Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Is there going to be a NaNoWriMo event in July? Then I'll check the site... I've still got some idea's bouncing in my head, and half a plot and other stuff, but I'm... uh... too lazy to actually write it down because there's always something else I must or want to do :X

Maybe if I have some motivation to actually write the story instead of just thinking about it, I could even get it done, sometime.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #62
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there going to be a NaNoWriMo event in July? Then I'll check the site... I've still got some idea's bouncing in my head, and half a plot and other stuff, but I'm... uh... too lazy to actually write it down because there's always something else I must or want to do :X

Maybe if I have some motivation to actually write the story instead of just thinking about it, I could even get it done, sometime.
Yep, Camp NaNoWriMo. I believe there are two events in the summer now days. In April and July. http://www.campnanowrimo.org
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #63
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I guess I'm in the minority. I'm not uplifted or inspired by a story of people churning out books to make a quick buck.
"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."-- Dr. Sam Johnson

The books "churned out" in quantity seem to be short erotica serials, not full-length novels or novellas. I've purchased the full-length novel _Falling into You--it's only 99 cents and my romance-reading pals seem to like it--and will be making my own evaluation as to the quality.

Honestly, as someone who writes short things I'm always inspired by someone selling them successfully. Although I am not sure I have the right sense of humor for erotica.

Last edited by Joykins; 06-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #64
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep, Camp NaNoWriMo. I believe there are two events in the summer now days. In April and July. http://www.campnanowrimo.org
Huh... what's the difference with http://www.nanowrimo.org/ ?

Just two other months, where NaNoWriMo is always november?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Huh... what's the difference with http://www.nanowrimo.org/ ?

Just two other months, where NaNoWriMo is always november?
NaNoWriMo.org is set up as the original site for NaNo and CampNaNo is set up for if someone doesn't want to wait for Nov. to come round and wants to do a session or two of NaNo during the spring & summer months.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #66
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."-- Dr. Sam Johnson
If he's looking down on us, and noticing my post count, I suppose he considers yours truly just one more blockhead

P.S. I think that outstanding books are usually written in hopes of getting money, but not only for that.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #67
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
I'm not uplifted or inspired by a story of people churning out books to make a quick buck.
The French (?) saying 'there is somebody for everybody' must apply for the authors/books also. Steamy stories is one sure topic that sells, but I think it takes some skill to keep people coming back for more. Apparently the authors are able to offer pleasurable pastime for lots of people.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If he's looking down on us, and noticing my post count, I suppose he considers yours truly just one more blockhead
1200 posts in 5 years doesn't put you in the "prolific posters" category. That's less than 1 post per day .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #69
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

P.S. I think that outstanding books are usually written in hopes of getting money, but not only for that.
When Dr. Johnson said, "No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money," I think he was underscoring the idea that a writer is a craftsperson and therefore should be modest. Johnson might not have respected recreational writers, but he had a singular contempt for bad ones.

We now live in a time in which publishing is so inexpensive that no one needs to be humble. For most of us, the only remaining rejection letter is public indifference.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-02-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
You are so far off it is not funny. Yes, they do write books in the area that you suggested, but also plain romance novels as well. Your mistake is to throw your thoughts and morals around on to others that you do not know and have no insight into their motivations. Could it be that those who read the books just happen to like the books? As to my motivations. I enjoy books where people, who are not represented fairly by society in my opinion, are the protagonist of a novel. I am far from "isolated" as you say being a father of 5 and a grandfather of 11. There is no chance for isolation. I own my own home, and have two fairly substantial income streams, so I am far from being in a tight situation monetarily.

What I am trying to convey here is that making generalizations about a situation based on some pre-conceived notions does not too often result in an accurate interpretation of that situation.
So mike is 0 for 2. I'm going to generalize and guess another brick is on the way.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #71
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far I'm enjoying the Jasinda Wilder book I've bought
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #72
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
I enjoyed the ones I have as well!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #73
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I enjoyed the ones I have as well!
You are enjoying your books and the Wilders are able to continue paying their mortgage due to you and others buying their books.

That's a win for everyone! Happy reading folks!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #74
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
The question I was trying to answer was whether there's anything wrong with being prolific. To me the number of these books sold tells me more about the audience than anything else.
You know how you get good at writing books? By writing a lot of books!

You know who was really prolific? Eleanor Hibbert (you may know her better as Victoria Holt or Jean Plaidy or several other pen names). And she wrote some very entertaining and educational books!

By the way, the Jasinda Wilder book I read was very good. I shall be getting the, hm, "parallel companion" book (seems to be Becca's story).
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #75
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
You are enjoying your books and the Wilders are able to continue paying their mortgage due to you and others buying their books.

That's a win for everyone! Happy reading folks!
Exactly!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote