afraid that it will. So to get color we may have to live with worse text (perhaps back to Vizpex clarity vs Pearl clarity).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The first thing I want to know about EInk color is whether or not it makes black contrast lower. I am rather afraid that it will. So to get color we may have to live with worse text (perhaps back to Vizpex clarity vs Pearl clarity).
Yes, color EPDs will have inferior optical characteristics when compared to the monochrome versions.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That's going to push the bar for the other manufacturers, even if the image isn't as sharp as that with the current Pearl screen. I think the pressure is going to be on the Kindle to go the next gen to color e-ink as soon as possible. The Nook just made its move. Sony isn't going to go the color route, if they're not bothering with WiFi. Kobo is still working out its kinks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I worry about the contrast as well...last thing that I think anyone would want to see are washed out dull screen colors.

I guess depends on the tech for the given panel. Most significantly if they use a true black in the color's used. A true white matters as well. But like you say a black produced only via color "mixing" will likely be a poor result, but I feel if it uses a true black to augment the likely needed mixed black needed to fill in the whole cell/pixel then it likely would be fine and nothing our eyes would differentiate.

Still, it's all new and we'll see...but this a nice move forward...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the article "To create the color image, E Ink uses its standard black-and-white display overlaid with a color filter."

Seems like a nice product, if it is as fast as normal screens I would not mind buying one, even at a 400$ price
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Personally I read on a ebook reader. The only use I could see for this is to improve on the images and charts. But if the text is not going to be as good as my Kindle 3 screen then I say no thanks.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It would be good for comics and magazines if the screen was big enough. Otherwise I don't really see the point.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I was going to post this too. Here is another article.

http://m.syfy.com/inf/infomo?site=sy...feed:i=3.76773
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
It would be good for comics and magazines if the screen was big enough. Otherwise I don't really see the point.
Rather dismissive to overlook reference and other non-fiction books which require color? The reader announce is an ~10" reader which, while not ideal for those books, it's a huge leap over a 6" panel. We need 11"-12" panels to really make it reasonable and w/o scaling or layout issues.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Can't wait to see this tech in netbook screens and phones.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Now add a touchscreen, and I'm sold.
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I was going to post this too. Here is another article.

http://m.syfy.com/inf/infomo?site=sy...feed:i=3.76773
Quote:
Can color E Ink resuscitate e-readers?
is the title above the pic. I didn't know e-readers were dying!

If the color looks as good as in the picture I think that looks pretty good!
To me muted color is better than no color at all, unless it degrades the contrast in black & white.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I love the 10" screen size! Hopefully we can see some actual video of it working after it's presented at the FPD trade show! And get more specs!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote