Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Why is it asking for my password?

Everytime I start up Calibre is asking for admin-level privileges, and asking for my password. I'm not sure why it needs admin privileges, so I always click cancel and it works fine. Does anyone know why it is doing this?

thanks!

edit: I should probably add I'm running it on OS X
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read the note below the OS X download page of calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
sigma8
Zealot

Thanks for the response. I see the note now. Where can I find information on what the command line tools are/are doing? I'm able to sync things just fine using Calibre, but I've been clicking "cancel" for a pretty long time..

Are the command line utils being used for sync'ing/retrieving? Does this mean I'm likely running out-of-date versions?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The command line tools are not necessary, they're there for people taht like using the command line
Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
sigma8
Zealot

ahh, gotcha. I found the manpage documenting the commands themselves, and looked through the preferences, but I can't find anything that would indicate a way to have it stop asking me for my password on startup.. Is there a way to permanently say "no command line tools, please"?

thanks again for the help!
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just accept it once, it will create the links and never ask for it again (unless you move the .app to a new location)