Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Welcome to the New MobileRead Bookclub

Welcome everyone. This is the new iteration of the MobileRead Bookclub.

This is where we read books of different genres. We are going to do this monthly.

If anyone has anything to add or wants changed or has any ideas, feel free to say so.

For 20201, I am thinking of...
May: ScienceFiction
June: Mystery
July: Free-for-All
August: Classics
September: Non-FIction
October: Horror
November: History
December: Thriller, Suspense & Crime

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-07-2021 at 08:11 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:01 AM   #2
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Where is Horror?
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Where is Horror?
See the new list. It's now October.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This was from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F
This is the list from the MRBC.

January: Second Chance
February: Mystery
March: Patricia Clarke Memorial Library
April: Award Winners (Fiction)
May: Science Fiction
June: Science
July: Free-For-All
August: Thriller, Suspense & Crime
September: Classics
October: Humor
December: Fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
This is what I propose for the rest of the year.

May: Science Fiction
June: Historical Fiction
July: Free-For-All
August: Mystery
September: Patricia Clarke Memorial Library
October: Non-Fiction
November: Fiction
December: Fantasy
And from the first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I say either go with your original proposal or the last MRBC. Substituting Horror in October makes sense to me also (given the Halloween holiday).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

[QUOTE=John F;4119594]This was from the other thread:

And from the first post:

I say either go with your original proposal or the last MRBC. Substituting Horror in October makes sense to me also (given the Halloween holiday)./QUOTE]

I'm going with the last list I made. I do think for next year we can mix it up but that would be a group decision.
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Welcome everyone. This is the new iteration of the MobileRead Bookclub.

This is where we read books of different genres. We are going to do this monthly.

If anyone has anything to add or wants changed or has any ideas, feel free to say so.

Looks good!
I like these categories, except I'm confused about June vs December. Can someone give a few examples of books which are mystery, and not thriller, suspense, or crime? (I glanced at the categories on a couple of bookshops, but that didn't help.)

When we get to voting, I strongly prefer that we don't require all voters to read whichever book ends up winning. I want to be able to opt out with a clear conscience if the winner turns out to be something I don't want to read.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Looks good!
I like these categories, except I'm confused about June vs December. Can someone give a few examples of books which are mystery, and not thriller, suspense, or crime? (I glanced at the categories on a couple of bookshops, but that didn't help.)

When we get to voting, I strongly prefer that we don't require all voters to read whichever book ends up winning. I want to be able to opt out with a clear conscience if the winner turns out to be something I don't want to read.
Mystery can be detective stories or a murder mystery.
Thriller... Vince Flynn books, Dan Brown books

I won't force anyone to read the winning book. But I would hope if you've voted for the winning book that would read it. Otherwise, why vote for it if you aren't going to read.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
The list looks fun. I'll try to join in on months I can participate. I know we've already started May so not sure about this month with timing yet.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Mystery can be detective stories or a murder mystery.
Thriller... Vince Flynn books, Dan Brown books
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
I won't force anyone to read the winning book. But I would hope if you've voted for the winning book that would read it. Otherwise, why vote for it if you aren't going to read.
Yes, if a book I vote for win, I'm planning to read it, of course. And I'm not saying I will only read books I vote for -- I'm not that picky
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
The list looks fun. I'll try to join in on months I can participate. I know we've already started May so not sure about this month with timing yet.
I'm going to give more time for the May book to be read. There will be some overlap with June.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Going forward, can we have open polling please?
Old 05-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Going forward, can we have open polling please?
Doesn't open polling possibly skew the results?

Say there are two books tied for first place and you were not going to vote for either. Would you then vote for one of them to put it ahead of the other?
Old 05-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Doesn't open polling possibly skew the results?

Say there are two books tied for first place and you were not going to vote for either. Would you then vote for one of them to put it ahead of the other?
People had put forth that argument in the past, and the old club stuck with open polling.

Can we please have open polling, please.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
People had put forth that argument in the past, and the old club stuck with open polling.

Can we please have open polling, please.
Yes, we can go open.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, we can go open.
Thank you.